1967 RS Duramax Camaro

Going to be headed to to the Total Performance Diesel dyno day on March 14th and run the Camaro on the rollers. Currently running the ppe programmer on level 7, so we shall see what it now makes.

Also planning on attending the nhrda season opener in bakersfield the following weekend. I think I will be able to get into the 11s very easily. Wish me luck...

You might want to consider changing the tuning to EFI live. I think you would be much happier with the results.

You might want to consider changing the tuning to EFI live. I think you would be much happier with the results.

I agree with this statement.

It would be well worth it to have someone that knows what they are doing write a tune for the car. If you had some dyno time with a good tuner that car would easily be in the low 11's high 10's.

I'm definitely going to make the switch to EFI live in the near future. Everyone I talk to has amazing things to say about it's capabilities so I can only imagine at this point what it could do for me. The only thing holding me back is money... which is the reason this thread hasn't been updated in so long. Got married in September, had our honeymoon, then the holidays were pretty rough with work being slow and in turn getting small paychecks. Slowly climbing out of all that, plus I'm about to finish some things I've been working on and hopefully that will allow me to free up some funds so I can continue modifying the Camaro. :Cheer:

Come by the Max'd Out racing toter and truck in Bakersfield and talk to Rob, I'm sure he can give you some good advice. We'll see you there.

Awesome build !!! To think I got rid of my 68 rs to keep me from putting a Cummins in it maybe I should have held on to it.:nail:

Thanks for the kind words, fella's.

Realized I only updated the Camaro's FB page so I wanted to post results here.

The dyno day was fun and got to meet some new people. Something happened to the dyno early on in the day and wasn't operating properly, so I had to put a load on the motor with the brakes, which I had a hard time doing. I know VERY little about dyno's, but Drake has his dyno set up to make a pull from 70mph on up to 110mph.

For the first 2 pulls, in OD with the converter locked, the motor bogged quite a bit and really didn't build boost/make power until the very end of the pull. On the 3rd and final pull, I tried 3rd gear with the converter locked up and made a much better run since I was able to use more rpms (and it really likes rpms...) which got me 433hp. I'm positive it's got quite a bit more in it. The car was getting a little too hot for my liking with the lack of airflow through the radiator so I decided to call it a day.

The following weekend my wife and I towed to Camaro down the Bakersfield for the Spring Diesel Nationals. I decided to sign up for the test and tune class.

Like a dummy, I wasn't paying close enough attention to the announcers booth and missed the call to get in the staging lanes and realized that when I saw other test and tune vehicles racing. I ran back to the pits and drove around to the staging lanes and the track officials were kind enough to let me go. I made a best pass to date of 11.83 at 119mph on the first run.

My second pass I didn't get the tires quite hot enough and lost a ton of traction, which netted me a 13.XX.

On my third attempt, I had a nice long burnout and rolled though the staging lights making sure my tires were nice and sticky. While I was backing up, a very small amount of coolant burped out of my overflow tank and landed on the track. An official spotted it and kicked me out of the lane. I wasn't sure what happened so I pulled to the side and asked what happened, popped the hood to find nothing wrong, and the official said I need to fix the car before I can race again. I said that there was nothing to fix, just a little coolant came out of the tank, and that's when he informed me coolant is not allowed on a race track... I did not know that.

So given how the interaction between he and I went I was a little pissed off, and went back to the pits. The kind folks from the Dmax Store came by and offered to help me drain all my coolant and replace it with water, but I felt there wouldn't have been enough time to get it done before the next and final run for test and tune, so I decided to call it a day.

All in all, I'm happy I made a new personal best, and thats what I took away from the whole trip. I have a list of upgrades I will be making to the Camaro in the near future and have already ordered some parts that are on their way to me right now.

I guarentee there were a lot of vehicles racing that day that were running coolant. All the street driven and T&T were I'd almost bet. The dedicated race trucks and probably the 10.90 trucks were probably (or should be) running straight water. The 11.90 and slower usually don't. You want to make sure you have a catch can just on the chance it burbs like yours did. Coolant is a bugger to clean off of a track.

Nice on the new time! My car never dynos well either, it always dynos lower than what the calculators show when you run the 1/4. If you go to straight water, get water wetter to add in it so it doesn't rust up and start corroding your cooling system. Also, add a burp tank from your over flow to catch any that may be pushed out if you have some room. It isn't fun with those big tires if it makes it to the track. :)

Last edited:
Cool to hear that you are having fun with the car!!!

:Cheer:

I guarentee there were a lot of vehicles racing that day that were running coolant. All the street driven and T&T were I'd almost bet. The dedicated race trucks and probably the 10.90 trucks were probably (or should be) running straight water. The 11.90 and slower usually don't. You want to make sure you have a catch can just on the chance it burbs like yours did. Coolant is a bugger to clean off of a track.

Definitely going to add a catch can. Really sucks such a minor detail that I didn't realize I needed kept me from running again.

Nice on the new time! My car never dynos well either, it always dynos lower than what the calculators show when you run the 1/4. If you go to straight water, get water wetter to add in it so it doesn't rust up and start corroding your cooling system. Also, add a burp tank from your over flow to catch any that may be pushed out if you have some room. It isn't fun with those big tires if it makes it to the track. :)

Will do, thanks for the input. Your vette has been a bit of inspiration for guys like me. Ever get those trans issues figured out?

Will do, thanks for the input. Your vette has been a bit of inspiration for guys like me. Ever get those trans issues figured out?

We think so. It'll actually build about 12psi of boost before pushing through the brakes now. We were going to take it to a track last fall but the weather killed that. Hopefully it'll make it to an event in June. We shall see.

Just found this thread and must say that's one awesome ride y'all built . I think your high mph on your runs may be due to wheel spin??

I had a custom drag bike running 1/8th at 130mph but at a 6.3 . It was just spinning most of the way down was the reason for my high mph and slow times.

Back