Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dodge Competition and Performance (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   97 keeps blowing freeze plugs out (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18127)

bonesmx2000 11-17-2007 07:14 PM

97 keeps blowing freeze plugs out

my truck cant seem to keep freezeplugs in the block so far ive managed to blow all of the freeze plugs out of the exhaust side of the block..... does any one have ideas i have been putting block heaters in them that were laying around... i dont want to give haisleys 50 dollars for an aluminum one they sell... but im all of block heaters. i thought the one by the trans was supposed to be the one that blows out all the time havent had a prob with it yet.
the one that blew out tonight i was driving home at about 40 mph and somewhere on my 3 mile drive it blew out any ideas ?????????

CumminNotRunnin 11-17-2007 07:49 PM

I believe it has to do with your water pump. I have heard with high HP engines they will create to much power and the water pump will create more pressure and they will blow ur freeze plugs out because its the weakest spot obviously. They make pumps that have the fins cut down some to create less pressure. I just saw a new one recently out for i believe like sixty dollars here on the threads. No expert but thats my guess

Ph4tty 11-17-2007 08:40 PM

I'd think it'd be worth a $50 part not to mess with it =\
Here's an alternative: http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...ad.php?t=17052

zstroken 11-17-2007 08:46 PM

How long has this been going on? Have you changed anything on the truck? High RPM will create too much pressure from the waterpump and will blow freeze plugs. Unless your blowing well past 4000 RPM pressure shouldn't be blowing them out unless you have a restriction in the cooling system. I lost plugs in the head of my 12V but that was because I was boiling over the coolant in the head.

97' CTD 11-17-2007 08:48 PM

I have heard good things about the coolant kit I just put mine on the back of the block! I just removed my exhaust, manifold, and charger and used a long piece of steel rod to punch the freeze plug out from the ground. But driving normally shouldnt blow freeze plugs, it is just at higher RPM's when our water pump overcirculates and creates too much pressure in our cooling system which blows out freeze plugs.
Brandon

97' CTD 11-17-2007 08:50 PM

Beat me too it Z.
Brandon

bonesmx2000 11-17-2007 08:58 PM

ive had 1 come out of the block going down the track pulling.. put one in and started it and it blew out b4 i could get out of parking lot........ i JB welded it in to get me by for the night\weekend so i could pull.... it blew out too so i finally got tired of putting jb weld on them to stay, and found a block heater we had on an ag motor so i stole it off the ag motor.... fixed that one from blowing now my others are coming out the coolant relocation kit i have one sitting just havent put it in yet, but whats that going to help with pressure....
as far as i know the motor doesnt have any restrictions in the cooling system it has only about 6k miles on it since the total rebuild.
most of the miles are from being on a trailer since it keeps popping freeze plugs i used to have a glove box full of them but my supply has ran out...
i am in the process of getting a aluminum plug made that copies the block heater minus the heating element, but who knows how long till he has time to make them

bonesmx2000 11-17-2007 09:00 PM

forgot to add its been going on since july but my truck has been down for 10 weeks and ive drove it 2 times this week
and i usually let it turn about 4200 to 4300 down the track i dont have titanium in my head yet and i try to watch the keepers as often as i can check them

zstroken 11-17-2007 09:10 PM

If it is blowing out driving around in the parking lot something is defiantly wrong.
You might try to get a pressure gage in there somewhere and see if it is over pressurized. Also let the truck warm up and feel the hoses of a known good truck and then feel your hoses, do the same hoses of each truck feel the same. What temperature are you running at?

bonesmx2000 11-17-2007 09:31 PM

well im having problems blowing them out with my tstat in or out t stat out truck runs like 140 150 max t stat in it will bury temp guage going down the track

oil-burner 11-17-2007 09:40 PM

could get one of these. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...ad.php?t=16743
look at post 10

scot

bonesmx2000 11-17-2007 09:58 PM

oooooooo ahhhhhhh oooooo ahhhhhh i likey i likey but what the price??????
i was also afraid of clipping my impeller for the fact that i do daily drive this truck... so if i was to put in billet freeze plugs what might happen if i dont blow a freeze plug will i just send it out the cap i can deal with that cuz freeze plug goes there goes 3 gallons of coolant

zstroken 11-17-2007 10:39 PM

You will start blowing other freeze plugs if you just keep blocking them all. I don't think trimming the pump will hurt you much. I mean without the tstat the motor won't really even heat up without a load. I trimmed mine, truck will get pretty hot during the pull, but will cool back down to 150 or so in less than 5 minutes. I have 3 3/16" holes I drilled in the tstat.

12v Ford 11-18-2007 11:44 AM

I don't know too much about this, but on the ford boss blocks, the freeze plugs are threaded pieces. Couldn't you just tap the freeze plug holes and put in a threaded plug??? Would it work???

bonesmx2000 11-18-2007 01:06 PM

so i guess im going to look at trimming my impeller or an electric water pump
or i could go with a marine motor and drive my truck in the lakes

smoken02 11-18-2007 01:15 PM

Would doing a coolant flow mod like Garret is talking about in the dodge articles help?

bonesmx2000 11-18-2007 01:21 PM

i have the piece to put on the back of the block if that is what you are talking about just havent put it in. im waiting till i buy a dual disk and have the trans out to put the cover on back there, but what i dont know is how it would help me keep from blowing them out i know coolant dead ends back there but isnt 15 psi 15 psi no matter where it is at in the block?????

IC-Smoke 11-18-2007 05:20 PM

Napa P/N: 600-4012
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/100_2711.jpg

We replaced one of Chris Polings plugs with one of these. I think it was around $4.00 Its holding well to his abuse

Ian

bonesmx2000 11-21-2007 12:13 AM

dang it dang it all to heck im really starting to hate this truck!!!!!!
ok so i bought the cheap expansion plug ian posted above and put it in and started the truck up imediately it starts blowing coolant out of the filler neck im going wtf. so i put the cap on hoping the t stat will open when it gets hot, i keep feeling the upper hose and its hard as a rock and hasnt been running 3 mins and the truck has no heat yet.
so i crack the cap and it sprays everywhere, so i say f*** it and i go for a drive and i dont even make it past taco bell which is 30 seconds away from my house if you are walking.
so i bust a u turn in the middle of the street run a redlight and get home to find the expansion plug blew out.
so is the excess press a blown head gasket???????
i am going to try one more time to get the expansion plug to stay put and if it doesnt im thinking about pulling the head, i just dont want to buy another fireringed gasket and rings.
what to do what to do

zstroken 11-21-2007 05:49 AM

I would lean towards a headgasket at this point.