Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drag Racing (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Plexiglass (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197592)

Justappumped24v 08-30-2017 04:44 PM

Plexiglass

Any good companies to order plexiglass through in the Midwest? Preferably tinted

Cummins12Club 08-31-2017 05:27 AM

Optic Armor for top quality lexan. You can get it tinted in two different shades

Justappumped24v 08-31-2017 06:18 AM

Thank you sir

zfaylor 08-31-2017 06:45 AM

Make sure to get margard lexan and not just plexi if possible. Not all glass can legally be replaced with lexan though. I am sure you already know but it is worth mentioning every time these threads pop up.

Justappumped24v 08-31-2017 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zfaylor (Post 2633757)
Make sure to get margard lexan and not just plexi if possible. Not all glass can legally be replaced with lexan though. I am sure you already know but it is worth mentioning every time these threads pop up.

I'm wanting to do the back window, the two ext cab windows and the front door windows not the front windshield

jasonc 08-31-2017 11:03 AM

I did the back and side glass on my old 2wd truck, all bolted in. Bought a sheet of tinted lexan about 3/16 thick if I remember. Turned out good but then I started thinking in a wreck and trapped in the truck that lexan is tough, dam near unbreakable. I took a peice of the left over sheet and tried to break it, ain't gonna happen.

Cummins12Club 08-31-2017 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonc (Post 2633811)
I did the back and side glass on my old 2wd truck, all bolted in. Bought a sheet of tinted lexan about 3/16 thick if I remember. Turned out good but then I started thinking in a wreck and trapped in the truck that lexan is tough, dam near unbreakable. I took a peice of the left over sheet and tried to break it, ain't gonna happen.

Some guys run plexiglass on the driver side window for that reason. Although i think your natural reaction when your upside down and on fire wont be to break the window but try to open the door. Either way if your at a safe track the rescue team should be to you by the time you get your belts off anyways

Sanger 08-31-2017 12:02 PM

I used Lexan on my back window you can buy it tinted. Paragon Plastics in Santa Ana CA is who I used. I just made a cardboard template and had them cut it out, took them about 5 days. You probably have someone local to you who can make them for you.

Chris Tobin 08-31-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cummins12Club (Post 2633817)
Some guys run plexiglass on the driver side window for that reason. Although i think your natural reaction when your upside down and on fire wont be to break the window but try to open the door. Either way if your at a safe track the rescue team should be to you by the time you get your belts off anyways

It would suck to build a truck that REQUIRES an extraction team to get you out if there is a wreck... What if the equipment fails or for some reason the team can't get to you??? I'd rather build a truck that I can get out of on my own than count on the rescue team to get me out...

jasonc 08-31-2017 02:01 PM

These heavy trucks flip over, there's a good chance the doors might not open.

Cummins12Club 08-31-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Tobin (Post 2633846)
It would suck to build a truck that REQUIRES an extraction team to get you out if there is a wreck... What if the equipment fails or for some reason the team can't get to you??? I'd rather build a truck that I can get out of on my own than count on the rescue team to get me out...

I can agree with you although i have seen nobodies builds take the driver side window into consideration on escaping during an accident. Not saying its right or wrong but ive not seen it implemented into a build.

J-Pipes 08-31-2017 02:52 PM

If it's race only, why not a net, like a stock car?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

white 06 11-11-2017 03:38 PM

I have heard there is a heating process when installing lexan windshield I would ask the right questions before I took on the job