Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dodge Competition and Performance (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   47re line pressure (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86478)

Rollincole 05-20-2010 09:15 AM

47re line pressure

How much line pressure in a 47re is to much line pressure i built my own tranny and would like to crank it up as much as i can without blowing seals.........

Big Blue24 05-20-2010 02:18 PM

I'm running about 160psi max on my Junker 47rh and I've been told by more than one person that 200psi is just fine on a race tranny.

When my tranny gets a billet input and upgraded flexplate, I think I'm going to firm up the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, open up the lock-up circuit so it locks to torque converter faster/firmer, and turn up the line pressure to about 210psi.

Is this question about line pressure for a daily driver?

Rollincole 05-20-2010 02:50 PM

no not a daily driver and the whole valve body thing is kinda above my head how do you firm up the 1-2 shifts and adjust shift points cool i think im at 170 pounds of line pressure now ....and since i did the trans i keep throwing it inot limp mode i keep reading i need to install a resistor in the wiring harness by the pcm do you know where and what wire

Kronic_187 05-20-2010 03:28 PM

i thought u just popped a fuse and inserted a jumper in the under hood fuse box ??

Rollincole 05-20-2010 03:34 PM

i know you do that for a lock up switch but as far as preventing the tranny going into limp mode im not sure

BlackSkyRacing 05-20-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollincole (Post 1112990)
i know you do that for a lock up switch but as far as preventing the tranny going into limp mode im not sure

I'll have to look at my book for which wires, but every Trans-Go kit I've ever installed had instructions and even supplied the resistor. Firming up the shifts involves taking the VB out, taking it apart and drilling a couple of choice holes a little bigger in the serperator plate. It's all in the instructions in the Trans-Go kit... I'd imagine that if you built your own trans that you spent the $100 for at the bare minimum a shift kit.

Rollincole 05-20-2010 04:45 PM

yes i did do the transgo tfod shift kit but it did not explain anything it said to drill holes but it didnt say why or what it did and it did not come with the resistor or instruction to do a resistor if you could find out what wires that would be awsome

BlackSkyRacing 05-20-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollincole (Post 1113067)
yes i did do the transgo tfod shift kit but it did not explain anything it said to drill holes but it didnt say why or what it did and it did not come with the resistor or instruction to do a resistor if you could find out what wires that would be awsome

It should have said why, it should have gave you three choices for different levels of shift firmness and where to drill them to to get it. That's strange that it didn't say where to put the resistor and what size that you need to keep your PCM happy... I'll look around the shop, I'm sure I have the leftovers of an old kit laying around :Cheer:

zstroken 05-20-2010 05:18 PM

I don't know why folks use the transgo kits check around with tranny builders and you can see. As far as line pressure 210-220 will collapse the forward clutch return spring.

Rollincole 05-20-2010 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zstroken (Post 1113090)
I don't know why folks use the transgo kits check around with tranny builders and you can see. As far as line pressure 210-220 will collapse the forward clutch return spring.

so how high would you go???

Rollincole 05-20-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackSkyRacing (Post 1113088)
It should have said why, it should have gave you three choices for different levels of shift firmness and where to drill them to to get it. That's strange that it didn't say where to put the resistor and what size that you need to keep your PCM happy... I'll look around the shop, I'm sure I have the leftovers of an old kit laying around :Cheer:

thanks a ton

XLR8R 05-20-2010 06:21 PM

Transgo kits are a great way to roach a tired tranny.

scott2001 05-20-2010 07:15 PM

how do you turn up the line pressure and how to guage it

BlackSkyRacing 05-20-2010 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zstroken (Post 1113090)

Dave G and Tony from Dunrite both had nothing bad to say about Trans-Go kits... They`re a heck of a lot better than stock and 1/3 the cost of a full VB which for the average guy with minor mods is a nice alternative.

Mine is holding up pretty well considering I`ve just got a good rebuild with borg-warner clutches, one of Dave G`s triple disc TCs, and a Trans-Go kit. 3 years old and close to 70,000 on the rebuild and it`s didn`t skip a beat laying down 422/903.
Quote:

Originally Posted by XLR8R (Post 1113135)
Transgo kits are a great way to roach a tired tranny.

This is true, I`ve seen a lot of people try to "cure" a tired trans with either a shift kit or a quick crank on the line pressure only to have it blow out an apply piston seal or one of the seals on the input for lock-up...

mondtster 05-20-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackSkyRacing (Post 1113172)
Dave G and Tony from Dunrite both had nothing bad to say about Trans-Go kits... They`re a heck of a lot better than stock and 1/3 the cost of a full VB which for the average guy with minor mods is a nice alternative.

Mine is holding up pretty well considering I`ve just got a good rebuild with borg-warner clutches, one of Dave G`s triple disc TCs, and a Trans-Go kit. 3 years old and close to 70,000 on the rebuild and it`s didn`t skip a beat laying down 422/903.

I'd agree with this too.

I think a lot of the perceived issues with the transgo valve body kits stems from installation errors and/or putting them into valve bodies that are worn out to begin with. I've seen burnt up trannys due to these issues several times, including multiple failures of the same trans because the valve body issues were overlooked.

I've used the transgo kits with no issues in a variety of different apps, including the overdrive torqueflites.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackSkyRacing (Post 1113172)
This is true, I`ve seen a lot of people try to "cure" a tired trans with either a shift kit or a quick crank on the line pressure only to have it blow out an apply piston seal or one of the seals on the input for lock-up...

I'd agree, if a tranny is on its last leg and/or slipping to begin with no valve body is going to help it.

Big Blue24 05-20-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollincole (Post 1113067)

If you buy the more expensive $120 TFOD-HD2 reprogramming kit, you get directions on drilling holes to make the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts firmer. I assume all kits give directions about firming up lockup to help the torque converter last longer.

To turn up the line pressure, you need to drop the pan and turn the pressure adjustment allen-head bolt clockwise 1-2 turns. While you're in there, make sure all the hex head bolts are tight and readjust the low/reverse band. If it's too loose and you raise the line pressure, I believe is when it's possible for the servo to get cocked in it's bore.

I don't think it's recommended to run high line pressure with the stock intermediate: apply lever, band strut, and anchor.

Rollincole 05-20-2010 11:07 PM

i have billet apply levers and upgraded apply servos and accumulator piston and the billet strut i called transgo and they said i need the tfod-diesel kit so i went with that does anybody have the directions to the HD2 kit they can post up or email to me

BlackSkyRacing 05-21-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollincole (Post 1113358)
i have billet apply levers and upgraded apply servos and accumulator piston and the billet strut i called transgo and they said i need the tfod-diesel kit so i went with that does anybody have the directions to the HD2 kit they can post up or email to me

Trust me re-read your TFOD-Dsl instructions, if there were a couple of holes that you drilled in the separator plate then that was what you do... Even the TFOD Shift Kit Jr's have the instructions for firming up 1-2 and 2-3 :Cheer:

I am not having any luck finding any of the instruction booklets laying around the shop... It seems someone went on a cleaning spree and decided they weren't important :bang I'll see if I can find some info on it, but if you've already contacted Trans-Go directly, why don't you simply call and ask them :poke:

NEsmoker 05-21-2010 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres the instructions if it doesint work ill type them out tonight. AS for the resistor i dont know its number, the one i have layin here is blank from dave g.

Rollincole 05-21-2010 03:43 PM

thanks a ton man that helps alot