Oil drain question

blackcloudCTD95

A while ago when I had a ps62 on the truck the instructions said to cut the drain tube. Iirc i had to cut it because of the Watergate.

The hose I have now is oil rated but it's soft and since I'm doing twins this weekend I want to get the right hose. But it seems like all oil rated hoses are thick, and hard to work with would high temp silicone hose work? And what size 3/4 or 7/8ths in the pic attached is the hose I have on it now I made it work.

While I'm on this subject can I replace the exhaust bolts with studs? They are m10x1.5 right? How long 1-1/2 ?

Attachments

• 20170512_185516.jpg
    20170512_185516.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 0
I have high temp silicone on mine, sent to me from Carl Douglass (crazy carl turbos) and I have had zero issues with it. 7/8ths is the size, here's a link 7/8" turbo oil drain hose

He also has a stainless steel drain line, but it's pricey. I had to use it for my secondary turbo, not a fan of it, looks crummy and is hard to work with.

I have manifold studs on my truck with a stainless diesel manifold (thicker flanges) and they still work very well. I opted for a stainless stud kit off of eBay instead of steel, because in my experience, mild steel + exhaust components = a pain in the butt to remove if you need to. I just couldn't use the supplied lock washers to the thickness of the stainless diesel mani, but the nuts are wizlock (has teeth on the portion that contacts the manifold to help prevent backing off) and after 6 months, still tight and secure.

Plus, studs make installing new gaskets and the manifold a 5 minute job. Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Silicone hose works good for turbo drains - I hate that stiff stuff. I can't give a concrete answer on size though, but Financial Mistake sounds right to me.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

i would just take the hose and drain fittings and bolts into the hardware or Napa with the lengths you need and get any high temp silicone or oil rated hose. I myself am using 10an fittings and braided stainless. i went to Fastenal for all my stainless hardware.

I have 10an on my secondary and 12an on the primary. Secondary has a straighter shot, only reason I went with it. I just used parker pushlok on both.

What's the normal for two turbo drains on a truck with only one port? Weld a bung into the pan? Or is the other ports along the bottom of the block drill able and can be threaded?

Most guys just use a big punch and then thread and jb weld the fitting onto the pan.

If I didn't have a 24v and needed to tap into the oil pan, I'd just pull the pan, drill a hole and tig the fitting on, because let's be real, the oil pan gasket probably needs replacing anyways.

Industrial injection sells a T fitting to tie both oil returns into the single oil feed port, so that's something to consider as well.

554d28fb65ca321e6fe5c07ccc30042d.jpg

You can see it in the middle next to the turbo

I have a storm block I have a freeze plug. So I can use Parker push lock, steel braided, silicone, it just has to be 7/8ths ? Will the blue Parker push lock work? I have that at the shop.

How long should the exhaust studs be ?

I have a storm block I have a freeze plug. So I can use Parker push lock, steel braided, silicone, it just has to be 7/8ths ? Will the blue Parker push lock work? I have that at the shop.

How long should the exhaust studs be ?

Just pop out the plug and put an oil return fitting in its place.
Block Oil Drain Fitting

And 7/8s silicone line for the return line
7/8" turbo oil drain hose

I would stay away from anything not oil rated. Fuel and oil will degrade some silicone hoses. We've had to replace entire engine hose groups due to fuel contamination

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Heater hose is not an adequate substitute for oil rated hose...

It is the EXACT same thing. Oil and antifreeze rated. It is just listed in that section of their website. But suit yourselves, mine is fine after three years of service.

We use blue silicone with the red inside a lot for coolant lines at work. 3/8" to 1". I believe it's made by DAYCO. Ours is not rated for oil at all. We've needed it for tranny fluid and oil applications before and when we called the manufacturer they said definitely not. May not be the same hose you're using, though.

Yeah, not the Dayco blue with the red inner liner. I emailed them when I initially needed the drain hose and asked about oil resistance. They said that oil use was not an issue. Plus, the listed temp range on both sites are identical.

Back