Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   7.3 Powerstroke (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   '99 7.3l Oil Leak (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17547)

Bobus 11-07-2007 12:46 AM

'99 7.3l Oil Leak

I was comin back from California when my fathers '99 F350 7.3l Auto sprung a Oil Leak. Its Engine oil, and it seems to be running down the back of the engine, bellhousing. I was told to Check the Steel Braided lines that attach to the HPOP to the Head, but they don't seem to be it.. Could it be the Oil Galley Plug in the Head? Or a Rear Main Seal? The truck has 252K Miles so i figure anything is possible thanks..

strokin_early99 11-07-2007 11:49 AM

check all to the plugs on the head. I think there are 2 on each head, maybe 3. Check the lines from the HPOP to the head and check the IPR on the side of the HPOP. The IPR is a typical part that needs new O rings once in a while. Also check how tight the turbo pedestal bolt are. If the turbo works loose, there are two O rings in there that can leak. If those parts are all good then it could be the rear main seal.

Let us know what you find.

Snedge 11-07-2007 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobus
I was comin back from California when my fathers '99 F350 7.3l Auto sprung a Oil Leak. Its Engine oil, and it seems to be running down the back of the engine, bellhousing. I was told to Check the Steel Braided lines that attach to the HPOP to the Head, but they don't seem to be it.. Could it be the Oil Galley Plug in the Head? Or a Rear Main Seal? The truck has 252K Miles so i figure anything is possible thanks..

I bet thats what you'll find. The plug has got an o-ring seal on it.

HuckleBerry 04-24-2008 01:38 AM

HuckleBerry

i got an oil leak just started it seems like its dripping between the trans and engine or it mite be running down the back of the engine...i was just seeing if any of you been through this all ready or mite have some helpful tips on what it mite be or what parts to check first........thanks

its an 2002 f250 crew auto 7.3l 4x4

Blue01F250 04-24-2008 01:46 AM

turbo pedistal o-rings, hpop o-rings, and all the things they said above - if you get on top of your engine and look in the valley, I bet you'll find a shiny black "puddle" down there...

HuckleBerry 04-24-2008 09:23 AM

you are right theres two puddles on top in the valley one up front and one to the back of engine ...could it be an plug or an o-ring ...thank you

HuckleBerry 04-24-2008 06:51 PM

I found the oil leak it was an o-ring on the left side of the "hpop" thanks you guys are very helpful.

during the search for the oil leak i change the fuel filter and know the truck won't idle.....do you have to repressurerize the fuel system.

2002 f250 7.3 crew cab auto 4x4

Blue01F250 04-24-2008 10:03 PM

you just removed the filter and replaced it and now it won't idle? is the fuel bowl filling up? also -- is there enough oil in the hpop... it fires the injectors, so if its low on oil, the truck won't run properly...

arisley 04-27-2008 10:42 AM

Probably got some air in the lines while replacing the o-ring. Drive it and let the air work out.

HuckleBerry 05-02-2008 11:52 PM

i tried to drive it but the truck just died and a check engine light cam on so i scanned it and the code was P0605 so i checked the chilton and it says (PCM read only memory test error) could that be caused a sensor or do i got to open the wallet for a new PCM............sorry i took so long i was drinking alot of "whiskey" ripping some hair out please get back to me i appreciate bud with any in put

Blue01F250 05-03-2008 06:58 AM

P0605 Internal Control Module ROM Error

The P0605 will show if there has been a progrmmer or chip installed on the PCM. If there is not one of these installed then you need to trace this code further. If there is a chip or programmer then disregard this code.

This is some of what I found while snooping around -- seems it could be lots of things.. do some searching for that code on some PSD sites and you'll find all sorts of stuff to check. Another thing was the ICP sensor plug may be dirty since you changed o-rings and might need to be cleaned...

HuckleBerry 05-03-2008 11:02 AM

Blue01f250 I'm The Secon Owner Of The Truck I Didn't Put A Chip Or Programmer In, Is Their A Way To Tell Or A Way To Get Rid Of It.....thank For The In Put

Blue01F250 05-03-2008 04:46 PM

Chip will be easy to tell -- you will likely have to remove the PCM (unless the black plastic cover is missing) This isn't that tough to do, just tedious.. it requires removing a couple screws in the firewall from the engine side - then you can remove the pcm and cover (may be a few extra screws, as I cannot remember off the top of my head) and there should be NOTHING attached to the end of the PCM (there should be a small black cover over where the chip would be) If you remove that cover, and the contacts are not completely and very well covered with silicone, then it had been chipped...

HuckleBerry 05-03-2008 05:25 PM

I will try this today and i will get back to you.....i went to a local dealers web site put in the vin# and it came up with a recall on a 2002 7.3l for the cam position sensor could that be something.....thanks for getting back to me

HuckleBerry 05-03-2008 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i just took pcm out and it looked underneath the black plate and all the pins look
like they are covered in silicone looks like they never been scraped off....can you tell if theres been a programmer in or possible i need a PCM and if so if anybody no of a place to get one with all programming and updates....thanks again i will be in & out.

HuckleBerry 05-04-2008 02:44 AM

I Put The Pcm Back In The Truck Connected The Batteries Back Up And Truck Won't Start Checked The Batteries And They Are 13.8 Volts Truck Cranks But Won't Fire Rescanned It And There's No Dtc's To Be Found Is There A Fuse Or Relay For The Pcm Or A Fuse Even A Possibliity.... Thanks To All So Far

Blue01F250 05-05-2008 09:05 AM

the CPS could cause the truck not to start.. and yes its been recalled because it has been failing on trucks sinec they came out.. its a $30 part and takes about 15-30 min to change -- It could keep the truck from starting, but one would think you'd be getting a CMP/CPS type of code...

its hard to tell from that picture if the silicone is on or not, but if you say it is, then it likely hasn't been tuned, and I'm just going by what I've read on forums... but it may be time for a new pcm :(

there are fuses under the dash and also fuses under the driverside of the hood in the engine bay -- grab your owners manual and check the fuses that it says are/could be pcm related.. or hell, check them all for that fact...

HuckleBerry 05-05-2008 11:18 AM

does the dealer just replace the cps thats it or do they do so programming ....some one said they update the pcm if so does any one know of a good place to order a new pcm or should i just go to the dealer....i'm going to order a new cps today and install it myself because the tow to the dealer would cost a $150
thanks....Blue01F250 for getting back to me

Blue01F250 05-05-2008 01:53 PM

keep your receipt and you should be able to get reimbursed for your cps - or ask them at the dealership how you could do it because you don't want to have your truck towed...

I can't say for positive, but I think a pcm is under the $200 range..

no problem on getting back to you -- I am by no means an expert, just passing on some info I've read on forums.. take everything I say with caution and check them out for yourself.. I do NOT want to cause you to just throw parts at it... but hopefully just aid in gathering info :)

HuckleBerry 05-05-2008 10:23 PM

i mint the CMP was recalled not the CPS and i ordered one today.....the PCM for $200.00 were is that at i checked one place and they want $500.00 and my old one if any one know of any other place please let me i would appreciate it.

2002 f250 7.3L PSD 4x4 automatic 4R100 crewcab only upgrade is the new hill killer trans.