Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drag Racing (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Needing CDL for racing - YOU can help! (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198256)

allan5oh 11-02-2017 02:33 PM

Needing CDL for racing - YOU can help!

The FMCSA/Dot/State patrol etc. have nailed guys for hauling race vehicles across state lines if it is proven that they have sponsorship or there's a purse. This is a ridiculous process to go through just for someone having a bit of fun, little more than a hobby. Most guys nailed for this aren't professional race teams.

But there's good news! The DOT is going under a regulatory review. With your input maybe we can get this changed for anyone less than a professional level. Here's the link:

Regulations.gov

allan5oh 11-02-2017 03:22 PM

Misspoke in the title a bit, not necessarily needing a CDL but DOT/Logbook. Falling under the interstate commerce rules. I don't think hobby drag racers should.

40ray 11-05-2017 09:12 AM

It's not a commercial vehicle it doesn't need a commercial drivers license in my opinion.

TheBac 11-05-2017 09:15 AM

IIRC, the reasoning behind it was that a racer could win money, so they are towing their vehicle for "business". It doesnt make it right. Just a money grab from the feds.

Im not sure if a "not for hire" placard on the truck or trailer would suffice to make it a personal vehicle again, either.

zfaylor 11-05-2017 11:10 AM

I am going to get flamed hard for this but: if the vehicle requires a CDL in any other circumstance then it should require a CDL to drive at all. Allow it to be titled and taxed as an RV or whatever floats your boat but I am sick of seeing people who have zero business behind the wheel of a semi out driving on the roads while people who make their living with one are under scrutiny non stop for 1 chicken light being out. I love farming, I have an ag degree, but I cannot tell you how many fukkin trucks have pulled out in front of me this year hauling grain. Yes, anybody can pay enough and get handed a CDL but jeebus. RVs, toy haulers, and farming need to start requiring CDLs and regular inspections. I know a lot of guys are going to take all of that the wrong way.

If joe the trucker needs to pass a test and maintain his truck then I sure as hell want the guy who drives his toter or whatever 3 times a year to be up to speed on this crap.

jasonc 11-05-2017 12:06 PM

I've put alot of miles in a "not for hire" semi blowing by the weigh stations and driving 15hrs non stop other than to piss. It was in my younger years and couldn't do it anymore, I don't see how guys can drive for a living and not go crazy, it kills me.

DISTURBED 11-05-2017 12:52 PM

What they need to do is stop letting the states decide and make it uniform coast to coast and the bs statement that's been told to me is " you need to know the law for the state your traveling in" can get shoved up the cocky little pricks ass that got picked on in high school. If you are legal in your state you should be legal in ever state.

We just went through this with my mom and her dually and enclosed trailer. The toy hauler is no different than a horse trailer hauling to shows but if you have advertising on it they are going to look at you. Plain trailer and they normally won't bother you. As for the you win money and you are a business the same can be said for all the other types of things that people win money at like drag races, horse shows, cattle shows, ect. Va says you don't win enough money at the event to be deemed a business. So you shouldn't need a CDL

allan5oh 11-05-2017 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DISTURBED (Post 2642976)
What they need to do is stop letting the states decide and make it uniform coast to coast and the bs statement that's been told to me is " you need to know the law for the state your traveling in" can get shoved up the cocky little pricks ass that got picked on in high school. If you are legal in your state you should be legal in ever state.

We just went through this with my mom and her dually and enclosed trailer. The toy hauler is no different than a horse trailer hauling to shows but if you have advertising on it they are going to look at you. Plain trailer and they normally won't bother you. As for the you win money and you are a business the same can be said for all the other types of things that people win money at like drag races, horse shows, cattle shows, ect. Va says you don't win enough money at the event to be deemed a business. So you shouldn't need a CDL

It's not the state laws it's the federal. As soon as you cross state lines it is considered interstate commerce if there is a purse. This prevents hobby racers from going, or if they do they have to be sneaky about it and lie to law enforcement.

A hobby racer being subject to the federal motor carrier safety regulations (FMCSRs) is ridiculous. Doesn't matter how light the combo is.

allan5oh 11-05-2017 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zfaylor (Post 2642954)
I am going to get flamed hard for this but: if the vehicle requires a CDL in any other circumstance then it should require a CDL to drive at all. Allow it to be titled and taxed as an RV or whatever floats your boat but I am sick of seeing people who have zero business behind the wheel of a semi out driving on the roads while people who make their living with one are under scrutiny non stop for 1 chicken light being out. I love farming, I have an ag degree, but I cannot tell you how many fukkin trucks have pulled out in front of me this year hauling grain. Yes, anybody can pay enough and get handed a CDL but jeebus. RVs, toy haulers, and farming need to start requiring CDLs and regular inspections. I know a lot of guys are going to take all of that the wrong way.

If joe the trucker needs to pass a test and maintain his truck then I sure as hell want the guy who drives his toter or whatever 3 times a year to be up to speed on this crap.

I agree with you but what I'm getting at is a different class of folks. Regular Joe in his f150 pulling a mustang on a 2 axle trailer across state lines is "interstate commerce" if there's a purse. I don't think they should have to comply to these rules. Guys with huge motorhome or converted semis yes but that's a different argument than the one im making.

zfaylor 11-05-2017 02:32 PM

The problem is where do they draw the line? At a $500 purse, $5000 purse or at a $500,000 purse? You gotta remember the laws have to be pretty cut and dry these days.

DISTURBED 11-05-2017 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh (Post 2642988)
I agree with you but what I'm getting at is a different class of folks. Regular Joe in his f150 pulling a mustang on a 2 axle trailer across state lines is "interstate commerce" if there's a purse. I don't think they should have to comply to these rules. Guys with huge motorhome or converted semis yes but that's a different argument than the one im making.

None of them should have to comply. Just because one is poor and the other has money to buy the RV doesn't mean they should be held to different standard. If it's hobby/racing it Should not be interstate commerce

zfaylor 11-05-2017 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DISTURBED (Post 2642994)
None of them should have to comply. Just because one is poor and the other has money to buy the RV doesn't mean they should be held to different standard. If it's hobby/racing it Should not be interstate commerce

if said racing is all funded by a business that writes it off as advertising and promotion where does this end up?

allan5oh 11-05-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DISTURBED (Post 2642994)

If you think that way make your comment in the link I posted.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

DISTURBED 11-05-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zfaylor (Post 2642996)
if said racing is all funded by a business that writes it off as advertising and promotion where does this end up?

If it's a business and run as a business it should be but if it's an individual that doesn't report earning or deduction on taxes it should not. I should have been more clear in my last post

J-Pipes 11-05-2017 02:45 PM

Cleaning up the verbiage in the rule book would be nice. I'd like to get one to be covered just in case, and possibly help with future employment opportunities. But every other paragraph seems to contradict a prior one, confusing as hell! The way I understand it, I'm exempt for the "farm use" thing as I usually only haul tractors, within a 20-30 mile radius even, but on the odd circumstance I have to go a bit further to help a broke down friend, gets a little grayer. I'm not running a semi or rv, just a 2nd gen with a dual tandem gooseneck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

zfaylor 11-05-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DISTURBED (Post 2643000)
If it's a business and run as a business it should be but if it's an individual that doesn't report earning or deduction on taxes it should not. I should have been more clear in my last post

If said person owns the business? I know that everything my business does impacts my personal taxes as well. If I were to make $20k a year disappear from the business to advertising and promotion it impacts my personal taxes as well in the end.

I am not trying to be difficult here. I just know it upsets me when I see somebody take advantage of the tax system and government for say food stamps if they do not need them so it is difficult for me to turn a blind eye when it is in a different way.

zstroken 11-05-2017 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DISTURBED (Post 2643000)

Yea but I would venture to say most of the folks that have the rigs, that would require a CDL, are writing off ventures...