Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   03-07 3rd Gen. (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   05 CR Crank no start, No Gauges, No OBDII Communication (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140718)

dzlfarmboy 08-30-2012 08:11 AM

05 CR Crank no start, No Gauges, No OBDII Communication

Hey guys having a hard time figuring out an electrical issue with a truck. Swapped a trans in it cleared a map sensor code test drove the truck about 5 miles came back and shut the truck off and now it will not start. Volts,fuel,oil,coolant gauges dont move on key on. I do see the tach needle move slightly. Truck has a bullydog outlook monitor and a power pup that was returned to stock before I got the truck. But the Outlook needs to stay plugged in for it to start so the guy says.

Crank no start
No gauges move on key on power but the tach.
No tach RPM during cranking
No lift pump running on key on
All gauges sweep during key test.
Checked all fuses, relays
Have 12v at the ECM during key on
Scanner will not connect with truck, but the Outlook/Smarty will power on.

Not sure if it's something with the Outlook monitor or the ECM.

I have read in a few threads of the same thing happening but there's never any answers to the problems at the end.

Any info or thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks Brett

CSnyder 08-30-2012 08:31 AM

recheck your plugs at the rear of the engine going to the trans. Most likely one has a bad connection. Ive had the same issues in the past.

LAmiller 08-30-2012 09:01 AM

Also check the ecm ground wire, had an 06 with similar symptoms.

Lavon

dzlfarmboy 08-31-2012 06:29 AM

Checked all that stuff, unplugged sensors one by one in the bus system seeing if it would connect and still nothing. This thing is whipping my a$$

LAmiller 08-31-2012 07:03 AM

Is the ecm getting power? Is there 5v going to the sensors with the key on?

jkretzer 08-31-2012 09:04 AM

brett, bet the ecm is fried, now got to find what is causing it to fry. got same problem older truck, still trying to find it. my pcm was, sent it off, tested and rebuilt. keep posting what you find.

dzlfarmboy 09-07-2012 02:00 PM

The other day I tried starting it for the hell of it and the batterys went really weak so I threw the charger on it for a bit and keyed it back on and the volts & Fuel level gauges came up and it started. Shut it of and restarted once. Took the charger off it shut it off and now its the same thing nothing. But before it had plenty of cranking juice.

Astaindsoul5446 09-07-2012 02:13 PM

Alternator shorting out?

SPEEDSHIFT 09-07-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSnyder (Post 1872716)
recheck your plugs at the rear of the engine going to the trans. Most likely one has a bad connection. Ive had the same issues in the past.

x2..

06 DIESEL 09-07-2012 02:52 PM

Had a similar issue with mine years ago, had a negative battery terminal that was not making a connection. Tightened all battery connections and no issues since.

dangerous06 09-07-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06 DIESEL (Post 1879827)
Had a similar issue with mine years ago, had a negative battery terminal that was not making a connection. Tightened all battery connections and no issues since.

X2!!! Load test batteries and clean all the terminals!

dzlfarmboy 09-13-2012 09:00 AM

Funny I already removed all the cables and cleaned them and reinstalled after it wouldnt start as they were very loose on the post. So I just rechecked them 2 days ago with a 1/2" wrench and snugged them up again. Keyed on gauges came up and it started and has been fine starting and driving it multiple times since then. Always something stupid with electronics.