Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   98-02 2nd Gen. (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   NEW "reman" INDUSTRIAL INJECTION VP44 won't start (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198008)

Foster#17 10-11-2017 08:39 PM

NEW "reman" INDUSTRIAL INJECTION VP44 won't start

Installed my new vp44 tonight and can't get the truck to run unless you use starting fluid. I am 100% sure the keyway is in its slot perfect. I've replaced several of these pumps. It has a fass on it which is working perfect. It just doesn't seem to have any pressure at the injector lines while cranking. If you get it running on starting fluid it will spray half decent but won't run on its own. Also batteries are good and turning over plenty fast. No codes for the injection pump.

raychem 10-12-2017 09:46 AM

Check all electrical and get a scanner on there to check that the cam and crank sensors are syncing. if it does not start on its own you usually will see P1688 codes P0253 codes or somewhere in that range.

Just make sure the Cam sensor was not damaged. It is close to the pump and I have seen them broken or the connector come loose.

BRE 10-12-2017 10:59 AM

Truck ran before pump replacement or???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Foster#17 10-12-2017 11:12 AM

It didn't run before I replaced, i bought it "needing an injection pump" I checked codes with the old pump on there and it had a bunch of codes for it. Replaced with this pump and no codes, checked the wiring going to the pump and everything seems to be good. Power when it needs it and no power when it doesn't need it. And yes I checked with the scanner and cam and crank speeds match, there's just hardly any fuel at the injectors

Justappumped24v 10-12-2017 11:23 AM

Wouldn't be the first Industrail Infection reman I've seen bad from the box. Have you cracked the lines on the back of the pump? And still no flow? I pulled mine apart to reseal the engine and it was a SOB to start it. I just cracked 3 lines on the pump until fuel started to squirt out, tightened them back up and soaked the air filter in ether

BRE 10-12-2017 11:24 AM

Sounds to me like the pump is junk.

dieselbeef 10-12-2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justappumped24v (Post 2639151)
Wouldn't be the first Industrail Infection reman I've seen bad from the box. Have you cracked the lines on the back of the pump? And still no flow? I pulled mine apart to reseal the engine and it was a SOB to start it. I just cracked 3 lines on the pump until fuel started to squirt out, tightened them back up and soaked the air filter in ether

I know ya said you've done this but.....its hard to get em to go sometimes. someones holding the pedal on the floor right..crack the infeed fuel line and when its pissing good then the easy 3 on back of the pump. once theyre pissin good then 3 at the inj..

obvious I know but someone had to say it

except for the ether part.

it does have spark right?:hehe:

BRE 10-12-2017 11:33 AM

Checking here... you used the key that came with the pump right? Not the old one?

dieselbeef 10-12-2017 11:34 AM

got enough flow to the pump cuz maybe that fass is why the old pump is getting replaced...how much fuel press ya got

Justappumped24v 10-12-2017 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieselbeef (Post 2639154)
I know ya said you've done this but.....its hard to get em to go sometimes. someones holding the pedal on the floor right..crack the infeed fuel line and when its pissing good then the easy 3 on back of the pump. once theyre pissin good then 3 at the inj..

obvious I know but someone had to say it

except for the ether part.

it does have spark right?:hehe:

I disconnect the heater grid. Don't wanna be a Deezul Brah

Foster#17 10-12-2017 01:41 PM

14-15 psi from the fass and yes I used the key that came with the pump and yes it was installed the correct direction

zfaylor 10-12-2017 01:52 PM

Let's start here: why was the pump replaced? ie. was it a no start condition prior or just the usual P0216?

Snedge 10-12-2017 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foster#17 (Post 2639188)
14-15 psi from the fass and yes I used the key that came with the pump and yes it was installed the correct direction

You've pretty much narrowed it down to the injector pump. Relay might be bad?

One of my top ten least favorite things is troubleshooting on an engine that I never heard run.

Foster#17 10-12-2017 02:07 PM

I bought the truck for 500 bucks in perfect shape "needing an injection pump" the guy bought a brand new truck and wanted this one gone. I am certain it needed an injection pump from the codes. The new pump is not throwing any codes and the truck fires right up on starting fluid

Foster#17 10-12-2017 02:09 PM

And yes it would not run, that's why he was getting rid of it

Snedge 10-12-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foster#17 (Post 2639198)
I bought the truck for 500 bucks in perfect shape "needing an injection pump" the guy bought a brand new truck and wanted this one gone. I am certain it needed an injection pump from the codes. The new pump is not throwing any codes and the truck fires right up on starting fluid

Okay,,, so hook up an ether tank and drive it to town ??? FWIW, Blown up **** can run on ether.

I'd call the supplier, pull the pump and send it back for a replacement. Not saying that's the fix, but for the cost of shipping you'll have that question answered. If it runs, good, if it doesn't, then you know it's not the pump.

For 500.00 your not hurting bad at all on this...yet.

Foster#17 10-12-2017 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snedge (Post 2639201)
Okay,,, so hook up an ether tank and drive it to town ??? FWIW, Blown up **** can run on ether.

I'd call the supplier, pull the pump and send it back for a replacement. Not saying that's the fix, but for the cost of shipping you'll have that question answered. If it runs, good, if it doesn't, then you know it's not the pump.

For 500.00 your not hurting bad at all on this...yet.

It's not blown up lol, had the head off and put a new head gasket on it, cylinders and pistons look like brand new

Foster#17 10-12-2017 02:55 PM

I have read several posts about industrial injection pumps being junk when you get them. I hope that's not the case but it may be starting to point that direction.

Snedge 10-12-2017 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foster#17 (Post 2639218)
I have read several posts about industrial injection pumps being junk when you get them. I hope that's not the case but it may be starting to point that direction.

:hehe: Didn't say it was blown up, just meant that it running on ether doesn't prove much.

Did you check the fuel filter lid? I have seen those not leak, but suck air. Just drawing at straws here. I still believe that swapping out the pump is your best course of action at this point.

Foster#17 10-12-2017 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snedge (Post 2639226)
:hehe: Didn't say it was blown up, just meant that it running on ether doesn't prove much.

Did you check the fuel filter lid? I have seen those not leak, but suck air. Just drawing at straws here. I still believe that swapping out the pump is your best course of action at this point.

Fuel filter bowl was taken off before I got the truck, the fass is the only thing it has!