Pilot timing calculator

SPEEDSHIFT

Does anyone have a pilot timing calculator, or is there a general equation or rule of thumb when adjusting pilot timing in conjunction with transient?

TIA

Trying to get better spoolup on my drag truck, and mileage out of my daily. Hoping getting the pilot timing dialed in will help.

Just looking around at tunes others have posted, it looks like some run about 16* of pilot to about 8* of injection timing.

On my 06 5.9 I've been running a flat 10° across the pilot table and I like how that runs. I run about the minimum quantity that the factory ecm allows. You just have to make sure main timing is high enough to run right with the low pilot timing. Other than that I never found a good method to determine optimal pilot.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I’ve been trying to figure this out too, currently I’m just trying to target 20* total timing through whole table. In excel I copy and pasted the timing for my smallest tune and subtracted that from 20. So when I copy and paste the sum of those numbers in to the pilot timing for the tune should stay around 20 the whole time. I’ve read some people staying around as high as 35* total but I’m only running 1250us so keeping it lower. just running a simple 50/50 split for timing to keep it simple and consistent for testing to see how my pilot table effects noise, egt and mileage if at all. What’re you guys doing for pilot duration?

I've playing with this. I settled in on 8 degrees of main and 12 degrees of pilot with 2mm of fuel in the highway cruising range with good mileage quite a while back. Recently, I been running 10-15 degrees of pilot with 2-4mm of fuel and a more (over stock) advanced main timing. I settled on 12 degree and 3mm for now and truck runs really good. Very smooth, nearly no smoke.

Back