Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   7.3 Powerstroke (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   ebpv delete (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26093)

jtinlbc 04-02-2008 02:22 PM

ebpv delete

whats it do
what are the pros
what are the cons

'Powerstroke7.3 04-02-2008 08:13 PM

From what I understand. This will probably be wrong. LOL.
You know when its cold out and you start your rig and about 30 seconds into it idling you hear a loud hissing noise? Thats the EBPV closing to help the motor warm up quicker. Other than that. I dont know. SOMEONE HELP THIS NEW GUY OUT.

Blue01F250 04-02-2008 09:23 PM

its a butterfly valve in the turbo y-pipe (I think) that as Powerstroke7.3 said, closes off the exhaust to help the truck warm up on cold days by making the engine work harder.. it stays partially closed depending on WOT or not and putting your foot on the brake to shift (it opens, then closes back if still not warmed up)

the pro's -- better mileage b/c the valve won't be shut and making the engine work harder while in motion - better air flow b/c even open, the valve takes up about 1/3 I'd say the area inside the pipe

the con's -- I guess your truck might not warm up "as fast", but other than that... there are none I don't think...

jtinlbc 04-02-2008 10:01 PM

should I delete it
would it cause any wierd boost issues or failures
would it help fuel economt or egts

Dreambreaker 04-02-2008 10:09 PM

I'm thinking about doing this also, I wonder how hard it is to do??? Is there any possibilities of maybe screwing up a gasket or something?

Blue01F250 04-02-2008 11:36 PM

to do a full on delete, I think is fairly involved as you have to weld the holes left by the arm of the gutted valve, or you can wire it open so that it doesn't shut.. but still have the valve inside the tube...

and in theory, it should help economy in the colder months as the engine isn't having to work harder to get going... it would act like it does in the summer... w/o the restriction that the valve provides, hence likely increasing your fuel economy somewhat

as far as weird boost leaks, not if its done properly or just wired open..

let me see if I can find Maintain's video..

jtinlbc 04-03-2008 12:03 AM

no no no
what I meant was if I do the mod, presumably correctly
will it have any wierd issues such as turbo lag or any of the crazy things that could cause it to blow up

I just want to know if this is a good mod for a daily driver such as mine

should I change the pedestal as well or just plug it

I plan on doing a new turbo but like i said Im worried about the tranny

by the way, How much power would a different turbo cause me to end up with?

badfish57 04-03-2008 01:58 AM

I tossed mine to the curb along time ago.. when i replaced my pedestal O-rings and have never had a problem, Garret makes a Blank Turbo pedestal for about $150 and then you can either get a straight threw housing to bolt on the exhaust side of the turbo Or you can gut your current EBPV .. Its a little involved since you have to pull the turbo and what not.. but its not to hard..

badfish57 04-03-2008 02:00 AM

Blue01F250 I just noticed your from the same lil chit hole town I am.. Small World.. lol

Gotti2k7 04-03-2008 06:45 AM

If your gonna do a turbo and want to delete the ebpv its very easy. They make a non ebpv pedastal. And high flow outlet housings without the valve in it. Its very simple to do. Like they said earlier. Its in there to help the motor warm up on startup. Depending on were you live is were your gonna have some issues. I live in Florida. It has been somewhat could down here a few times this year. In the mid to high 30s. I didnt have any problems with start up. Just took some time to get warm. It was very easy to do with the proper parts. I bought a turbonetics turbo, with the high flow outlet. A new non ebpv pedestal, and the ebpv delete plug so it doesnt throw any codes, for 1700 from Black Widow Diesel.

jtinlbc 04-03-2008 02:10 PM

im not sure how Im gonna go about this but
welding isnt a problem
and Im not worried about turning some wrenches
but I am gonna need something for the open plug
because I really dont like seeing the service engine light

4x4dually 04-03-2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badfish57 (Post 322221)
Blue01F250 I just noticed your from the same lil chit hole town I am.. Small World.. lol

I don't know jack about Fords, but I did grow up in the chit hole next door to the chit hole these two guys live in! :hehe: The B-word! :D

Gotti2k7 04-03-2008 04:20 PM

Black widow diesel sells a plug that doesnt trip the ses light.

jtinlbc 04-03-2008 04:25 PM

gonna check it now