Fuel gauge issue

06Bigblue

I have a 06 with a fass 260 on it and all of a sudden my fuel gauge reads doesn't read and the fuel light is on. I checked fuses, anyone have any ideas before I drop the tank and replace the sending unit

time to drop the tank or pull the bed. sending unit or wiring.

and just so you know 06's are known for bad clusters but you would have other symptoms i.e. the christmas tree effect

Do a gauge sweep test, that rules out the gauges. Press and hold trip distance button, turn the key on, wait until the gauges all ratchet sweep. Report back here.

The gauge sweep test worked great I'm going to check for power at the sending unit if there's power there I'll order a new sending unit

No power at the plug for the sending unit or the plug underneath the driver's door. Anyone have any experience with this headache

What about the plug on the firewall? Sits just to the passenger side of the master cylinder. Check the wiring where. The ecm has to see the connection unplugged to send the full voltage.

Then the next place to look is at the ECM. It controls the gauge via the BUSS line, reads the level via the B/W wire.

Isn't it resistance? I don't know Dodge stuff very well but every level sensor I've ever seen was a resistance.

WHAT!? Voltage resistance, WTF is that!? Check resistance at the fuel tank, I'm guessing it'll show OL. Ground the wire make sure the cluster moves. Order a new level sensor, rock the bed/drop the tank replace level sensor. Side thought, any wrecks/heavy off reading lately? I've seen in tank modals break and cause this.

^
Yes it is resistance based. The ECM interprets the voltage resistance and then controls the gauge.

Thanks for the ideas guys, I know it reads resistance, no wrecks but while sled pulling it has had a bad habit of hopping like crazy. Maybe that broke it.

Back