Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Caterpilllar (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Cat 933 crawler loader (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154313)

Meyers Farms 05-19-2013 01:51 PM

Cat 933 crawler loader

I was at an auction yesterday and came across a Cat 933 crawler loader. I've always wanted a small loader for clearing fence rows and around fields. After finding the owner and getting the story on the loader I ended up buying it. Everything works on the loader and the undercarriage seems to be in okay shape. I got manuals and receipts with my purchase. The loader is a diesel with direct start.

I'm new to owning a loader so anything in particular I should look for? Any maintenance procedures you recommend? Anything else I should know about this machine?

Thanks in advance! I'm anxious to operate this thing!

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/g...3948F067F0.jpg

keifferscummins 05-19-2013 05:43 PM

Tracks look shot to me. can't beat having a crawler on the farm!

gwhammy 05-19-2013 06:32 PM

How much wear does the undercarrage have. If its wore just keep the tracks fairly tight. It will wear faster but jumping a track ain't no fun. My 963 had the pins wore completely threw the outer shell on the pins and I still got a few hundred hours out of them.

Looks to be in decent shape bucket hasn't been beat or pried on.

Be careful pushing trees with no kind of cage over you. I've ran one kind of like it years ago, they will do alot of work but you know it at the end of the day.

mfsuper90 05-19-2013 09:05 PM

Either the tracks are really wore, or they are low profile type tracks.
You'll enjoy it on the farm! I was pushing dirt with our D6 today actually

Charger 05-19-2013 10:44 PM

try to find the roll over protection/roof set up

Meyers Farms 05-20-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwhammy (Post 2081435)
How much wear does the undercarrage have. If its wore just keep the tracks fairly tight. It will wear faster but jumping a track ain't no fun. My 963 had the pins wore completely threw the outer shell on the pins and I still got a few hundred hours out of them.

Looks to be in decent shape bucket hasn't been beat or pried on.

Be careful pushing trees with no kind of cage over you. I've ran one kind of like it years ago, they will do alot of work but you know it at the end of the day.

The undercarriage is okay shape. A good friend of mine used to rebuild them and he inspected it; said it has a lot of life left.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfsuper90 (Post 2081548)
Either the tracks are really wore, or they are low profile type tracks.
You'll enjoy it on the farm! I was pushing dirt with our D6 today actually

I believe they are a shallow pad. I've looked around online and it matches the tracks of other 933's of the same vintage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charger (Post 2081656)
try to find the roll over protection/roof set up

I have some steel to build a 4 post canopy. Won't be rollover protection, but good enough to protect from falling debris and the sun.

Charger 05-20-2013 05:45 PM

I had a 944, those are called street pads on crawlers and excavators, I did a call once where a operator flipped a d9 off the side of a a garbage dump, rolled it 6-7 times then 30 yards straight down, he was only knocked unconscious, you can't beat that roll over stuff

ACFarmer 05-21-2013 05:48 PM

Those pads are made for loader crawlers. Makes it easier when you are spinning around and what not with a full bucket. No as much stress on the U/C. We have a 955 and use the crap out of it. They are handy as hell.

gwhammy 05-21-2013 05:51 PM

Most loaders use street pads. I welded cleets on a 955 once, bad idea. It would push the world but tore the rearend and axles up with a guy that didn't know when to stop. My 963 has single grousers but a hydrostat machine will bypass unlike a clutch or power shift trans.

Most don't realize how handy a loader is over a dozer.

Charger 05-21-2013 06:51 PM

I guess if it were mine, I would paint it and sell it, and get one with the 4 in 1 loader bucket and roll over

Meyers Farms 05-22-2013 06:05 PM

Got the ol girl home today, along with a 47 JD A (fathers day present). The loader fired right up and operated flawlessly. The only issue I noticed is there is a couple pads stuck together that make for a really rough ride! Once I get those freed up and check out everything she will be ready to work.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/g...2280D01981.jpg

gwhammy 05-22-2013 07:57 PM

Wish I had your lowboy and you had a better one. I'm hauling a 963 on a pintle hitch behind a dump truck! Except it's a hair low for the roads around here.

Meyers Farms 05-25-2013 10:23 AM

Unfortunately that's not my lowboy. That's just the trucking company I had move it along with the truck driver in the picture. The driver had already dumped the airbags so it rides a little higher going down the road. A 963 is a good load especially depending on the size of the dumptruck.

02Dmax 05-25-2013 12:10 PM

Pour some ATF or diesel fuel on those stuck rail links. Usually frees them up after you run it a bit. I'd wait to tighten them up until its freed up though. If you tighten that rail while those links are still sticking it'll pop and crack and probably tear up your tensioner or other U/C components. Looks like a straight old machine though. Diamond Attachments might have ROPS for that thing cheaper than you can build them. I buy sweeps and ROPS from them all the time.

02Dmax 05-25-2013 12:14 PM

I'd also get a guard for that rear end fab'd up pronto. No big deal if you're just digging dirt but if you head to the timber you'll want that opening closed up for sure.

cummins724 05-27-2013 08:51 PM

If you are interested in a backhoe attachment for that thing, let me know. I have one off a 931 which I believe will work on the 933 as well. I'll sell it cheap. It is just taking up room behind my shop.

Bigphil54 05-27-2013 09:06 PM

We have one of these that my grandfather ran out of oil years ago and I just haven't had the motivation to rip into it. Can't imagine the stuff I would tear up with it. Its bad enough with just a bobcat lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Swamp Star 05-28-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwhammy (Post 2084001)
Wish I had your lowboy and you had a better one. I'm hauling a 963 on a pintle hitch behind a dump truck! Except it's a hair low for the roads around here.

Not even sketchy........ A 63 is a heavy beotch to be on a tag trailer.

Meyers Farms 05-28-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02Dmax (Post 2085664)
Pour some ATF or diesel fuel on those stuck rail links. Usually frees them up after you run it a bit. I'd wait to tighten them up until its freed up though. If you tighten that rail while those links are still sticking it'll pop and crack and probably tear up your tensioner or other U/C components. Looks like a straight old machine though. Diamond Attachments might have ROPS for that thing cheaper than you can build them. I buy sweeps and ROPS from them all the time.

I ran it for about 4 hours Sat., after I oiled the tracks and that helped. They aren't totally free yet. I have them soaking with oil and diesel fuel right now. Thanks for the Diamond idea, I will check into that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02Dmax (Post 2085668)
I'd also get a guard for that rear end fab'd up pronto. No big deal if you're just digging dirt but if you head to the timber you'll want that opening closed up for sure.

I have a guard for it, the driver just removed it for transport.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cummins724 (Post 2086630)
If you are interested in a backhoe attachment for that thing, let me know. I have one off a 931 which I believe will work on the 933 as well. I'll sell it cheap. It is just taking up room behind my shop.

Where are you located?

tank21pa 06-05-2013 02:09 PM

He is in SW pa