Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dodge Competition and Performance (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Bored..so you get another repetitive question. (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21710)

TheBigNasty 01-21-2008 07:41 PM

Bored..so you get another repetitive question.

Just sittin in the hotel bored out of my mind, thinking about food and my new truck. Waffle House is sounding pretty good right about now...hmmm. Anywho, I'm planning on getting my TST updated to the R49AP, getting a Power Puck, and probably a Smarty later on. I'm looking for about 550-600hp and this with the cp3 and turbo to support it should hopefully give me that much. My question is....what about the tranny. I have pretty much decided on HTS, I just don't know how deep to go. I don't know if I should just go basic, which would be nice to the wallet, or go ahead and go pretty much all out. I think that just for the hp I want a single disk converter, a billet input just for peace of mind, and a flex plate for the same reason should be good enough. Yes, no, or maybe?

Amish Elegance 01-21-2008 07:53 PM

Do it right the first time and sleep easy every night after.

See what Dusty says. I told him what I wanted, where I thought I'd stop power wise, and liked what he told me. I've since beat that thing like it owes me money and its never complained.

My .02, get the billet output too.

joefarmer 01-21-2008 11:26 PM

Above anything else, make sure you tell the trans builder your exact goals. Billet parts, trick valve bodies and sextuple-plate torque converters mean nothing if they aren't built to your needs. It was a relief to me when I asked my builder (Tim Barber) how close I'd come to reaching my goal with the current transmission. He responded with "We got pretty close, buddy. Pretty close to the money. It held too, didn't it?".

BFD99 01-21-2008 11:43 PM

what about the billet intermediate shaft, is it recommended?

973604x4 01-21-2008 11:54 PM

Why a Power Puck when you'll have adjustable pressure in the R49ap? Yes, the TST pressure is pretty violent but so is the power puck. Stick withe the R49ap and use its built-in rail gauge to dial in your set up.

above 550hp and below 600hp, you are at the limits of your stock cp3. It can be done with good tuning, but its tough.

turbo to support it???? Silver 62 at a bare minimum is required for over 550.

Do the trans all out....like stated, you'll sleep better at night and have room to grow. HTS is a good pick, i guess you've ridden in Bus's truck. BD flexplate works fine and good price.....Single disc converter? thats pretty much DTT only these days. Get a Suncoast triple disc or equivalent. Billet input and output....No Dex, billet intermediate isn't required. Its better for a little flex in the intermediate than being brittle like a billet intermediate would be.

joefarmer 01-22-2008 12:06 AM

IMHO, billet trans parts should never be 'brittle'. Another option in TC's is Opie.

OT-OF-Here 01-22-2008 06:02 AM

550-600hp

You didn't mention the VB. Also forget the single disc and get a triple/or 5* disc. That's a lot of work/labor to not do it right the 1st time.

BgBlDodge 01-22-2008 08:59 AM

I'm gonna have to agree on the triple vs. single thing. For some reason DTT knows how to build a single to withstand a ton of abuse. But then again, they designed their transmission with that in mind so it's setup that way. I know the other companies designed their tranny's with the triple in mind so their tranny's are more suited to the triple than the single. Also, you've seen what I've gone through with my tranny worrying about doing boosted launches and what not on stock shafts and I know you don't have near the self control that I do when it comes to those things so go ahead and do it once and do it right. It's gonna hurt like hell when you lay that cash down but knowing that you'll never have to worry about it again it priceless.

973604x4 01-22-2008 10:44 AM

also, consider your converter when selecting. You don't want too tight of a converter for a big single turbo.

BgBlDodge 01-22-2008 11:35 AM

Yup. That's where talking to your tranny builder comes into play. Glad I told mine I wanted twins on down the road so I've got a converter set up for it.

TheBigNasty 01-22-2008 06:50 PM

Well the turbo will probably be a 64 or maybe a 66. I'm probably going to either sell or try to upgrade the 62/14 off of my 95 and put it on there. I want to go with a big single on the 95 anyways, probably going to make it a toy to play with the sled and the 62 only has about 1500 miles on it. Phil, I know the tst has the rp but I just picked up a puck anyways so I will have to play with it and see which I like better. As for the tranny, billet input is for sure. I have a friend that can build a tranny (dang good mechanic period) so I might get the parts from HTS and have him do it. On the converter, it sounds like a tripple is the least I need so I guess I will see which is recommended. I did hear that TCI is making diesel converters now and one is supposed to be pretty bad A....but it was just here say. I do have time to think about it though because I have to try and get ahold of my W-2 that was mailed to the wrong address, but I do plan to call HTS and talk to them about it before I buy anything.

I guess what I'm basically trying to say is.....Blue watch your ass because it's about to get nasty!

BgBlDodge 01-22-2008 06:59 PM

My grudge isn't with your new truck, it's with the maroon truck and so far you have yet to beat me in it so HA. LOL

973604x4 01-22-2008 07:02 PM

call DarkSide and ask about TCI converters for more info on them in the diesel world

TheBigNasty 01-22-2008 07:17 PM

Oh you will have your time little one. It is looking like I might have to find a trailer and bring both to Buda. Do we get a deal if we bring two? LOL

BgBlDodge 01-22-2008 07:20 PM

Little one? Blow it out your ear. LOL Do you ever pick up the damn phone when someone calls?

TheBigNasty 01-22-2008 07:41 PM

You have to call my work phone, I rarely check my personal phone anymore.

SCHOOL BUS 01-22-2008 08:14 PM

brandon, what's your work number? I'd love to post it on the bathroom stalls at every loved truck stop I cons across on the way home

TheBigNasty 01-22-2008 08:34 PM

I already get lots of calls about a good time. Girls just don't stop callin.

KingS 01-23-2008 05:10 PM

the tightness of the converter isn't as much of a problem onthe third gens do to the great fuel atomizing they have look at Bruce Block he has a 91 percent triple lok and run's a silver bullet and has no problem spooling it and we all know he tow's his back up truck every where at least he did I fell bad for his 93 hopefully he get it fixed it was a nice looking first gen.