Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   F1 Diesel (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Sorry for UPS's screw-up (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152089)

randallp84 04-01-2013 01:41 PM

Sorry for UPS's screw-up

I don't know how frequently F1 logs on to CompD, but this is the only way I know to contact you. My name is Scott Pennington from Monument, NM and I just ordered a whole set of injectors from you. As you are probably aware, UPS screwed up and apparently delivered my injectors to the wrong house today. They have started an investigation and are attempting to find the package. I have asked my wife to go to the neighbors' houses and see if she can find it.

I'm posting this message to let you know that this is in no way your fault. UPS did the same thing about a year ago with a transmission jack that I ordered online.

I want you to know that I am not trying to scam you and as I understand it, you will have to pay if they cannot locate the package. I think it is completely unfair that you might have to pay for UPS's mistake. From now on, when I get something shipped UPS, I will attempt to get in touch with the driver the day the package is supposed to be delivered or the day before and make sure they know which house is mine.

I am beyond pissed right now because I have been looking forward to experiencing F1 injectors for a long time. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I'm not trying to screw you over and I will let you know if my wife is able to find the package.

randallp84 04-01-2013 02:09 PM

The wife checked the neighbors' houses and didn't see a package anywhere :mad:

Joesixpack 04-01-2013 02:21 PM

Dude I don't think F1 is on the hook for shipping to an address that you provided.

Snedge 04-01-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joesixpack (Post 2045071)
Dude I don't think F1 is on the hook for shipping to an address that you provided.

They sure aren't.

randallp84 04-01-2013 02:25 PM

The address on the package was correct, and I agree that F1 is not on the hook. It should be UPS.

DirtyMaxx03 04-01-2013 02:32 PM

If your injectors don't show up, that's your problem between UPS and yourself. F1 doesn't need to do ****.

TheBac 04-01-2013 02:36 PM

It will only be on UPS if F1 insured the package, and UPS's investigation doesnt retrieve it from the neighbor. I hope you get your injectors or UPS has to pay for a set of new ones. As a UPS driver, both F1 and this customer have my apologies, but unfortunately mistakes do happen. We are human after all....

As it is, you should be asking WHY the driver has made this same mistake twice (or two drivers made the same mistake). Do you have a clear, easy to see and read number on your house or are you forcing these drivers to guess where you live? Is your house number "out of order" on your street? Are the house numbers the same, just different streets? Training area where you are dealing with newbies?

The other thing that really sucks are the sheer number of dishonest people out there....that when a package is mis-delivered to their home, they keep it, no matter what the contents are. These people are scum, and there are a lot of them out there.

There are too many variables to sit here and skewer the driver. Try sitting in that seat for a few days and see what we have to deal with, and you'll understand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyMaxx03 (Post 2045077)
If your injectors don't show up, that's your problem between UPS and yourself. F1 doesn't need to do ****.

Wrong. Consignees DO NOT initiate claims. Shippers must do it. He has to contact F1, and they have to start the claim process. The followup attempt to have the driver retrieve the package is the first step. Loss Prevention will get involved after this. Then, if necessary, the local authorities will be called in.

JasonCzerak 04-01-2013 02:45 PM

Thought the sender has more control over a lost/damaged package then the receiver?

randallp84 04-01-2013 02:45 PM

UPS has contacted F1 and F1 has initiated the claim. As for why this has happened twice, yes my house is somewhat difficult to find if all you have to go by is the address because the numbers don't make any sense. However, the number is posted on the front of my house and if they're not sure where to deliver the package, my phone number is on the damn label so they could call me and ask if they have the correct house. UPS has successfully delivered several packages to my house so I know they can do it.

JoshH 04-01-2013 02:46 PM

I'm not sure why it happened, but a few months back, I installed a transfer case in a truck that had a pump rub issue. The core was packaged in the box the replacement came in with the same packing material. It was sufficiently taped and stapled with the big box staples so the box would not come open during shipment. It was sent out, and at some point got lost in a sorting center in Colorado. When it finally arrived to it's destination, there was only packing material in the box, no transfer case. We filed a claim with UPS. They did an investigation, but they said they didn't know what happened. Since the package wasn't insured, they refunded us the shipping cost, but we had to eat the core charge. I have no idea how a transfer case can just go missing, but it is a weird mystery that has always made me wonder. I know it's sort of off topic, but it goes along with missing UPS packages.

autoferret 04-01-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBac (Post 2045082)
It will only be on UPS if F1 insured the package, and UPS's investigation doesnt retrieve it from the neighbor. I hope you get your injectors or UPS has to pay for a set of new ones. As a UPS driver, both F1 and this customer have my apologies, but unfortunately mistakes do happen. We are human after all....

As it is, you should be asking WHY the driver has made this same mistake twice (or two drivers made the same mistake). Do you have a clear, easy to see and read number on your house or are you forcing these drivers to guess where you live? Is your house number "out of order" on your street? Are the house numbers the same, just different streets? Training area where you are dealing with newbies?

The other thing that really sucks are the sheer number of dishonest people out there....that when a package is mis-delivered to their home, they keep it, no matter what the contents are. These people are scum, and there are a lot of them out there.

There are too many variables to sit here and skewer the driver. Try sitting in that seat for a few days and see what we have to deal with, and you'll understand.

Wrong. Consignees DO NOT initiate claims. Shippers must do it. He has to contact F1, and they have to start the claim process. The followup attempt to have the driver retrieve the package is the first step. Loss Prevention will get involved after this. Then, if necessary, the local authorities will be called in.

I dont ship UPS to my house anymore b/c my driver likes the throw my packages at my doorbell and run before my dogs bark...

TheBac 04-01-2013 02:53 PM

You should have asked them to check Overgoods, Josh. Bet anything the original box was damaged, the Tcase fell out, or the label was obscured or lost, so the sort had no idea where the Tcase was going or where it came from. ALWAYS include a second address label inside the packaging.

O/P----sounds like you live on a training area, or a residential area used as "filler" for several routes to get them up to minimum dispatch levels. You may want to review the addressing on your home -- maybe use one of those green 911 signs at your mailbox? Anything to help us ID the house, esp if the addresses are "screwed up" on your street.

Ferret....its something more than the dogs barking....maybe they were aggressive to the driver in the past?? That'll get you poor service faster than anything. Im surprised they even kept delivering to your home if they felt threatened by your dogs. I can tell you a lot of "dog" stories, both good and bad. The bad ones Ive dealt with pick up their packages at our center, or get their items delivered where they work or to a neighbor. Simpler and cheaper on their insurance claims that way. ;)

Scooter's Roofing 04-01-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyMaxx03 (Post 2045077)

Not true. Onus is on the shipper.

autoferret 04-01-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBac (Post 2045099)
Ferret....its something more than the dogs barking....maybe they were aggressive to the driver in the past?? That'll get you poor service faster than anything. Im surprised they even kept delivering to your home if they felt threatened by your dogs. I can tell you a lot of "dog" stories, both good and bad. The bad ones Ive dealt with pick up their packages at our center, or get their items delivered where they work or to a neighbor. Simpler and cheaper on their insurance claims that way. ;)

I have 2 small dogs. One is all bark, the other is following the others lead. And they are inside a house w/ windows and doors closed. So i see no need to fear them. And 90% of the time its non-signed packages. Just don't see the need to toss and run

GOT-Torque 04-01-2013 03:39 PM

I'd like to know where all these lost parts go? The usps has lost more items than I can remember (both coming and going to me), somewhere there has to be a pile of parts about 1 mile long. Do they have an auction or what?

HightechRedneck 04-01-2013 04:01 PM

Jesse, I did successfully get both of your packages today. Guess my the only lucky one that has to knock on wood frequently. Never had an issue with ups yet.

4x4dually 04-01-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autoferret (Post 2045095)
I dont ship UPS to my house anymore b/c my driver likes the throw my packages at my doorbell and run before my dogs bark...

Our driver is scared of my two large dogs.....regardless of how many times I've told him they sound vicious but would only lick his legs if he stepped out. They just drive in, find the closest vehicle, trailer, tractor, etc and throw the packages on top. It doesn't help that google maps shows our address 5 miles south of our actual house. :( I actually found a package thrown in the kids sandbox one day.

I hope you find your injectors, OP!

Kphilpott 04-01-2013 04:17 PM

You would be surprised the things that are floating around in those sorting building. I build conveyor sorters and all that stuff for a living. We were doing a tear out on a DHL building that closed back in 08 and when we were pulling out a drive we looked inside it and found a large envelope. So we open it out of curiosity it was to DHL from their insurance company and inside was a check for $60k! So don't feel bad they lose just as much of their own stuff as they do everyone else's.
You would honestly be amazed at the little holes that nothing is supposed to fall in that lots of things end up falling into and disappearing forever.

randallp84 04-01-2013 05:11 PM

I think they're making some progress. Called the local UPS office and the lady said the package was picked up from the incorrect house.

TheBac 04-01-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOT-Torque (Post 2045119)
I'd like to know where all these lost parts go? The usps has lost more items than I can remember (both coming and going to me), somewhere there has to be a pile of parts about 1 mile long. Do they have an auction or what?

We have large warehouses where all the "lost" packages go. If you call customer service and describe what the item was and where it was shipped from/to, they may be able to find it. I have heard that items are held for up to 12 months, if not claimed in that time, are then sold at auctions.

Ferret, Id recommend making an attempt to talk to the driver about it, or leave a note on the door (with large UPS at top so he sees it) describing your disappointment in his poor service and asking him not to toss packages. If that doesnt work, then file a complaint thru the customer service number.

Ive had to go out and retrieve misdelivered packages before. Its can be a common occurrence when the regular driver is on vacation. Subs can never possibly know all the particulars on a route, as they only do it maybe 3-4 weeks a year.

I sure hope the O/P gets his injectors back.