Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   94-98 2nd Gen. 12V (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Fuel pump (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194264)

blackcloudCTD95 01-03-2017 07:41 PM

Fuel pump

At what point do I need to ditch the mechanical fuel pump.? I was thinking about bumping up to a tx16 but my brother tells me I need efuel. Is that true? I was thinking about going from my 64.5 5x14 to a 5x16 and a 66sxe what pump would be best. I'd prefer not a fass or airdog

Howling 01-03-2017 08:07 PM

Do you have a regulated fuel system now?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

blackcloudCTD95 01-03-2017 08:37 PM

It's the factory fuel system just with a tq tek return spring. I have 5x14 475cc pump and 191 dv's

Redrider2911 01-03-2017 10:39 PM

Modified Mechanical fuel pump will support the average to slightly above average power mods. D89 figured out the limit at some point. d89's Super Fantastic Fuel System Escapade - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

badbowtie 01-04-2017 06:39 AM

I would stay mechanical until I had no choice. That being said if I was going electric it would be a regulated return using aeromotive pump and regulator.

96 3500 5x018 7mm dvs 62fmw

BCH 01-04-2017 08:23 AM

I recently purchased an Aeromotive A1000 off a member on here with intentions of doing a return type system. I'm having trouble deciding which regulator to go with. I've looked at Fuel Lab and Aeromotive regulators but would really appreciate hearing what people running this pump are actually using for their regulator. I'm installing it on a p-pump engine by the way.

cumminsman315 01-04-2017 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCH (Post 2593670)
I recently purchased an Aeromotive A1000 off a member on here with intentions of doing a return type system. I'm having trouble deciding which regulator to go with. I've looked at Fuel Lab and Aeromotive regulators but would really appreciate hearing what people running this pump are actually using for their regulator. I'm installing it on a p-pump engine by the way.

I'm running a fuelab pump similar to an a1000 and a fuelab regulator on the return side on the injection pump. Regulator is a single line in and single line out -6 for both if I remember correctly. And I ran the regulator return all the way to the tank separate from the factory style return. This is on a p-pump 24v. If I were to do it again or get around to changing it I would put the regulator on the feed side of the injection pump

BCH 01-04-2017 11:24 AM

I'd like to run the regulator on the feed side before the pump also. I'll probably just run the fuel lab regulator. My only real hangup is that it shows 2 -8 inlets and I'm running -10 so I'll have to run some type of y fitting so I can get as much fuel to the regulator as possible and it's only -6 return. I'd like to have all the fuel moving as freely as possible from the regulator back to the tank, which will be a dedicated line back to the top of the tank but I'm concerned that -6 is pretty small?

95cummins5.9 01-04-2017 12:01 PM

Power driven diesel sells a modded factory lift pump

cumminsman315 01-04-2017 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCH (Post 2593715)
I'd like to run the regulator on the feed side before the pump also. I'll probably just run the fuel lab regulator. My only real hangup is that it shows 2 -8 inlets and I'm running -10 so I'll have to run some type of y fitting so I can get as much fuel to the regulator as possible and it's only -6 return. I'd like to have all the fuel moving as freely as possible from the regulator back to the tank, which will be a dedicated line back to the top of the tank but I'm concerned that -6 is pretty small?

You can probably find one that has a bigger return port than -6 but I know fuelab has one that's dual -10 in and -6 out so you could just plug one inlet and use the other without a y fitting

badbowtie 01-04-2017 01:01 PM

I would run the regulator on the return side and not worry. Most run them on the return side that is why the ports are smaller on most regulators than what is on the pumps. Think about it your stock overflow valve is on the return side.

96 3500 5x018 7mm dvs 62fmw

BCH 01-04-2017 01:50 PM

This may sound like a dumb question but exactly how does the system work when putting the regulator on the return side anyway. I understand on a gas efi system but on a p-pump I can't really picture it. How do you stop from getting high pressure fuel (whatever an a1000 can put out) when the regulator is after the pump on the return side. Would you have to modify the stock return system, like basically remove all of the stock pressure regulating parts and just install a fitting with a new line? Like I said that may be a dumb question but I can't understand it.

jlbayes 01-04-2017 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cumminsman315 (Post 2593691)
I'm running a fuelab pump similar to an a1000 and a fuelab regulator on the return side on the injection pump. Regulator is a single line in and single line out -6 for both if I remember correctly. And I ran the regulator return all the way to the tank separate from the factory style return. This is on a p-pump 24v. If I were to do it again or get around to changing it I would put the regulator on the feed side of the injection pump

I have mine set up similarly but tied into the original return. Why?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCH (Post 2593744)
This may sound like a dumb question but exactly how does the system work when putting the regulator on the return side anyway. I understand on a gas efi system but on a p-pump I can't really picture it. How do you stop from getting high pressure fuel (whatever an a1000 can put out) when the regulator is after the pump on the return side. Would you have to modify the stock return system, like basically remove all of the stock pressure regulating parts and just install a fitting with a new line? Like I said that may be a dumb question but I can't understand it.

You are guaranteed whatever pressure is at the regulator is at the injection pump or slightly higher. What are you worried about feeding the ppump "high" pressure for?

cumminsman315 01-04-2017 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlbayes (Post 2593748)
I have mine set up similarly but tied into the original return. Why?

You are guaranteed whatever pressure is at the regulator is at the injection pump or slightly higher. What are you worried about feeding the ppump "high" pressure for?

The reason depends on what pump you run. If it doesn't put out to much fuel then yea you can probably run regulator on return and have 50-60psi on the feed side. My pump in particular running at 60% power and regulator on return side backed all the way off (dumping as much as possible) runs 100-105psi on the feed side of the pump. Which doesn't cause a problem, it's been at that pressure for over 2 years now and is a daily driven truck. But at the same time doesn't need to be that high

BCH 01-04-2017 04:35 PM

See that's what I was thinking, I understand high pressure may not hurt it directly but its unnecessary and has to create some unwanted heat in the fuel system. I would have to assume if the return side is restrictive at all that could cause some problems?

blackcloudCTD95 01-04-2017 05:50 PM

I did my own efuel twice once on my 6.0 and then on my 7.3 I liked it but by the time your done making the lines and gathering the parts your burnt out.lol that's why I was really not wanting to do it on a 3rd truck

I didn't read all the way through that Cummins forum article but so far what I gathered is.. is the picky up tube is the most important part.

blackcloudCTD95 01-04-2017 06:54 PM

After reading a little bit I have more reading to do. Can I delete the previous screen/ heater? And run half inch hose from the lp intake to the tank? Then use half inch from the lp to filter housing then 1/2in from the filter housing to the IP?

What should pressure be going to the p pump?

BCH 01-04-2017 07:05 PM

My plan is to run 5/8 from my sump through a pre pump filter to the pump and through the post pump filter. Continue with 5/8 to the regulator then 1/2 return from the regulator back to the tank. I'm not sure what size fuel line I can run from the regulator to the p-pump itself. As far as presure to the inlet of the p-pump I've gotten as many answers as people I've asked..... It seems like 35-45 at an idle situation then upwards of 60-70 under power but I am by no means saying that's correct. I'd like to know what filters guys are using as a pre-filter. Aeromotive has told me it needs to be somewhere in the region of 100 micron which I feel isn't avaliable in a spin on filter but I'm still searching.

blackcloudCTD95 01-04-2017 07:23 PM

On my 6.0 I had a Napa water separator I wanna say from a old 6.2 idi then a 30 or 20 micron as a final post pump filter I was down alot lower but i was changing filters every 3k it was getting clogged

I want to run 1/2 line everywhere with the spring mod in the factory lp ... where can I find one ?? I was just on pdd Web site I see where they sell that modded factory pump. Does anyone know the factory fitting sizes are ?

9724VF350 01-04-2017 08:30 PM

The easiest way to regulate the return is using a 6an high speed check valve from Good Vibrations, and no factory ofv. $41, and you're done.