Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   98-02 2nd Gen. (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Best tuner for 99 Cummins with SO VP44 (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200183)

Foster#17 05-16-2018 10:13 AM

Best tuner for 99 Cummins with SO VP44

We're in the process of building a drag truck and looking for some opinions on who makes the best tuner for the vp44 trucks. It won't be driven on the road anymore. At the moment it still has a standard output pump on it which will likely change in the future. Looking for something that will allow it to rev to at least 4K as well. Quadzilla, edge? What do you guys recommend for something strictly going to the track.

chevota84 05-16-2018 11:13 AM

Drag comp. I think it still has all the records

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jlbayes 05-16-2018 03:22 PM

You're sadly mistaken if you think spinning 4k is gonna be beneficial.

Very recently quad made good numbers on a monster pump truck. Edge or quad with v2 software.

Foster#17 05-16-2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlbayes (Post 2668252)
You're sadly mistaken if you think spinning 4k is gonna be beneficial.

Very recently quad made good numbers on a monster pump truck. Edge or quad with v2 software.

Right I know that, but if it eventually makes 8-900hp I'm not gonna do that at 3000 rpms and break a rod. Cause that's what that does!

jlbayes 05-16-2018 05:34 PM

You need to find a different injection system as the vp ecm have a very defined power range. It does not currently matter what form of wire tap box you put on there. If you don't believe me go talk to Johnny at stainless. There is a reason he used Edge. The quad v2 tuning was not available at the time sadly.

me78569 05-16-2018 10:00 PM

Edge vs Quad is kinda like applies to oranges.

The Edge holds the records, it's a good box tuner for a 2nd gen if your goal is only put down as much power as possible with the least amount of tuning time.

The Quadzilla gives the end user to ablity to tune their own setup. The huge perks are really on a street driven truck. There is no reason a quad wont put down the same power as the Edge, BUT....(HUGE BUT)....you will absolutely need to spend time tuning it to match your goals. Make no mistake, you will need to spend time tuning the Quadzilla. If you don't you wont be impressed. the only person to blame for a bad quad is the person doing the tuning.

There is no voodoo magic in a VP setup, pass the right commands at the right time and you will make power. One box does not command more fueling than another, they all play by the same rules. Edge just spent time on the dyno to find the point where they should command perk timing and peak duration in order to make the most power.

ramthiscummins 05-17-2018 10:40 AM

I had both the quadzilla and edge comp and liked the edge drag comp the best, I ran a 12.3 in the quarter mile with all terrain street tires, sovp44, mach 7 injectors and 366mm turbo.

SPEEDSHIFT 05-17-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foster#17 (Post 2668204)
We're in the process of building a drag truck and looking for some opinions on who makes the best tuner for the vp44 trucks. It won't be driven on the road anymore. At the moment it still has a standard output pump on it which will likely change in the future. Looking for something that will allow it to rev to at least 4K as well. Quadzilla, edge? What do you guys recommend for something strictly going to the track.

Soooo you want a drag truck, 4k rpm, and it wont be driven on the street... p-pump it. I feel that is the most obvious solution. :what:

J-Pipes 05-17-2018 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEEDSHIFT (Post 2668353)
Soooo you want a drag truck, 4k rpm, and it wont be driven on the street... p-pump it. I feel that is the most obvious solution. :what:

Only took until the 8th reply! Very surprised it wasn't the first. As much as I like my VP truck, of going competition only, either p-pump, or go common rail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Foster#17 05-18-2018 07:59 AM

I already have a 1000hp common rail that I used to race, I just don't wanna beat up my daily driver anymore. It would be nice to p pump it but I don't have the money for that right now. And we're not shooting for a crazy fast truck right now, just something fun to take to the track.

matty169 05-22-2018 09:40 PM

Standard VP......
DRAG COMP
MACH 7 STICKS
SILVER BULLET 64
2WD EX CAB
METH INJECTION
RUNS 11.7 at 118mph

BW 67.7 FMW BILLET RACE COVER
NITROUS
NEVER SHIFTED TO DRIVE AND RAN 11.5 AT 91MPH.....103.9 AT THE 1/8.....and I hit the brakes hard at half track not realizing why it wouldn't go in drive. Launched so hard the seat belt locked me into seat and couldn't reach drive on floor shifter........lol

Turbobark 05-23-2018 05:33 PM

I'm an Edge fan boy, Quadzilla never worked well for me. Haven't used their new stuff, though. Right now I'm running the new Juice competition and have no complaints. If someone handed me a new Quad I would try it, but I might check out the smarty MM3 stuff next!

SixOhh 05-30-2018 09:49 AM

i always had problems with quad back in the day.

you want a drag truck, no money to p-pump and you have big sticks on a stock pump?

Justappumped24v 05-30-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foster#17 (Post 2668481)
I already have a 1000hp common rail that I used to race, I just don't wanna beat up my daily driver anymore. It would be nice to p pump it but I don't have the money for that right now. And we're not shooting for a crazy fast truck right now, just something fun to take to the track.

I’ll have a TS MP8 for sale brand new shortly won it in a raffle and Don’t have a use for it. Back in the day I found the TS mp8 fueled much harder in the top end similar to how a smarty opened up the low end

Hdhorton 05-31-2018 09:13 AM

Drag comp and done. I had the regular comp box with a smarty stacked, ran them separate, had a ts mvp and rode in trucks with quads and tst. Drag comp was my favorite by far. Brought it up to around 3400rpm’s which is honestly more than a stock vp wants anyway. Mine with Weston’s 6x13’s and a 64.5/68 went 7.8’s at around 91-92mph in the 1/8th and the boy I sold it to ran 11.9’s in the 1/4. And I still used it as a daily

8UPRACIN 06-10-2018 02:48 PM

Plug and play run the new Competition Juice CTS2. I have four different boxes and they all are rather close. The only box is the quad or Redline to turn 4k but there won’t be Power there. I trap 10.502@129 at 3563 rpms on the Competition Juice CTS2. With data logging and time the quad also shows good potential