Dana 60 help

j_ray05

Hey all, I'm slowly making my '99 2500 into a puller. I just finished swapping in 4.88 gears and a spool. I went this route because I figured with the CAD, I would still be able to turn just fine.

Now, when I go to engage 4x4, the passenger front will not engage. I pulled the CAD off and the actuator is working correctly. It pulls the fork and collar all the way to the left. I found that when the collar is pulled over, that if it does not engage with the inner axle shaft right away, it actually pushes the shaft in towards the carrier. The inner shaft moves away from the passenger shaft about 1/4-3/8" until the splines bottom out in the carrier and then the collar has no splines to engage in. I was wondering if anyone has had this happen before and/or know what I could do to resolve this.

I would just get rid of the CAD and put in a long passenger side shaft, but I'm concerned about being able to turn the truck. Also other route is to go with a locker and long shaft, but since I already bought this stuff, would like to see if possible to make it work. Thanks in advance for any advice.

You have to go with a posi lock cable kit, or something you make with a heavy duty pto cable, with a spool and what your wanting to do with it. That way you can roll the truck and pull it to engage. Also you'll know it's engaged the collar fully.

Believe you stated ur problem. With the spool u have no cross pin for the shaft to stop on. It dont take 3/16" of a gap between the two shafts that the collar wont enguage. The cable deal will not pull the actuator any further than the oem vacuum.

Believe you stated ur problem. With the spool u have no cross pin for the shaft to stop on. It dont take 3/16" of a gap between the two shafts that the collar wont enguage. The cable deal will not pull the actuator any further than the oem vacuum.

Didn't realize that, so is it mandatory to run a one peice axle then with a spool?

?. I beleive in ur case yes. But most Generally people are upgrading to 35 spline inners and then drop a grizzly locker in there.

He already knows his problem or he wouldnt of been on here asking about it. But like i told him the other day if take shaft out drill and tape the end with a bolt should keep it from moving at all for him. Someone has to had that problem before on here.

A 30 spline (factory axles ) spool is less common see if they sent the correct spool .. i bet it's a 35 spline spool .. it won't turn with a spool and soild axles

It's a 30 spline spool, everything fits together just fine and drives the left tire. Just can't get the right side to engage

I would avoid a spool in the front without some sort of disengagement, unless you are going to a hydraulic system. I have seen the steering box/link fail on a truck that was running a spool, plus he looked like an idiot because he couldn't turn for crap and would take 5 minutes to get hooked to the sled.

Spool let's axle go in further in due to no spider gear pin .. pulls away from slide collar .. normally 30 spline breaks so not many use the factory setup unless your 500hp or less

Thanks for all your input guys! I ended up just purchasing a locker and extended axle shaft for the passenger side. Just finished install and everything is working as it should be.

Back