Metal shavings on fuel filter

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
The last 2 times I've changed my fuel filter on my 2012 C&C 3500 I've noticed what looks like little metal shavings floating on the top of the fuel filter when I pull the lid off. If I shine a flash light on it they are reflective. Smaller in size then a grain of salt or sand.

Should I be alarmed? I change filters every 15K miles 101K on the truck now

The last 2 times I've changed my fuel filter on my 2012 C&C 3500 I've noticed what looks like little metal shavings floating on the top of the fuel filter when I pull the lid off. If I shine a flash light on it they are reflective. Smaller in size then a grain of salt or sand.

Should I be alarmed? I change filters every 15K miles 101K on the truck now
Yes you should be. Chances are the hpfp is eating itself.

I guess I should go into detail. A check engine light has come on and off multiple times, I scanned it with a tuner and no codes came up.

Then another friend had a scanner and his came up with some kind of sensor failure?
Would a sensor cause a hpfp failure? I think it was a rail pressure sensor

I'm no CP3 expert, but I think it is very similar to the CP4 where it's a couple pistons riding on a cam. The hard chrome on the cam lobes gets eaten up and destroys everything down stream of it. This happens on 6.7 Fords pretty often. The downside of that design is it goes from the lubrication side (where the cam is), straight into the high pressure side, then rail, and onto the injectors. Toasts it all.

I think the CP3's do the same thing, but after the lubrication side they go through the fuel filter (which might be saving everything else for you), then the high pressure side, then rail, then injectors.

I'd break down that CP3 or swap it right away. Your injectors MIGHT still be okay.

Does the 2012 cab and chassis have a cp4? Or cp3.

Also I was price the pumps and a lot of them say " not for c&c trucks"

What would be different?

Cummins still has cp3, which we rarely replace due to failure and I mean very rarely. On the other hand, cp4 failures are a common occurrence. We've replaced more cp4's than cp3's and there are twice the cp3 trucks around here.

Thanks for the info. Now does anyone know why most cp3's online say not for cab and chassis trucks? Of coarse mine is a c&c.

Back