Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sled Pulling (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Drop Box (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198169)

bigstacks95 10-26-2017 08:45 PM

Drop Box

Lets discuss SCS verses Profab. Drop box only. Not interested in a reverser.

I am already leaning one direction but I want to hear what you guys have to say.

ComnRailPwr 10-26-2017 08:51 PM

I'm in the market myself. It definitely seems SCS is the favorite. Not sure if their is any current particular reason or it more just do what everyone else does kind of thing. I know at one time several years ago pro fab had some failures.

97crewcab 10-26-2017 09:24 PM

When I looked for used, I looked primarily at scs just because I didn't want to worry about the 1" gear profabs. I don't know that one is better than another, but being a 1st time uneducated buyer, I tried to reduce my chances of making a stupid purchase.

ComnRailPwr 10-26-2017 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97crewcab (Post 2641510)
When I looked for used, I looked primarily at scs just because I didn't want to worry about the 1" gear profabs. I don't know that one is better than another, but being a 1st time uneducated buyer, I tried to reduce my chances of making a stupid purchase.

Seem to be pretty tough to come by used. Been watching everything like a hawk.

bigstacks95 10-26-2017 09:32 PM

Yeah I haven't really seen anything used, Basically anyone who has one keeps it, rarely see any trucks parted out that have them. Other than Cody Thomas parting his 3.6 truck out on facebook I haven't seen anything in a very long time. And everything used is priced within a few bucks of a new one.

Which is why I am just going to buy new. As of right now I am leaning SCS. The price I was quoted was about 100 bucks more than the profab but it comes with 3 gear sets, so if you actually take the time to figure out what gears you are going to want, it can defiantly help you.

Basically I am just looking for someone here to convince me otherwise. I'm looking to make the change to a drop box for the added gear selection more so than durability, as my NP241 has not given me a lick of trouble in 5 years.

ComnRailPwr 10-26-2017 09:37 PM

Yeah. I tried to get cody to part with it but he wouldn't. Then tried to buy the whole setup this morning but he said it sold. It was a good buy. I too am going with scs but for the sole reason is my reverser is already scs. I want to keep it all the same. Broke my 271 twice this year along with every other piece of the driveline. ODL can't come fast enough. Regardless not to get off topic, I have zero experience with either but am going SCS. Carry on.

JoeySlushr 10-26-2017 11:14 PM

Up here most of the trucks with dropboxes and reversers are profab. Hardly ever see scs stuff. Maybe it’s just the locality?? Profab is here v scs in Ohio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reddline 10-27-2017 02:01 AM

Used SCS QC transfer case forever, never leaks, never breaks,I know very boring

Needed to change lower gears couple years back.
It was cheaper sell the old one to someone who want gearing the way it was and buy a new SCS with the correct gearing, that I needed.

And you can't beat the weight of the Magnesium QC transfercase, you can pick it up with 1 hand.

prostockpuller 10-27-2017 05:39 AM

Both SCS and ProFab are great boxes and are pretty much indestructible. Like mentioned in an earlier post, stay away from the early pro Fab 1" wide quick change boxes unless your horse power is under 1000. One advantage to SCS is the quick change gears can be mixed and matched at some ratios basically giving you more choices for less money. SCS also gives an "in person Cash discount". SCS also has a zero drag setup that supposedly saves horsepower. I am buying SCS for my latest build this winter because I cant find a good used setup.

RK

bigstacks95 10-29-2017 05:17 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I am excited to be able to have a few different options for gearing next year.

jones95runner 10-29-2017 05:26 PM

I have used both. More pro fab around here than scs. With that being said, I don't think I have a preference either way. Both are very nice

94 12valve 11-03-2017 02:03 PM

Does either profab or SCS have a drop box that can go behind an 4x4 nv4500? or make and adapter for one?

ComnRailPwr 11-03-2017 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94 12valve (Post 2642794)
Does either profab or SCS have a drop box that can go behind an 4x4 nv4500? or make and adapter for one?

They are divorced units. Most going this route use a 2wd 4500

bigstacks95 11-03-2017 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94 12valve (Post 2642794)

This is the route I am going, using a 2wd NV4500 with a short driveshaft between the two

prostockpuller 12-15-2017 08:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So I went ahead and went with the SCS setup. I got the reverser with the adapter to couple up to the NV4500 Bell housing. The workmanship is top notch! Craig set me up with 3 gears with for the Dropbox that can be ran to create 6 different gear combinations. The center shaft coupler system is much better than running a center drive shaft.
I have had both Profab and SCS in the past and I would say this is a hell of a setup for the money.
I did destroy the reverse gear in a profab box 3 yrs ago, Craig says he has never seen a failure in his (SCS) reverser.
I hope to get everything mounted up in the next few days and continue on with the build.

Thought I would share a few pics:

RK

ComnRailPwr 12-15-2017 08:12 PM

I too went with the scs drop box and zero drag reverser. I have yet to buy the shaft as I'm not sure how long I need it yet. I don't have any pics but they are quality pieces.

bigstacks95 12-15-2017 08:16 PM

Looks awesome RK. I'm ready to pull the trigger, where did you guys get yours from? Direct from SCS?

prostockpuller 12-15-2017 08:22 PM

yes entire setup was $5250 cash in person....its 10% more plus shipping if ordered....but I am sure he mite be able to work with you some...

Zero drag is about $1000 more.....as an Engineer I would question the claim of "Zero Drag" and I honestly think its more of a marketing thing.....to sell more parts and get guys to upgrade there existing equipment.

ComnRailPwr 12-15-2017 08:34 PM

Yes scs offers cash discount. I went with sero drag because I bought it second hand brand new for $1k

bigstacks95 12-15-2017 08:36 PM

Where is SCS located? Judging by both of your locations I assume Ohio