Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dodge Competition and Performance (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   P-pumped 24valve? (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9256)

Randall12v 04-16-2007 04:30 PM

P-pumped 24valve?

as the title says, what does it take?

any kits to convert this? cost??

what else would be run with this set up?
12 valve dv's and injectors? or stick with 24 valve injectors and/or chip?

what hp level could you put out?

just interested in the idea, wanted to know how it would work best! Thanks!

Timbeaux 04-16-2007 04:44 PM

You still run 24v injectors cuz you keep the head. the P-Pump by nature runs without a chip, so you can use the Comp box as a paper weight. You can buy a kit for the swap sans P-Pump for about $700 IIRC. They are a ***** to tune FWIW

diesel junkie02 04-16-2007 06:04 PM

Iv been lookin into this for awhile and as far as i know you need:
timing cover, gear, pump, custom lines. Im not real sure what happens to the computer part of it but you have to wire the the fuel shut off into your key so you can shut her down, and as far as tuning its just what timing you want,plate,plate position,gsk,etc.

p.s. could be wrong so correct me if i am

Billysgoat 04-16-2007 09:24 PM

About 3k for the conversion, and for some reason the 24V is just not as easy to tune with a P Pump, haven't heard a good explanation yet.

diesel junkie02 04-17-2007 02:17 PM

Iv heard they like a lot of timing.does anybody know what happens to the computer part of it? just plugs hanging,module to not let code come up?

Snedge 04-17-2007 02:27 PM

Ecm goes bye bye. You don't need it anymore. Check engine light is moot. Have to run manual guages. Also throttle linkage is going to be needed.
You should buy a kit.

Jetpilot 04-18-2007 06:47 AM

We left the ecm on, everything worked including cruise...... You will have a CEL illuminated all the time as the VP is no longer plugged into the wiring harness.

Doug

CC12V 04-18-2007 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snedge
Ecm goes bye bye. You don't need it anymore. Check engine light is moot. Have to run manual guages. Also throttle linkage is going to be needed.
You should buy a kit.

Thats why your gauges didn't work.That year model PCM needs an ECM to tell it there is a motor in the truck.

diesel junkie02 04-18-2007 02:07 PM

so add mechanical guages and somehow rig the cruise control to the list of "must do"?

AsTroSS 04-18-2007 02:18 PM

You need 98 12V ECM and wiring :poke:

Randall12v 04-18-2007 02:28 PM

so what you guys are saying, does it seems better to use a 98 24 valve? but it would be possible to use any 24 valve, so long as you eliminate the ecm, or use an ecm from a 98? you can use the ecm off the 98 and the gauges will work? which gauges are we talking about?

is this the full stock gauge cluster? what mechanical gauges would be needed? fuel pressure, oil pressure, water temp.?

what all does it take to tune one properly, still adjust fuel plate, and afc? can you then run gsk kit, such as 4K? just using 24 valve exhaust springs, correct??

diesel junkie02 04-18-2007 02:28 PM

conversion kit list:
timing cover
gear
pump
custom lines
98 12v wiring harness

Am i missing any parts?:what:

Randall12v 04-18-2007 02:36 PM

junkie you said something about timing? do you know what timing they use?

diesel junkie02 04-18-2007 02:40 PM

not sure thats what a few people said. it all depends on how much fuel the pump is pushing and what your trying to do with it, etc. when i get a number ill post it

Snedge 04-18-2007 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC12V
Thats why your gauges didn't work.That year model PCM needs an ECM to tell it there is a motor in the truck.

Our guages worked with 12v truck pcm/harness. I said the fault light is "moot" meaning useless.

I myself like sticking with the VP44. Unless your going race truck.

Dieseljunkie.
Add timing tool to your list unless you know someone or plan on letting someone else do the job.

Dazed&Confused 04-18-2007 04:37 PM

Just leave the ECM and take a piece of black tape over the CEL light.

Andy

diesel junkie02 04-18-2007 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snedge
Our guages worked with 12v truck pcm/harness. I said the fault light is "moot" meaning useless.

I myself like sticking with the VP44. Unless your going race truck.

Dieseljunkie.
Add timing tool to your list unless you know someone or plan on letting someone else do the job.

Me and oldsmokey97 are gonna time it, we timed his a few times. what do you think the timing should be set at? as soon as i get it on and running im putting DV,spring kit,and modifying plate,AFC, nitrous, etc.

Dazed&Confused 04-18-2007 09:01 PM

Say good bye to the headgasket. For really tuning it you need to get on a dyno while you are trying to set timing.

RascalMafia 04-19-2007 07:06 AM

you will need an intake spacer and get your injector pop offs redone. there is ALOT of tuning that goes into this project and being "streetable" most likely isnt on your list of things to be doing. FYI Columbus diesel now makes a 24v head that accepts JD injectors, if you are looking to get crazy.

ECM gets removed from block bc it hits the pump, sensors stay plugged in to give you gauge readings. schied sells a kit

diesel junkie02 04-19-2007 10:15 AM

pic of a p-pimped 24 valve

If it dosent work just hit refresh