Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Drag Racing (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   8260 RPM Cummins (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200800)

Big Blue24 08-06-2018 05:14 PM

8260 RPM Cummins

We pulled the data logs from our drag strip explosion this past weekend and I'm pretty sure we know why the Carrillo HD rod bolts failed....

8260 RPM

Here's the video:

Chris Tobin 08-06-2018 05:40 PM

That is crazy, so glad you guys built the truck tough enough to keep Todd safe!!!

It also goes to show that a strong firewall is important too!!! Imagine if that truck had a deeply setback engine and a thin firewall out of aluminum or something else thin and light?!?!?! With that boom and a big setback the parts could have ended up on his lap rather than under the steel hood!!!

rdix7991 08-06-2018 06:15 PM

I wonder what an 8 grand cummins sounded like?

Big Blue24 08-06-2018 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Tobin (Post 2676935)
That is crazy, so glad you guys built the truck tough enough to keep Todd safe!!!

It also goes to show that a strong firewall is important too!!! Imagine if that truck had a deeply setback engine and a thin firewall out of aluminum or something else thin and light?!?!?! With that boom and a big setback the parts could have ended up on his lap rather than under the steel hood!!!

For once we're glad we kept the factory setback and firewall!!!

The hood latches are so stretched, it pulled the fenders and cab corners inward!!!

Chris Tobin 08-06-2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Blue24 (Post 2676949)
For once we're glad we kept the factory setback and firewall!!!

The hood latches are so stretched, it pulled the fenders and cab corners inward!!!

WOW!!! Glad it all held together! I only plan to setback my Duramax 1-inch so I think I'll be able to keep the factory firewall without issue.

You guys are certainly pushing limits and breaking down barriers for sure!!!

chevota84 08-06-2018 09:04 PM

Well, at least carrillo is off the hook lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

chevota84 08-06-2018 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackmega3500 (Post 2676956)

Lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

YOUNG GUNS15 08-07-2018 05:16 PM

For those not on insta I gotch u

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8c019efe62.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YOUNG GUNS15 08-07-2018 05:30 PM

I say Carillo should jump on board the viral advertising wave, some of those pistons are imbedded straight into the rod!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9408e57193.jpg

9 LIVES 08-07-2018 09:18 PM

Heck where do you go from here? You built it out of the best parts available. What let the pump spin that high? I'm assuming something let go in order for the pump to rev that high.

Twister99 08-07-2018 09:18 PM

I think my truck would have gotten outta 3rd gear in that stretch lmfao #stockas****

YOUNG GUNS15 08-07-2018 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9 LIVES (Post 2677070)
Heck where do you go from here? You built it out of the best parts available. What let the pump spin that high? I'm assuming something let go in order for the pump to rev that high.

Open governor, unlimited rpm potential. It’s one heck of a mean pump, I helped with josh McCormick on UCC and that unlimited governor is nasty!

Justappumped24v 08-07-2018 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOUNG GUNS15 (Post 2677076)
Open governor, unlimited rpm potential. It’s one heck of a mean pump, I helped with josh McCormick on UCC and that unlimited governor is nasty!

I still don’t know how to drive it

turbo2387 08-08-2018 08:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You guys made it onto MSN’s news feed!

Watch a Diesel Dodge Ram Blow Up and Spew Its Guts In Spectacular Fashion

RyanMayo 08-08-2018 10:42 AM

Sucks to see the truck get torn up like that, but props to Todd for keeping it shiny side up.

Rich dzl 08-08-2018 05:02 PM

This is Why pulling trucks run fuel dump valves and billet air gates and cable around engines .. drag racing has a lot to learn in this area... what lube was you it running in the fuel to protect plungers from sticking ..

Big Blue24 08-08-2018 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich dzl (Post 2677188)
This is Why pulling trucks run fuel dump valves and billet air gates and cable around engines .. drag racing has a lot to learn in this area... what lube was you it running in the fuel to protect plungers from sticking ..

Haisley Machine Red Hot pulling fuel additive at specified dosage with fresh pump diesel was the fuel in the cell. The truck does have a 3-way fuel dump valve, unfortunately Todd was not practiced enough on it to find it at 140+ MPH. Keep in mind this was during the most violent acceleration that truck has ever seen on the drag strip as 960 cc's of fuel was forced into it with a block that could handle the power. And most pulling trucks do not run triples with dual water/air coolers and have 6 miles of piping to worry about venting safely so billet air gates work for them might not work for this application. Due to packaging constraints, there was barely enough room to fit the air filters and keep a functional hood. The BD Positive Air Shutoff in conjunction with the Blow-off valve had worked with a 100% success rate several times before hand both in testing and other emergency shutdown situations that had already occurred. Nothing is 100% fail safe, A puller with large triple setup could have one atmospheric charger blow up and take out the shut down cable and the remaining good chargers could still have a run-away and no way to shut it down. The biggest advantage a puller has is they are going slow with a sled tied to them that will eventually stop them. If you've never been 140+ MPH in a hot truck that is accelerating at full power, you have no idea the panic you'd feel as a driver trying to figure out how to get it stopped. The only valid argument you made is the safety cable around the engine and to be honest, we weren't leaning on it hard enough to need a cable... yet, but with the bottom half of the block in 8 separate pieces, who knows if the cables would have been tied into the correct threaded boss on the block to even retain the upper half, unless they were tied to the motor mounts then you'd at least have the frame to keep the cable in place. A cable is something we'll consider, especially as we lean on it harder next time.

There's no simple solution, there's no fingers to point. This was a freak series of events that with perfect hindsight, might still have occurred if the series of events happened perfectly wrong the next time. Luckily no one was hurt and the world gets to see the awesome carnage of an 8k RPM 12valve!