Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   94-98 2nd Gen. 12V (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   P7100 timing with no pump Id tags (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204985)

horsinaround9 09-07-2020 11:54 AM

P7100 timing with no pump Id tags

Hello everyone. I recently picked up a super duty with a p pumped 12v in it. The truck turned out to be a money pit but that's another story.
I went to check pump timing today. At tdc I am at 6.1mm plunger lift. Problem is the pump tag is long gone. Cpl is 1968 on the timing case. This truck has been a hodge podge of parts and the engine has been apart before. Is there a way to i.d which pump I have exactly ? I know I can use a timing light with pulse adapter for timing but the front of the engine is apart now so it would be easy to adjust.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

jasonc 09-07-2020 01:08 PM

Pin the pump, then knock the gear loose and TDC the engine.

Stock pumps are pin timed around 12 or 13

Then make a mark on the balancer and look up the formula to know the number of degrees to mark the balancer for your desired timing you want to set to.
Then roll the balancer back to your mark and torque the gear back on.

I can send you the measurement formula if you need it to degree your balancer.

jasonc 09-07-2020 01:10 PM

Forget the dial indicator. Way to easy to do it this way.

And go ahead and mark your balancer in degrees more and less, then you can easily make changes and fine tune the setup.

horsinaround9 09-07-2020 05:09 PM

Thank you sir ! Well I went back and pulled the throttle linkage and cleaned some more grime off the pump and it DOES have a tag ! It is a 848 pump. Internet research says that pump is off a med duty truck. That fits the mix and match of parts this truck seems to be built with..I am trying to do some more research to find specs. Worst case I will pin it like you said and move the crank.

zachu812 09-08-2020 12:42 PM

Another easy option is spill port timing it, lot easier than using the dial indicator. The timing number is only a reference point either way.

horsinaround9 09-10-2020 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonc (Post 2733610)
Pin the pump, then knock the gear loose and TDC the engine.

Stock pumps are pin timed around 12 or 13

Then make a mark on the balancer and look up the formula to know the number of degrees to mark the balancer for your desired timing you want to set to.

Then roll the balancer back to your mark and torque the gear back on.

I can send you the measurement formula if you need it to degree your balancer.

Jason if you could send me that formula that would be great. All I can find on this pump is that it is pinned at 11.5 degrees.

bateman 09-10-2020 09:01 PM

Power driven diesel got a nice magnet with the marks that slaps right on the balancer for cheap.

horsinaround9 09-11-2020 04:20 AM

I ordered that magnetic last weekend. Darn thing wont be in until Monday. The wife's old 460 truck is on its last leg so I need to get this one up and running this weekend.

jasonc 09-11-2020 05:33 AM

Diameter of the balancer X 3.14.
Then divide by 360.

turbom700 09-11-2020 08:41 AM

I have ton a few 12v with the rotating the crank back to advance timing, was doing a bone stock 12v last night and a friend lent me his dial indicator. From the factory we were getting 15.5 degrees of timing and the flag on the pump was right in the middle say it was at 12.5.

Which one do you believe? I'm leaning towards the dial indicator.

zachu812 09-14-2020 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbom700 (Post 2733784)
I have ton a few 12v with the rotating the crank back to advance timing, was doing a bone stock 12v last night and a friend lent me his dial indicator. From the factory we were getting 15.5 degrees of timing and the flag on the pump was right in the middle say it was at 12.5.

Which one do you believe? I'm leaning towards the dial indicator.

There is a fair amount of lag in these injection systems, from the spill port closing to actual start of injection there's gonna be at least 3 degrees. They likely accounted for that with the pin timing.

horsinaround9 09-15-2020 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonc (Post 2733773)
Diameter of the balancer X 3.14.

Then divide by 360.

Thank you sir. The power driven diesel magnetic degree wheel came in early so I was able to use that. Looks like I am at about 16.5 degrees. I left it there with winter coming. I will advance it some more in the spring and see how it likes it.