Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Diesel Tech (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Best shock absorbers? (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113416)

VMAX 06-16-2011 08:13 PM

subscribing

dieselduck 06-22-2011 09:22 PM

I put all 4 KYB's on tonight. Strong shocks, you can hardly compress them by hand to get them in the top tower. Took a short ride on a bad road, they are very composed. Before the truck would bob up and down like a pogo, not now. They seem firm, but not harsh. I like the ride, well worth the $246.

Thanks Unbroken for the recomendation.

:Cheer:

dieselduck 06-25-2011 03:27 PM

Drove the truck some more, I noticed it hooks up much better now. Used to lift the nose and spin, but now it just goes. Noticable decrease in nose dive under hard braking as well.

kleann 06-25-2011 03:29 PM

Are they smooth riding?

dieselduck 06-25-2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kleann (Post 1489871)
Are they smooth riding?

Not bad, a little firmer that stock, but a lot more composure. If that makes sence. A lot less wollowing around, no more pogo effect, and better braking/traction due to less body roll, both side to side and front to back.

Funny how something you rarely think about can literaly change the entire feel of the truck.

The truck now feels kind of slow, I suppose because the nose isn't in the air under hard aceleration now.

UNBROKEN 06-26-2011 08:42 AM

Glad you liked them...would hate for someone to spend money on my recommendation and hate them.

What most people think is that the shocks control the body....they don't.
Shocks control the unsprung weight on the vehicle...wheels, tires, brake compenents, etc.
If you have bigger or heavier wheels and tires...you NEED firmer shocks to control those things better.....all that translates into a better feeling ride.

I run 4wd front shocks on the rear of my truck because I couldn't find a rear shock for a 2wd that was firm enough to control my heavy ass wheels likeI wanted....I even went as far as moving the rear lower shock mounts out closer to the wheels to improve leverage for the shock. You'd be surprised at how much difference that alone makes.

jponder 06-26-2011 10:14 AM

I have never seen such a clear runaway winner like this poll

UNBROKEN 06-26-2011 02:05 PM

Just another case of people believing the hype.

bsmith 06-26-2011 02:25 PM

I have had bilsteins for 4-5yrs. I think ill try KYB, 246 is a great price.

bwdt 06-26-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieselduck (Post 1476895)
The Kore Bilstein 5100 are said to have differant valving (Kore specific), acording to the Kore site. Rear shocks are Bilstein 6647. These are both used in their "Recon" and leveling kits.

Copied this from the Kore site.

KORE Race Shop - Dodge Shocks

Home > Dodge > Dodge Ram 2500/3500 > Dodge Shocks

Dodge Shocks

For the KORE HD Leveling Kit and Recon Series suspension systems KORE uses the legendary Bilstein 5100 Series shock absorber. This shock uses special valving that differs from the valving in all other KORE suspension systems. For most off road and many street applications linear valving works best. "Linear" means that the amount of force generated by the shock is relative to the speed of the shock shaft - the faster the shaft moves, the more resistance the shock generates. This is the best method to control repetitive bumps like washboard and hard hits called "gotchas."

Like the linear valving of KORE remote reservoir shocks, the digressive valving of the 5100 Series Bilstein shocks maximizes control and limits body roll. But when bumps are encountered and shaft speed increases the force that the shock generates actually decreases. This gives a very smooth, yet controlled ride over pavement. The valving in the production "6647" Bilstein shock used in the rear of the Recon Series and sold world wide was developed by KORE in 2003 and adopted by Bilstein in 2004.

In order to provide the softest ride possible while still retaining good towing and hauling characteristics, this shock employs a special one-way check valve on the compression side and maximum damping on the rebound side. When small bumps are encountered the shock literally provides little to no resistance on the upstroke, simply allowing the spring to do the work. Then when the spring rebounds to the neutral position, the shock maximizes control, so the rear can't "bounce back." It's the best solution for everyday pavement driving and slower speed off road use. Plus all Bilstein 5100 Series shocks are guaranteed for life.

Bilstein 6647 Rear Shocks, Pair

Price: $180.00

KORE developed the valving in these shock absorbers to maximize control and minimize harshness. It is the best shock absorber for the street an light trail use. The perfect OE replacement rear shock for 1994-2012 Dodge Ram 2500-3500 4x4 pickups.

For orders outside of Canada and the U.S., please contact KORE directly.
© 2009 KORE INC.

who guarantees these? Kore or Bilstein? Does this mean free replacement?

dieselduck 06-26-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwdt (Post 1490414)
who guarantees these? Kore or Bilstein? Does this mean free replacement?

Geno's also advertises lifetime warranty on the Bilstiens. Call them and find out. What I am wondering was what do you do for shocks while Bilstien takes 6-8 weeks to rebuild your old ones?

BTW, I found the answer to this same question on a Suncoast TC.
YOU WAIT AND WAIT UNTIL THEY GET AROUND TO REBUILDING IT!

My $.02

bwdt 06-27-2011 12:07 AM

If that's their warranty I wont be buying bilsteins again.

How come no one talks about the Kings or other rebuildable shocks.

cquestad 06-27-2011 01:57 AM

For off the shelf Bilsteen 5100's are untouchable...if somebody has had a different experience. It was a fluke...take them back...they will warranty them. I have put up to 75k on each set...5 total on 3 different trucks...plus most of my buddies that listen have them too...same experience.

However...if you wan t to enter a whole different league...King 2.5's from Thuren will blow your mind...even more if you swap springs. Its unreal how nice and controlled yet plush ride you can have. Even 60mph down stuff you would normally drive 15.

carcrafter22 06-27-2011 08:29 AM

I love the ride of my bilstein shocks.

Red Sleeper 06-27-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carcrafter22 (Post 1490951)
I love the ride of my bilstein shocks.

I did too, for the first year.

I think I will be trying KYB's on my 05.

kleann 06-28-2011 11:34 AM

Suspension Products for 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 QuadCab 2wd

Will I be okay with the under 8800 GVW shocks?

bmoeller 08-28-2011 08:37 PM

I loved the Bilsteins I had on my '97 dually. Getting Rancho 5000 series for the '92, but just because I couldn't beat the price. We'll see how I like them.

UNBROKEN 06-06-2012 10:00 PM

Open Sesame...

apocalypse1812 06-06-2012 10:02 PM

Thanks!

kleann 06-06-2012 11:09 PM

I put on the red kyb's. Nothing special from what I've seen.