Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   P-Pump 24Valve (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   P24v timing (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199316)

PPUMPFUMMINS 02-11-2018 11:58 AM

P24v timing

So the question is what's the easiest way to set a p-pumped 24v so timing can be set relatively easily? Run a 12v cam gear or adjustable pump gear and have pump pinned at like 20? And what are guys doing for adjusting timing on a p24 that are running a 24v cam gear?

YoungDiesel27 02-11-2018 02:33 PM

Easiest way for future timing is find exact tdc and make a reference for that on your balancer. You could then chart out “x” amount of degrees btdc and use the spill port on the pump and an adjustable pump gear. Gear wouldn’t be necessary but is convenient.

pushlar84 02-11-2018 08:05 PM

Best way I’ve done it is get on compression stroke, remove #1 injector and stick something down the hole just long enough that the piston is close to top of stroke. Rotate clockwise, As the piston just comes up and hits the stop ur using mark the balancer and the cover. Rotate counter clockwise until piston hits ur stop ur stop again, mark the cover. Now exactly half way in between is true top dead center

PPUMPFUMMINS 02-12-2018 06:46 AM

im gonna be using dcs trigger wheel on crank pulley for my rpm signal in my truck, I think I could prolly mark or set up one of those theeth to match tdc on #1, Thanks for the info.

Yotadzl 02-12-2018 10:07 AM

Similarly to the above post, I use a dial indicator on a valve dropped on top of the piston. Bring the #1 piston to TDC compression, remove the valve spring retainers and spring from one valve. Allow it to rest on top of the piston and use a dial indicator to measure travel. Pick a dimension (I use .050") and rotate the engine one way until the piston drops .050, mark the balancer. Rotate the engine the opposite direction until the piston rises to TDC and drops .050". Mark the balancer. In between the two marks is true TDC.

On another note, it would be nice if someone manufactured a timing pointer and degree tape kit for the balancers on 12 and 24 valve engines... Then a person could find TDC and install the tape and pointer, facilitating much easier timing changes.

odieub 05-04-2018 08:30 PM

Power driven diesel makes a magnetic degree wheel that goes on front of balancer. I used a 12v fluid damper on mine made a piece of key stock that fit and tig welded a piece to cover @ top dead center. Worked like a timing pin. Marking the balancer works one time ive seen em move . Its only rubber in between the inner and outer.