Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   98-02 2nd Gen. (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Help (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202114)

blue2002 02-11-2019 12:22 AM

Help

Installed supposeably 150 HP injectors. My truck runs with a like miss. It changes time to time. But you can feel it even when you give it fuel. I've changed fuel filters.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

4x4dually 02-11-2019 07:42 AM

Did you buy used injectors from some schmuch on ebay or were they machined and tested from a reputable shop that stands behind their injectors?

blue2002 02-11-2019 06:32 PM

Yes had them pop tested. They were all calibrated and working.

I just know the truck starts up idling then after 5 min it starts like missing.

4x4dually 02-12-2019 08:32 AM

What is your procedure for seating the connector tubes? Do you think they could be causing the issue once they warm up and expand a little?

WUnderwood 02-12-2019 10:26 AM

Who installed the injectors? Did you re-use the connector tubes?

RacinDuallie 02-12-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WUnderwood (Post 2693829)
Who installed the injectors? Did you re-use the connector tubes?

This guy has been chasing his tail on numerous threads.

I'm wondering which Woodruff key he used when he swapped pumps.....

Asked to verify lift pressure, asked to verify wiring to his Airdog2 lift pump. Asked to disconnect tuner to see if anything changes.

Crickets.

WUnderwood 02-12-2019 11:43 AM

roger that!

blue2002 02-13-2019 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacinDuallie (Post 2693835)
This guy has been chasing his tail on numerous threads.

I'm wondering which Woodruff key he used when he swapped pumps.....

Asked to verify lift pressure, asked to verify wiring to his Airdog2 lift pump. Asked to disconnect tuner to see if anything changes.

Crickets.

I used the key that was on the pump that I pulled off the truck.

Been chasing my tail because no one can give me a answer just like you can't. Can you?

Crickets.

As the injector tubes are the same.

I removed my 150 HP and installed my 75 HP back in.

Removed all my performance chips and smarty.

Pushing 25 psi to the injection pump with a mechanical gauge.

RacinDuallie 02-13-2019 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue2002 (Post 2693896)
I used the key that was on the pump that I pulled off the truck.

Been chasing my tail because no one can give me a answer just like you can't. Can you?

Crickets.

As the injector tubes are the same.

I removed my 150 HP and installed my 75 HP back in.

Removed all my performance chips and smarty.

Pushing 25 psi to the injection pump with a mechanical gauge.

To be honest, I may have the answer, It may take a few shots but really you need to stick to one thread with this issue- I noticed you had several and very little info was shared.

The VP pump is a troublesome beyotch. Been there done that. Lol. In my 98.5 I used to have a BIG c.b. radio. When you key up, the linear amp would hit the system, and you could feel the engine pull a slight bit of power driving down the highway. :hehe:

You described in one thread that it sounds like it's missing? And the sound is like a 'ping' sound?

Are you verifing 25 psi while this is happening?

Which pump did truck come with and which pump you replace it with? New pump came calibrated and tested with what Woodruff key? I think it's 3 numbers stamped on it.
( been awhile )

You are certain no leaky injector lines? At pump and injectors?

* I'm almost wanting to hear this issue as it's happening. Can you take a vid and post it?

Snedge 02-13-2019 06:46 AM

Believe it or not Blue, the folks here really are helpful. The cure doesn't usually come with a teaspoon of sugar though.

Red Sleeper 02-13-2019 07:00 AM

A simple check on the rate of fuel returned from the injectors might tell you something you don’t know.

Connector tubes seem to be the largest reason for fuel issues after an injector swap. I’d start with a fresh set.

4x4dually 02-13-2019 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Sleeper (Post 2693906)
Connector tubes seem to be the largest reason for fuel issues after an injector swap. I’d start with a fresh set.

Exactly why I asked what procedure for installing them was used. You can't just snap them in and torque everything down and go. I fought that battle until I figured out what not to do.....but no answer. :D

crackerman 02-13-2019 08:15 AM

There is an established procedure for installing injector tubes and injectors. If it wasn't followed, I bet it's in the tubes.

Even scuffing the tips with scotchbrite can help them seat more easily.

So, I'll ask another question again. Who's injectors?

Turbobark 02-13-2019 10:50 AM

Are they DAP injectors?

You said you removed the 150's and put the 75's back in but didn't say if there was a difference in idle. Did that make the problem go away?

zachu812 02-13-2019 12:30 PM

So you changed pumps but re-used the key from the old pump? That could be part of the problem. VP's have a number stamped in them that shows the specific key required, if that number is different between pumps or even if it's the same number and you put the key in backwards that could throw things off.

RacinDuallie 02-13-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachu812 (Post 2693930)
So you changed pumps but re-used the key from the old pump? That could be part of the problem. VP's have a number stamped in them that shows the specific key required, if that number is different between pumps or even if it's the same number and you put the key in backwards that could throw things off.

I'm with you on this. Thing that throws me is it starts and idles fine until approximately 5 minutes in........

crackerman 02-13-2019 05:27 PM

If it's the woodruff key, how were guys running advance keys to gain more timing in the past?

4x4dually 02-15-2019 10:44 AM

I wonder if the OP has figured out the problem. No replies or comments in a while....or is it in another thread? Just curious what the fueling issue was.

Tdiesel23 02-19-2019 10:10 AM

My truck does the same thing idles fine at first then starts doing what’s like a miss but it’s only when in park once in gear sounds normal

4x4dually 02-19-2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tdiesel23 (Post 2694330)
My truck does the same thing idles fine at first then starts doing what’s like a miss but it’s only when in park once in gear sounds normal

That sounds more like the IP than the tubes. Misses under a load. I'm no diesel mechanic but that's my guess on that one. $.02