Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dodge Competition and Performance (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   P7100 Lift pumps PDD vs FASS 220-260 gph (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206093)

dieselrattler 11-09-2021 12:50 PM

P7100 Lift pumps PDD vs FASS 220-260 gph

My FASS HD 220 GPH pump burnt up and need to replace. The truck is not my daily driver but would like it to be reliable enough to take to places and not worry about. It was recommended to me to go with a PDD Predator lift pump but I am worried about being stranded somewhere to change out the pulley belt that drives that pump. On the other hand I was told the FASS replacement pumps draw a lot of electrical power and was told under heavy loads can drain my fuel pressure below a pound. Thoughts or input? My truck is a 1995 4wd 5.9 cummins. Running the R-850 twin turbos, injectors, a modified factory P7100 pump 700-800hp range with goals of 900-1000hp. My other concern with the predator pump is if 60psi will blow the seals out on the P7100. Any input would be appreciated.

95cummins5.9 11-09-2021 01:36 PM

That psi will not hurt your p7100, other than that, I'm not much help

Vincejax 11-09-2021 02:39 PM

60psi to your ppump is fine but not necessary, 30-40 psi is more than enough. The important thing is to maintain that pressure when you are at WOT so you have plenty of overflow to keep the pump cool. The predator is a great choice, I run a similar procon pump on my 12v racetruck. In my experience the FASS and Airdog pumps are drastically over-rated, I had an airdog 220 that had 70-80psi at idle but would pull down to 4-6psi at WOT. You would never know it because it's hard to watch a gauge when you are going real fast and as soon as you lift it will pop right back up. I found out by datalogging fuel pressure that the rated pressure and flow of the electric pumps is not what it claims to be.

bateman 11-09-2021 02:46 PM

Is it the factory 160 pump? They seem to like higher pressure.

jasonc 11-09-2021 02:47 PM

That belt drive mechanical pump will be way more reliable.
I bet its an off the shelf hydraulic pump they adapt.

Carry a spare belt if your worried about it.

Vincejax 11-09-2021 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bateman (Post 2748402)
Is it the factory 160 pump? They seem to like higher pressure.

The D cam in factory 160 pumps gives very little fill time, the higher fuel pressure helps fill the barrels faster at higher RPM. I had a factory 160 pump that actually lost power above 3000RPM when switched to 13mm p+b. Had to grind cam for more fill time, then it was a whole different story. The "predator" lift pump is a procon pump for pumping chemicals. It's not a hydraulic pump, max pressure is around 250psi. It is a rotary vane pump. Simple little thing, much more reliable than a 12 volt motor.

dieselrattler 11-10-2021 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincejax (Post 2748404)
The D cam in factory 160 pumps gives very little fill time, the higher fuel pressure helps fill the barrels faster at higher RPM. I had a factory 160 pump that actually lost power above 3000RPM when switched to 13mm p+b. Had to grind cam for more fill time, then it was a whole different story. The "predator" lift pump is a procon pump for pumping chemicals. It's not a hydraulic pump, max pressure is around 250psi. It is a rotary vane pump. Simple little thing, much more reliable than a 12 volt motor.

Thanks for your reply. I eventually want to move up to a 13mm pump but will probably be a couple more years before I splurge and do that. With respect to the predator you don't think it is much to worry about the belt letting go at the most unopportunistic times or keeping the alignment of the pulleys? 6 months just seems so short.

Vincejax 11-11-2021 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieselrattler (Post 2748444)
Thanks for your reply. I eventually want to move up to a 13mm pump but will probably be a couple more years before I splurge and do that. With respect to the predator you don't think it is much to worry about the belt letting go at the most unopportunistic times or keeping the alignment of the pulleys? 6 months just seems so short.

Considering its moving at half or less the rpm as the engine and the engine rpm is low in the first place I wouldn't worry about it. Like Jason said, if you're worried about it, carry an extra belt. The electric pumps are anything but reliable anyway...

bateman 11-11-2021 01:59 PM

I’d be more worried about u joints and batteries stranding me than that pump belt. It includes a spare when you buy it I believe. I looked into these pumps and am still curious on performance from first hand user. I ended up using a modified factory lift pump.

Turbonetics TQ 11-18-2021 08:47 AM

Is there no longer warranty on it? I have had my FASS 220 GPH burn up 2 times now and both times it was replaced under warranty. Originally purchased May of 2013.

dieselrattler 12-01-2021 06:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback!