Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   94-98 2nd Gen. 12V (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Dropped a keeper, need some help (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198122)

Downtownbrown 10-22-2017 10:33 PM

Dropped a keeper, need some help

Putting springs in my 94, well didnt even make it through the #1 cylinder and while putting the keepers back in i slipped and threw it right into the #2 exhaust pushrod hole :bang i covered the holes on the one i was working on but lesson learned

Ive been fishing around with a magnet for it for a while and no luck, i will be running to town tomorrow to buy a borescope to hopefully find it. Are the oil journals large enough that it wouldnt get caught in there? I already drained the oil and it didnt come out with it sadly. Any advice is appreciated

nasty 2005 10-22-2017 11:23 PM

The oil pan has a boss in it for the plug so it more than likely won't come out with the oil.

fatty 10-22-2017 11:52 PM

You could probably get to it by taking the tappet cover off.

DISTURBED 10-23-2017 06:42 AM

Go to your local parts store and see if they have a bore scope you can rent/borrow to look down the tappet hole. If it made it to the pan a bending magnet is what I would try. Unless it is on the shallow end of the pan. May need a rubber mallet to tap the pan to get it to fall in the deep end so you can get it with the magnet

Downtownbrown 10-23-2017 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DISTURBED (Post 2640669)
Go to your local parts store and see if they have a bore scope you can rent/borrow to look down the tappet hole. If it made it to the pan a bending magnet is what I would try. Unless it is on the shallow end of the pan. May need a rubber mallet to tap the pan to get it to fall in the deep end so you can get it with the magnet

Headed to get a bore scope this morning, ill try hittin the pan see if maybe i can hear it move

turbo2387 10-23-2017 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatty (Post 2640655)
You could probably get to it by taking the tappet cover off.

I also bet its in the rocker box. it would be a lucky fall to get past this area.

BigPapa 10-23-2017 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Downtownbrown (Post 2640676)
ill try hittin the pan see if maybe i can hear it move

I don't imagine you'll hear it unless your pan was totally dry.

Downtownbrown 10-23-2017 11:13 AM

Just found it using the borescope, it was in the very front of the oil pan, took a lot of fishing but was able to get it out. Definentley learned a lesson on this one. Thanks for the advice

Big Blue24 10-23-2017 11:23 AM

On my personal truck, I've lost a lift pump pushrod before and simply ran the truck. A few years later when I rebuild the engine, I found a total of (3) lift pump pushrods in the oil pan, zero ill effects from them bouncing around on the bottom of pan covered in oil.

I'll bet a keeper/lock would have been fine to leave in there other than your mental sanity knowing a piece of hard steel is bouncing around in the bottom end!!!