Pro's con's of 03/04 common rail engine's?

" THE DEMIZE"

"Talkin Big Boy Ice"
Im in the market for a engine whats the difference in the 03 and 04 engine's rather then the 05's sorry not a cummins guy:poke:

To start with:

slightly different piston design (re-entrant design vs. non re-entrant for the 04.5+) - I think I stated that right...

2 injection events vs 3 for the 04.5+ engines.

so .....is there power hidden in the 03-04 engines ? can i change /convert it over to what a 05 spray events?

x2...

Decent power can be made with either one. I'd stick with the 03-04 engine given the # of later ones burnt up recently...

I don't think the 3rd injection event makes any additional power, it was for emissions. There are actually a few guys that are swapping to an 03-04 ECM just so they can loose the 3rd event...

Are you asking about the 04.5 motor or the 04 motor cause there is a difference there. the 03-04 are the same unless you get the 04.5 then you have the 325 hp motor instead of the 305 motor

Pistons are different, injectors are different, 03/04 turbo is smaller, ECM is different. 03/04 heads have push-in valve seats and I believe its 04.5+ have machined valveseats. 03/04 have had dropped valve seats if they get hot. I think its pretty common for those guys to swap to a later head...

Mild mods, say intake/exhaust/programmer, an 04.5-07 will pretty much always make more power and be quicker, on account of the turbo and 3rd injection. Now, get into heavy mods (turbo(s), injectors, modded pump/dual pumps, etc.) the 03/04 trucks seem to be a better platform for making big power. To date, I dont believe there has been a later truck over 1000 on fuel, maybe even 900, however I can think of a couple 03/04 trucks off the top of my head that are over 1000 on fuel, due to differences in the ECM I believe

Next motor I blow I nam going with the 03-04 seems like npeople have less problems with them... Alot less blown motors as well.

Back