Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   P-Pump 24Valve (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   A Few Questions: Cam, Throttle Cable (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198872)

AKDieseL 01-05-2018 01:49 AM

A Few Questions: Cam, Throttle Cable

I know I'm kind of beating a long dead horse and I'm years behind, but I read thru every post on this forum that might have the answers to my questions, but couldn't find them. I've been reading for 2 days during any spare minute.

2001 near stock with manual transmission. Approx. 500k miles.
I believe I know of everything I need for the swap, but I'm wondering if I can modify my 24v throttle cable/pump linkage to work, or if I need to get a 12v cable or adapter kit. (Speedo and cruise already don't work, so if anything affected those specifically, I don't think it would be imperative).

Also, because of my budget, I was planning on running my current (stock) cam/cam gear with the pump swap, instead of buying bolt-together cam and gear, until I start pushing for more power. Is this a bad idea?

Lastly, I need to figure out the oil and fuel fittings, but I can chase those down myself from the interwebs and other posts, unless someone happened to know them off the top of their head.

Thanks in advance for any help.

79powerwagon 01-05-2018 06:35 AM

I did a complete 12v swap but used the 24v apps/throttle,

Adapted it to the side of the ppump and ran a heim joint linkage from the bottom side of 24v throttle lever (hole needs to be drilled in lever to bolt on heim joint) back to the pump lever.

Just my opinion on the cam but there's never going to be a better time to upgrade...

Stormin08 01-05-2018 07:06 AM

i believe crazy carl makes an apps mount plate for the fender well...

and the Grey Goat Thread in the 24v section has a full linkage swap from the 12v...check with wade (thundergunder) thread owner.

jlbayes 01-05-2018 08:27 AM

I used a stock cam as I was told all across the Internets it wouldn't make power. I have zero complaints about using the stock cam. I did drill and tap it for a retainer.

AKDieseL 01-05-2018 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79powerwagon (Post 2650716)
I did a complete 12v swap but used the 24v apps/throttle,

Adapted it to the side of the ppump and ran a heim joint linkage from the bottom side of 24v throttle lever (hole needs to be drilled in lever to bolt on heim joint) back to the pump lever.

Just my opinion on the cam but there's never going to be a better time to upgrade...

Could you show me a pic of that throttle cable set up?

And you are right about the cam, money is the issue tho. By my estimate I still need about $4-500 in parts for the swap, adding a cam and gear is like another $700 minimum.

jlbayes 01-05-2018 02:13 PM

Use the stock cam. The isb vp cam is one of the best factory cams imo. Just buy a gear retainer and bolt. Takes 10min to drill and tap it.

wilmesbm 01-05-2018 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlbayes (Post 2650737)
I used a stock cam as I was told all across the Internets it wouldn't make power. I have zero complaints about using the stock cam. I did drill and tap it for a retainer.

Are you running a 13mm pump or still a 12mm?

TheSilverBullet 01-05-2018 10:25 PM

Crazy Carl’s kit is 170 bucks if you want bolt on. I made my own for about 40 bucks if you google it there’s a lot of guys that’s made brackets to bolt the apps on the P7100.

AKDieseL 01-06-2018 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSilverBullet (Post 2650833)
Crazy Carl’s kit is 170 bucks if you want bolt on. I made my own for about 40 bucks if you google it there’s a lot of guys that’s made brackets to bolt the apps on the P7100.

I just grabbed a locals Crazy Carl bracket. Gonna fab one up tomorrow hopefully. Then I just need the heim joints/rod and make the other brackets.

jlbayes 01-08-2018 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilmesbm (Post 2650778)
Are you running a 13mm pump or still a 12mm?

13mm is on it now.