Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   LB7 GM Duramax (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Allison 1000 Shift Kits (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4678)

Hardtailxxx 11-07-2006 01:28 PM

Allison 1000 Shift Kits

1 Attachment(s)
I did alot of research before hand and heard only negative comments, so I thought I would post my thoughts on the Bully Dog shift kits now that I have done the installation of both their kits on my rig. I started with the Super Aggressive Kit on my '03 GMC and It was nothing short of SUPER AGGRESSIVE! I thought I would pop u-joints just driving around town, but when you actually are laying in to it from a light you couldn't ask for anything better from a tire chirping kit that installs in under an hour for a hundred bucks. It gives you an "unrefined I'm in gear, hold on feeling". Now, don't get me wrong, I love doing all the best mods and nailing down on it from a light and wasting the kid in his daddy's 'Vette, but to each his own. All in all, the Super Aggressive kit is too much to be streetable in my opinion, but if you are a sled pulling stocker or racing I can see its use. After I found the Super Aggressive kit to be less than streetable, I installed the Shift Enhancer kit. It is exactly that, a enhancer, it would be right between stock and the Super Aggressive kit by the seat of the pants feel giving a more firm, quicker than stock, positive shift. Based on this I would think the shift enhancer kit is probably what 75% of the people out there with the daily driven LB7's would want- towing, crusing, controled street racing and at the least staying streetable. I am always in search of better upgrades and ways, so I thought I would try the shift kits myself. Any body else have thoughts about it?
:rockwoot:

Mark Craig 11-08-2006 08:35 AM

Hardtailxxx,

You're exactly correct, we sell the enhancer 99% of the time as the aggressive is just too much for the majority of folks.

Mark @ DPPI

bartc_2 01-24-2007 08:48 PM

what kind of power levels is this enhancer good for... im guessing if you are making more then stock power a tq converter is a must

Noreaster 01-25-2007 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bartc_2
what kind of power levels is this enhancer good for...

The bullydog kit is worthless, Transgo is a good shift kit. That will hold up to 500hp with a TC

[/QUOTE]
im guessing if you are making more then stock power a tq converter is a must[/QUOTE]Not really, but it will limit the power you put down. After 350hp you need a beefy TC

moss 01-25-2007 12:24 PM

hardtail, put 300 miles on it. you wil never know it was there. you cant fool the tcm that easily

gunracer1 01-25-2007 01:59 PM

we put the bully dog kit in my friends truck, it was a waste of time and money as far as he is concerned.

Burner 01-25-2007 03:07 PM

Bully parts are just that.......Bull. :rules: A little Allison education will go a long way. ;)

Want a real transmission? Call one of our vendors here and ask them what they recommend. You said your parts came from Mark @ DPPI, ask him what REALLY works, a SunCoast Allison. :rockwoot:

Mike L. 01-25-2007 05:00 PM

Think it was last year that Joe Webb told me he had the bully dog Dodge in his shop for trans work. Seems they couldn't figure out why it didn't work properly and wanted Suncoast to fix it.

lukesdiesel 04-08-2007 12:11 PM

If your looking for a better shift then the Bully Dog Kits are the way to go... If you want a full blown tranny..... then Suncoast

:Cheer:

Burner 04-08-2007 05:37 PM

Luke..........we are talking Allison here. It is a whole other game than the wheel and cog your Dodge has in it. And, I'll ask you this... What makes a clutch cone?

lukesdiesel 04-14-2007 09:10 AM

Wheel and Cog LOL

Two conical surfaces to transmit friction and torque

Burner 04-14-2007 01:40 PM

....eerrmmm, not really what I'm talking about.

lukesdiesel 04-14-2007 09:59 PM

I would agree that a fully built Suncoast or ATS tranny is what you want. But not everyone can afford a $4000-$8000 race tranny. With a mild HP increase the Bully Dog or Transgo Shift kits will work alot better than stock.

*nx*

Noreaster 04-15-2007 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukesdiesel
I would agree that a fully built Suncoast or ATS tranny is what you want. But not everyone can afford a $4000-$8000 race tranny.

If you want to play you have to pay sometime.

Quote:

With a mild HP increase the Bully Dog or Transgo Shift kits will work alot better than stock.
Bully Dog shouldn't even be mentioned, it doesn't do a damn thing. A Trans Go by itself won't do much without a TC.
Add up a TC $1300, transgo $200, C1-C3 Allison clutches(cause ya probably burnt them allready) $300 & boost modifier valve $90= $1890
Suncoast stage 3-$2260
spend the extra 370 on kit to do it right

lukesdiesel 04-15-2007 08:51 AM

So if you just want to have firmer shifts what do you recommend?

Burner 04-15-2007 12:17 PM

Doing it right the first time........Sun Coast. :Cheer:

Look at the vendor list here and see how many folks sell Sun Coast. ;)

lukesdiesel 04-15-2007 06:52 PM

Suncoast and ATS......

:woohoo:

Noreaster 04-16-2007 06:41 AM

Quote:

TCM programming

Mike L. 04-16-2007 09:16 AM

Quote:

You do not want firmir shifts on the Alli, you want quicker. Firm shifts usually indicate a tie-up.

Hardtailxxx 04-19-2007 11:06 AM

From MOSS:

"hardtail, put 300 miles on it. you wil never know it was there. you cant fool the tcm that easily"

Hey, MOSS, thought I would list an update now that I have over 13,000 miles on the shift enhancer kit. Still feels the same as when I put it in, quick firm shifts.:what: