Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   03-07 3rd Gen. (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   how dumb of a idea is this? (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201253)

autoferret 10-10-2018 04:58 PM

how dumb of a idea is this?

I've been thinking about finding a wrecked or blown up 4x4 to convert my rear wheel drive truck.

Logically one would think that all the parts would bolt up... As long as you found a 03-07 truck to pull what your need from.

Nick

jasonc 10-10-2018 05:03 PM

The frt axle 4link brackets are welded to the frame, along with other things like the track bar bracket. Anything's possible but in no way a bolt on deal.

autoferret 10-10-2018 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonc (Post 2682711)
The frt axle 4link brackets are welded to the frame, along with other things like the track bar bracket. Anything's possible but in no way a bolt on deal.

welding is easy...

DISTURBED 10-10-2018 06:09 PM

It can be done. Trans would need to be swapped or at least the tail shaft. All the brackets would need torched off and welded on. Shifter for the transfer case mounted to the floor. I think the cross member is the same. It can be done but for the money to buy something then swap it all over, you could just buy another truck that 4x4 already but that's just me.

JWhite 10-10-2018 07:25 PM

I converted mine to 4wd, but the GM frame / suspension makes it a tad easier. I was WAY ahead on money over just buying a 4wd truck (even with having a harness made for electric shift tcase). I'd say go for it. Manual tcase would be even easier.

Red Sleeper 10-10-2018 10:21 PM

how dumb of a idea is this?

A GM 4wd swap would be easier being it’s IFS to IFS. Dodge is IFS to solid axle. To the original question, you had better have a set of factory service manuals to reference dimensions from. Being able to cut off the brackets from the donor frame and weld on to your /we frame will be a chore. If you were making a trail rig, I could see the justification. A daily driven truck or anything of the sort that’s going down the highway, not so much.

Like Disturbed mentioned, find you a 4wd platform and swap your powertrain over. Much easier task to accomplish. And you’ll have all the brackets in the factory location. I’ve done a cab swap on a 3rd gen. It’s a good bit of work but much easier than what you are describing.

Simplysmn 10-10-2018 11:14 PM

Buddy of mine did it on a 04 and had no problem's turned out Pretty Sweet like you said Welding is EASY . he DD this thing for about 6 yr's and then sold it .

Shawdrainage 10-11-2018 09:04 AM

Just takes time and a little work.

If you are close to Ohio, I have a 2006 Hemi parts truck I'd really like to part ways with. (I just needed the motor and rear axle out of it)

CorneliusRox 10-11-2018 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DISTURBED (Post 2682714)
It can be done. Trans would need to be swapped or at least the tail shaft. All the brackets would need torched off and welded on. Shifter for the transfer case mounted to the floor. I think the cross member is the same. It can be done but for the money to buy something then swap it all over, you could just buy another truck that 4x4 already but that's just me.

If he didn't want to mess with a tail section and output shaft, what would be the downside to leaving the T-Case and just not tossing the front driveshaft on? It wouldn't be bad for a two wheel drive low for towing heavy in a parking lot, or going into neutral for towing?

Just added weight.

biggy238 10-11-2018 02:22 PM

What's the intended ride height?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

jasonc 10-11-2018 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorneliusRox (Post 2682763)
If he didn't want to mess with a tail section and output shaft, what would be the downside to leaving the T-Case and just not tossing the front driveshaft on? It wouldn't be bad for a two wheel drive low for towing heavy in a parking lot, or going into neutral for towing?

Just added weight.

Lost me on that one?

autoferret 10-11-2018 04:04 PM

What I figured I would do is find a wrecked 03-07 5.9 4x4 with manual transfer case.

pull off all the parts i needed off that truck. rebuild front axle, transfer case, trans. then put it all back together. if i need to CNC new brakets.

I have always wanted 24.5 under my truck but with 24.5 you can not get a low profile tire so i'd need to have the rims machined to 24 to get a tire that would fit with out a huge lift kit.

I know its not going to be easy.