Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dodge Competition and Performance (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   hrvp finally dead pedaled (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196780)

dieselbeef 06-24-2017 08:16 AM

hrvp finally dead pedaled

changed the injectors a cpl hundred miles ago and now the fn vp takes a dump. deadpedaled it home 60 mi thru the boonies but at least we made it home pulling the 30 ft goose with a 250 gal full propane tank on it.

its a ind inj pump too..im going to the stock pump..done with all this....tow pig.

I swear **** never ends with these dam trucks*bdh*

it drives along and just drops to idle..then picks back up.....I keep driving it by coasting and mashing it from 50 to 70

jesnic7 06-24-2017 10:55 AM

Just went through the same thing with II Hot rod pump. Altough, my pump lasted for many years and many thousands of miles. I replaced with a stock so pump. Definitely a loss in power with the stocker. But, I am kinda over the erractic idle with the hot pump.

dieselbeef 06-24-2017 11:01 AM

mine idled and ran great but not for a tow pig...just too smokey. anywyas I just put inj in to tone down the egt and now this crap..dammit...

new pump filter and vp...stock but itll be smarty drag comp stacked when its empty

jasonc 06-24-2017 11:35 AM

How many miles did you get out of it Gary?

jasonc 06-24-2017 11:38 AM

Buddy of mines dad has a couple vp work trucks, they have a tree service. He adds 2stroke oil religiously and both trucks are way over 200k, same pumps.

jesnic7 06-24-2017 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieselbeef (Post 2624077)
mine idled and ran great but not for a tow pig...just too smokey. anywyas I just put inj in to tone down the egt and now this crap..dammit...

new pump filter and vp...stock but itll be smarty drag comp stacked when its empty

I have the drag comp and had the smarty. The smarty just made it a smoky pig. I did adjust my Raptor 150 down a little to about 15 psi idle. I may turn it back up to around 22, which I where I ran the hot rod pump for years.

dieselbeef 06-24-2017 07:14 PM

I had the incoming set at 20 psi..held 15 wide open..id hafta say with 240k on the truck I probly got at least 75-80k out of it. I had a comp on it and I always added 2 stroke oil..always! maybe a bit more than that is possible I cant really remember when I put it on. but I got the truck with 100k and the pump took a dump right after I got it. then I put it on..maybe 100k

dieselbeef 07-02-2017 05:07 PM

so changed the vp to an so pump. what a pig...truck is so frigin slow now I cannot stand it.
im not sure if it didn't fix the problem or the ii hrvp was so badass. it was a modded ho pump I know but this new pump is pathetic.

honestly I don't think it fixed the problem because in around the same rpm range as it was deadpedaling it now feels like a miss and weak on power. gonna check codes again tomorrow but I am not f;n happy

the hrvp just exaggerated the problem since it was modded.

RacinDuallie 07-02-2017 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieselbeef (Post 2625328)
so changed the vp to an so pump. what a pig...truck is so frigin slow now I cannot stand it.
im not sure if it didn't fix the problem or the ii hrvp was so badass. it was a modded ho pump I know but this new pump is pathetic.

honestly I don't think it fixed the problem because in around the same rpm range as it was deadpedaling it now feels like a miss and weak on power. gonna check codes again tomorrow but I am not f;n happy

the hrvp just exaggerated the problem since it was modded.

Why didn't you just throw another hrvp on??? Sounds like it lasted for a damned good while for you?

dieselbeef 07-02-2017 07:35 PM

well cuz I am trying to tune it down a bit. its a tow pig now so top end power isn't big deal...besides they were 1000 bucks more.
I bought that pump used too..i cannot complain. it has been a powerful pump and reliable too. just going a different way now
so I did the codes again and all I get is map sensor too high too long...so tomorrow im gonna check that and see what happens....

im not sure if I felt the miss or not since I didn't have along enough place to run it on cruise for 20 miles

chevota84 07-02-2017 11:22 PM

It was a hr or a dragon flow?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dieselbeef 07-03-2017 06:28 AM

5.9L 24V Hot Rod VP44 Pump (80-100Hp)*

just the hr

jesnic7 07-03-2017 08:46 AM

I agree that the SO pump is nothing compared to the hot rod. I noticed the same thing when my HR pump went out. Although the lack of power with the SO pump doesn't really bother me as I don't really use the truck to beat on anyway. It was nice to wipe a powerstroke or run away from a mustang on the highway, but I doubt it will outrun anything with the SO pump on it. Even with edge comp on kill, it just doesn't seem to have that get up and go feeling that the HR pump supplied. I am still running the 10 hole dragon flow injectors. Maybe time to add to the 3782 Garrett I have now and run twins. The truck smokes like crazy with the SO and the drag box even on 1x1.

jesnic7 07-03-2017 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dieselbeef (Post 2625352)
well cuz I am trying to tune it down a bit. its a tow pig now so top end power isn't big deal...besides they were 1000 bucks more.
I bought that pump used too..i cannot complain. it has been a powerful pump and reliable too. just going a different way now
so I did the codes again and all I get is map sensor too high too long...so tomorrow im gonna check that and see what happens....

im not sure if I felt the miss or not since I didn't have along enough place to run it on cruise for 20 miles

My map sensor code has had the check engine light on for over 5 years. I don't pay it any attention. Tried a new map sensor, new tps (kidds version), didn't make a difference, Truck runs fine, just check engine on.

jlbayes 07-03-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesnic7 (Post 2625398)
I agree that the SO pump is nothing compared to the hot rod. I noticed the same thing when my HR pump went out. Although the lack of power with the SO pump doesn't really bother me as I don't really use the truck to beat on anyway. It was nice to wipe a powerstroke or run away from a mustang on the highway, but I doubt it will outrun anything with the SO pump on it. Even with edge comp on kill, it just doesn't seem to have that get up and go feeling that the HR pump supplied. I am still running the 10 hole dragon flow injectors. Maybe time to add to the 3782 Garrett I have now and run twins. The truck smokes like crazy with the SO and the drag box even on 1x1.

Or maybe move into the 21st century for injector tech. Timing is the reason yall felt low end power go away.....add it back with the electronics...what they are for.

jesnic7 07-03-2017 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlbayes (Post 2625419)
Or maybe move into the 21st century for injector tech. Timing is the reason yall felt low end power go away.....add it back with the electronics...what they are for.

Timing, such as Smarty?

dieselbeef 07-03-2017 12:48 PM

well I drove it to town and the dam thing is bucking and missing like crazy now...no codes tho. with the hotrod it was doing the same thing but I had codes out the a$$. most of em electrical stuff. so im sure I wasted my time and money on the so pump. im gonna call em and see if they'll take it back ill put the ii pump back on.
something under the hood is making a buzzing noise. sounds like its under the valve covers. I just did the injectors a month or so ago and im really hoping it isn't anything to do with that.
in my gut I thought it felt like an inj area problem since that was the last thing I touched. but with all the vp death codes and the inj being new I just went with th diagnostics....

think I went wrong...find out later after it cools off

f me..all the weekend ive done is work on this pos truck,,happy fn 4th...fukfukfufuk

jesnic7 07-03-2017 12:54 PM

Ecm issues? Alternator bad?

dieselbeef 07-03-2017 01:13 PM

idk...ecm is poss I guess but the codes never came back. it seemed fine til I drove it to town..50 mi or so I was wondering if I was gonna make it. pulling the valve cover next...alt is getting it done...13.8 - 14.2 volts..i thought of that also

jlbayes 07-03-2017 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesnic7 (Post 2625430)
Timing, such as Smarty?

No as in the edge that isn't doing squat on 1x1.