Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   03-07 3rd Gen. (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Smarty communication error fix. (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130216)

Snedge 02-28-2012 10:36 AM

Smarty communication error fix.

I have run into a random communication error with the Smarty programmers on 04.5-05 Dodges.
Issues include. The Smarty will not read from the OBDII, or I get almost through the process and receive a time out error. I tried to isolate the issues within the factory wiring, but I gave up.

I have addressed this issue, by wiring an Auxiliary OBDII directly to the ECM. I leave the factory installed OBDII installed an operational. Basically what I did was provide a dedicated path to the ECM for programming only. The Auxiliary OBDII can be mounted anywhere you like. It is also handy for POD users in getting the Smarty and cable out of the way of the clutch pedal. These instruction cover 04.5-05 Dodge only.

You'll need an extra OBDII connector. I go to the local junk yard to collect them. I just snip all the wires from the connector about six inches back and pop it out of it's holder.
Be careful, things like Bees, Wasps, Spiders, Cats, Snakes, and sometime homeless people, live in junk cars. If you are afraid any of these things, you'll want to purchase your OBDII online.

The only connector of the two located on the ECM we are interested in, is the 50 pin connector. The pins on the ECM 50 pin connector we use are pin 16 and pin 19.

The Aux OBDII will only use four wires

OBDII pin 7 to ECM pin 16 SCI Transmit
OBDII pin 12 to ECM pin 19 SCI Receive
OBDII pin 16 to Unswitched +12v power (POWER ALL THE TIME)
OBDII pin 5 to Ground (-)

I wire tap the existing wires on the ECM, and seal the connections with RTV. Don't cut the wires. I just use a needle or jaw type tap, but soldering would be ideal. I use the drivers side battery for power and ground. To do it right a 30 amp fuse should be used on the power connection, but it is not necessary for function.Use as much wire as you need to locate the Aux OBDII in a location most convenient to you.
I have done this several times, and instructed others in this same manner. I'm not going to guarantee results, but this has worked for me. Be careful when tapping to the wires on the 50 pin connector.
I'm not trying to sell you anything. Just sharing a fix that has worked for me.

huhta99 02-28-2012 11:15 AM

I had the very same problem with my 03 04 truck. did all the same thing but I did not find any homeless people sent my smarty to bob now it works great

LReiff 02-28-2012 11:24 AM

If anyone would rather have a new OBD2 connector...

For communication wire I have used cat5e cable from the hardware store.
I have cut the communication wires to make the splice and used butt connectors similar to this without issue.
If you cut the wires to make a splice be sure to seal the connections with dual wall heat shrink.

The links I posted are for reference. Use at your own discretion.

Scooter's Roofing 02-28-2012 12:34 PM

if you want a new OBD-II pigtail, EFIConnection has them

Snedge 02-28-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing (Post 1719646)
if you want a new OBD-II pigtail, EFIConnection has them

Junk yards are cool places though.

We have a couple around here that allow you to dig for your own parts.

Ktown6.0 02-28-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snedge (Post 1719790)

In typical derail fashion, this ^

Especially U-Pull it places.

LReiff 02-28-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ktown6.0 (Post 1719824)
In typical derail fashion, this ^

Especially U-Pull it places.

You can't derail a thread without rails...

LReiff 02-28-2012 03:40 PM

This is the OBD2 connector from the side you plug a connector into, wires come in from other side.
http://www.obdii.com/images/connectorblue.GIF

Howling 02-28-2012 03:46 PM

Had this happen to me with an 02 before.

huck25 02-28-2012 07:25 PM

Dumb ? Do you still have to key on/off when its direct to the ecm?

LReiff 02-28-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck25 (Post 1720055)

Yes. That's a smarty thing.

ComnRailPwr 02-28-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck25 (Post 1720055)

What I found on 2 different trucks was the ground pin #5 in the OBDII port to be corroded and dirty which caused communication problems with the smarty.

huck25 02-28-2012 07:38 PM

Thought so just wanted to make sure as it was a direct line to the ECM instead of through the truck.

LReiff 02-28-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck25 (Post 1720071)
Thought so just wanted to make sure as it was a direct line to the ECM instead of through the truck.

With the smarty it needs to see the ecm power on/off/on to start or end the flash. That is on a different pin in the obd2 port. Other software does not require this so we know that it's a smarty thing. It has nothing to do with corrosion because every truck requires it. Corrosion usually causes problems like an aborted flash or make it impossible to flash because communication with the ecm is lost or interrupted.

Not to say anyone is right or wrong. My personal experience has only seen this particular problem in 04.5 3500 series trucks and all of them were not able to load a Smarty or communicate with a DRB3 for ecm reflash function, however diagnostics worked fine.

huck25 02-28-2012 07:52 PM

Thanks. I was really just wondering if a guy could program his truck without having to "run it" while it was being programmed. Just looking for ways to have less draw on the battery while programming is going on.

ComnRailPwr 02-28-2012 08:04 PM

One truck was 03, the other was an 06. Could visually see corrosion on that pin only. Pulled obd2 apart and once cleaned boom it connected. Then soldered new obd2 in and no problems. Dunno if drb or any other programmer would connect or not, I just know smarty wouldn't.Thats my experience.

LReiff 02-28-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComnRailPwr (Post 1720098)
One truck was 03, the other was an 06. Could visually see corrosion on that pin only. Pulled obd2 apart and once cleaned boom it connected. Then soldered new obd2 in and no problems. Dunno if drb or any other programmer would connect or not, I just know smarty wouldn't.Thats my experience.

So you added an ODB2 simply for convenience. Cool idea!

Scooter's Roofing 02-28-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snedge (Post 1719790)

Oh trust me, I've spent countless hours digging through junkyards :)

where I'm at now, they don't have any decent self service yards... and I'm so super important, I just don't have the time anyhow. It costs me more in fuel to drive to a JY than it does to order a couple connectors :(

slideandride 03-20-2012 03:26 PM

did anyone figure out why the obd wasnt working in the first place? That would kinda bother me........

LReiff 03-20-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slideandride (Post 1738057)
did anyone figure out why the obd wasnt working in the first place? That would kinda bother me........

No. Why be bothered? Worse that can happen is the white smoke will escape...like a ghost...