Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Video (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Roadkill Ramptruck Cummins Swap (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199696)

Big Blue24 03-22-2018 04:45 PM

Roadkill Ramptruck Cummins Swap

A few months back Todd and I went down to Georgia to help Mike Finnegan swap a 12v Cummins into his Square Body Chevy Ramp Truck. The main goal for the swap was better fuel mileage, more towing power, and the cool factor of repowering the infamous Roadkill TV show crew cab ramp truck.

The first episode has been uploaded to YouTube and you can watch it here:

chevota84 03-22-2018 05:22 PM

Did you guys approach mike with the idea?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Big Blue24 03-22-2018 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevota84 (Post 2661220)
Did you guys approach mike with the idea?

No, Mike was planning the swap long before he contacted us, in fact, he had already purchased the donor tug before he ever spoke with us.

Big Blue24 03-22-2018 09:59 PM

New Q&A video with Mike Finnegan after the first segment of the swap.

chevota84 03-22-2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Blue24 (Post 2661250)
No, Mike was planning the swap long before he contacted us, in fact, he had already purchased the donor tug before he ever spoke with us.

That's cool. He was pretty excited about his duramax with just a tuner so I'm sure he's going to be blown away with this. Also, I kinda liked the tug lol.

CorneliusRox 03-23-2018 07:56 AM

I watched the episode yesterday. Super entertaining. It was fun watching a genuine car enthusiast that knows nothing about diesels ask questions.

Did you guys complete it yet, and did Finnegan have a big smile from ear to ear?

DDually 03-23-2018 10:19 AM

Why did you guys use a 650 hp rated trans if you thought the engine would make +700 hp? That was a fun video to watch. Seeing Todd's face every time Finnegan talked chit about second gens was priceless haha.

PVXCummins 03-23-2018 10:22 AM

I really enjoyed the video when it came out the other night. CorneliusRox is right, it was very refreshing to watch some one dive into the world of diesels and ask a ton of good questions. No drama on Finn's channel either, just a good mix of wrench turning, fab work and beer drinking. Something all of us can get behind!

I look forward to the video of the truck up and running!

Big Blue24 03-24-2018 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorneliusRox (Post 2661264)
I watched the episode yesterday. Super entertaining. It was fun watching a genuine car enthusiast that knows nothing about diesels ask questions.

Did you guys complete it yet, and did Finnegan have a big smile from ear to ear?

We head back to Georgia in May after UCC for the final filming, help him tune it, etc. I expect the second and final video will be uploaded in early June.

Big Blue24 03-24-2018 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDually (Post 2661278)
Why did you guys use a 650 hp rated trans if you thought the engine would make +700 hp? That was a fun video to watch. Seeing Todd's face every time Finnegan talked chit about second gens was priceless haha.

We rate our transmissions at rear wheel HP (technically input torque is the real factor on when they slip), in the video Mike asked about crank/flywheel HP and that's where 700 came from. Realistically, with the 5x014's and 025 DV's, it'll make right at 600 to 625 HP peak to the rear tires. We've pushed our 650HP tranny setup a few times and they handle 850 HP single gear pulls just fine with zero slippage on the chassis dyno. Shifting gears at 800+ HP results in measurable slip on the dyno for a half second or so when momentary power spikes to almost 900 HP. Therefore, the trans would not hold up long term at 800+ HP but will be extremely reliable at 650 HP.

We can always bump the line pressure up to hold more power at the clutch packs/2nd gear band, but that stock intermediate shaft and output shaft will not survive long term if the line pressure is cranked to minimize clutch slippage for higher power levels. There's give and take, letting the clutches wear a little and cushion the shifts is part of keeping stock shafts alive long term.

jasonc 03-24-2018 12:54 PM

Are you gonna set him up with a lockup switch? Which I know is kinda unnecessary on a truck like that but ain't no telling with that guy.

chevota84 03-24-2018 02:41 PM

What atmosphere turbo did you use? Todd was getting ready to say and something happened.

Meyers Farms 03-24-2018 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorneliusRox (Post 2661264)

This^^^
I can't wait to hear his feedback when he gets it out on a big hill with Blashemi on the back. That engine will be miles ahead of the rotary pumped cummins they put in the caddy.

JQmile 03-24-2018 07:22 PM

I think I remember him talking about some awesome built 4L80 rated for 1,000 lb-ft for the swap.....lol not gonna do the trick!

Big Blue24 03-25-2018 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonc (Post 2661420)
Are you gonna set him up with a lockup switch? Which I know is kinda unnecessary on a truck like that but ain't no telling with that guy.

He sourced a lockup and overdrive controller from his buddy over at Compushift. When we go back, I'm sure we'll help him install a lockup a switch... I've gotta back up my 14.2 quarter mile estimate!

Big Blue24 03-25-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevota84 (Post 2661442)
What atmosphere turbo did you use? Todd was getting ready to say and something happened.

The atmosphere is a Borg 369sx-e with a 1.0 AR T4 Housing. It's the same setup we use on our Ultimate Towing Compounds kit.

One of our Employees took his personal 96' 4x4 Club Cab Long Bed to the sportsman class at the NHRDA race in Arizona last weekend and ran a couple mid 12 second passes at 106 MPH with the Ultimate Towing Compounds. Fuel mods were Budget Builder 5x014's, 025 DV's, 4k GSK, AFC LIVE, PDD Hotrod Lift pump, on a 300k mile original engine. I think his truck rolls right around 615 to 625 HP peak to the tire and trap speed shows upper 575HP average for the runs.

Big Blue24 03-25-2018 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JQmile (Post 2661473)
I think I remember him talking about some awesome built 4L80 rated for 1,000 lb-ft for the swap.....lol not gonna do the trick!

Yes, we spoke with his normal trans supplier/builder Gearstar. They were passionate about the 4L80e and really pushed hard to get their transmission in the truck.

My advice to Mike was simple, if you go with the 4L80e and standalone controller, and it doesn't hold up, I can't help you because I've never built one. If you go with the Dodge Tranny, even if it's built by them or some other company anxious to get their product in front of a million viewers, we can still help you make it hold at the current power level or any future wild power goals that may come up.

After a few phone calls and talking about realistic torque input numbers the transmission would have to endure, the 4L80 idea was dropped and PDD built 47RH got the go ahead. We weren't pushy and luckily Mike made the right decision on the transmission.

mfsuper90 03-25-2018 04:05 PM

Love this show. Out of all the crappy car TV shows, this is one that doesnt fall under that category. Just a couple of awesome guys that like to wrench on junk then tear the guts out of it like all us guys do LOL

ramtough01 03-26-2018 11:57 AM

Just watched 2 episodes of this show and im thinking why the hell not watch it sooner. Have dvr set now to watch it cant wait to see what do next

SixOhh 04-19-2018 09:09 PM

Ive been watching mike and roadkill since the beginning and i love it! Real guys wrenching and showing real world results. They are also associated with" dirt every day",Another 5 start you tube show in my opinion.

Then theres engine masters with dulsich ...

The roadkill where they do a 7.3 garrett turbo on a 5.0 in a old rotary car.. amazing