Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   03-07 3rd Gen. (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   48RE Slipping Shifting into OD (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199934)

RockinRam96 04-16-2018 02:11 PM

48RE Slipping Shifting into OD

Like the title says my transmission has started to slip as it shifts into over drive. It will shift through the first 3 gears without an issue, but once it shifts into OD it shudders and slips a bit before grabbing ahold.

Is there something that I can do without tearing the whole trans apart or rebuilding the whole trans to extend the life of the trans or am I looking at a complete rebuild.

EDIT: Trans fluid is at the proper level, is pink and doesn't smell burnt.

SPEEDSHIFT 04-16-2018 02:54 PM

You can pull the OD section off and have it rebuilt.

thatguy69 04-16-2018 05:39 PM

Yep sounds like you get a leaky od piston seal. I'd put a gauge on it first and see what it's actually doing, maybe the OD solenoid is acting up.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

RockinRam96 04-16-2018 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEEDSHIFT (Post 2664215)
You can pull the OD section off and have it rebuilt.

At that point is it just worth rebuilding the whole trans?

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatguy69 (Post 2664228)
Yep sounds like you get a leaky od piston seal. I'd put a gauge on it first and see what it's actually doing, maybe the OD solenoid is acting up.

Talking a line pressure gauge? Only seems to be when it shifts into OD or when I try to accelerate hard rolling at say 55 or 60 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thatguy69 04-17-2018 12:59 AM

Yes a line pressure gauge. Od rebuilds a heck of a lot cheaper than the rest of the trans. Drop the transfercase and 8 or so later out comes the OD unit.

RockinRam96 04-17-2018 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatguy69 (Post 2664292)
Yes a line pressure gauge. Od rebuilds a heck of a lot cheaper than the rest of the trans. Drop the transfercase and 8 or so later out comes the OD unit.

Does anyone sell a rebuild kid solely for the OD? Is it something I can do myself or is it an involved rebuild?

SPEEDSHIFT 04-17-2018 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinRam96 (Post 2664295)
Does anyone sell a rebuild kid solely for the OD? Is it something I can do myself or is it an involved rebuild?

There are a couple 47/48re rebuild threads done by Power Driven Diesel in the Dodge Performance section that are really helpful. Take a look at those and you can get a feel on how comfortable you would be rebuilding it yourself.

It shouldn't be over $100 in parts for clutches, steels, and seals. Call around to your local transmission shops and see if they would be interested in rebuilding the unit for you. Im sure most will want to rebuild the entire trans, but im sure you can find someone to just rebuild the OD section for a decent price. It would take maybe 20-30 mins to rebuild an OD section once its off the trans.

Like thatguy69 said, it probably started as a OD piston seal leak, but by now im sure the clutches are wore out, and they are cheap.

You can get the trans parts online, or from your local trans parts dealer. I use Transtar as they are local. Just call and tell them what you are doing, they should be able to help.

RockinRam96 04-17-2018 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEEDSHIFT (Post 2664301)
There are a couple 47/48re rebuild threads done by Power Driven Diesel in the Dodge Performance section that are really helpful. Take a look at those and you can get a feel on how comfortable you would be rebuilding it yourself.

It shouldn't be over $100 in parts for clutches, steels, and seals. Call around to your local transmission shops and see if they would be interested in rebuilding the unit for you. Im sure most will want to rebuild the entire trans, but im sure you can find someone to just rebuild the OD section for a decent price. It would take maybe 20-30 mins to rebuild an OD section once its off the trans.

Like thatguy69 said, it probably started as a OD piston seal leak, but by now im sure the clutches are wore out, and they are cheap.

You can get the trans parts online, or from your local trans parts dealer. I use Transtar as they are local. Just call and tell them what you are doing, they should be able to help.

I've actually watched a YouTube video of a guy rebuilding a 48RE and it doesn't look to difficult. To rebuild the OD section it looks like I'd just need a press, which I have access to.

I am pretty mechanically inclined and pretty meticulous when working on components, so I think I have the ability, what I don't know or know how to go about checking is tolerances and clearances and such. I'd like to rebuild this OD section myself so I know how to do it. I'd like to build this trans for performance some day.

Thanks guys!

zstroken 04-17-2018 07:52 AM

Find a service manual, the 48s are pretty easy to rebuild.

Red Sleeper 04-17-2018 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zstroken (Post 2664315)
Find a service manual, the 48s are pretty easy to rebuild.

Do this and you’ll be fine. I purchased an ATSG book before rebuilding mine.

SPEEDSHIFT 04-18-2018 06:59 AM

Here is a good place to look around at parts.

https://www.transmissioncenter.com/p...ategory/dodge/

RockinRam96 04-21-2018 07:28 PM

Thanks for the input on shop manual looks like it cover everything I was concerned about.

RockinRam96 04-22-2018 05:03 PM

I do have another question. My dad has an 05 that has tow/haul which is pretty handy, my 03 trans only has OD Off. Is there a way to convert it to tow/ haul? Is it a matter of a new PCM?

SixOhh 04-28-2018 12:59 PM

you cant change it. its in the ECU and in the dash, i feel your pain, my 48re lives in tow/ haul. your 03 is a 47re i believe

SixOhh 04-28-2018 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinRam96 (Post 2664253)
At that point is it just worth rebuilding the whole trans?

Talking a line pressure gauge? Only seems to be when it shifts into OD or when I try to accelerate hard rolling at say 55 or 60 mph.

i would replace the OD solenoid first, its easy, but messy

Red Sleeper 04-29-2018 05:49 AM

Tow/haul mode on a 04.5-05 doesn’t allow you to stay locked into 3rd gear. I had to wire up the BD overdrive lockout which gave me this feature. It’s worth the investment, plus a kick up switch.