Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dodge Competition and Performance (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Whos running Mahle Pistons in their 12v? (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17449)

dzlfarmboy 11-05-2007 12:29 PM

Whos running Mahle Pistons in their 12v?

Looking into some piston options for a 12v motor, something with a larger bowl and drop compresion a lil. Curious where you got them from and ballpark $$

Thanks Brett

Bobcat698 11-05-2007 12:38 PM

I run the larger bowl mahle pistons in my pulling truck. Compression is somewhere around 15:1.
Works pretty well, got them from Haisleys, ballpark $275 each or so, not sure what they are now.

Soup Nazi 11-05-2007 12:52 PM

The 12V Marine piston from Mahle is weak. Expect failures faster than a stock 12V Cummins piston from years 1995 and up.

If the HP is kept under 700 and cp's are held within reason they should be fine with limited use.

farmboysdiesel 11-05-2007 12:53 PM

Mahle marines can be purchsed for $65 each with rings if you look in the right place.

PRattenbury 11-05-2007 12:57 PM

I will be running them, when my engine is running again. I got them from Scheid, but they had to be fly cut due to valve lift. I figured it was their cam, and they know how much to cut to suit that amount of lift.

AsTroSS 11-05-2007 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soup Nazi
The 12V Marine piston from Mahle is weak. Expect failures faster than a stock 12V Cummins piston from years 1995 and up.

If the HP is kept under 700 and cp's are held within reason they should be fine with limited use.

You mean Mahle 155 degree bowl piston?

According to Smokem, those pistons are better than Cummins original marine pistons (reason:better the ring landing location).

Bobcat698 11-05-2007 01:00 PM

Mine aren't marines, they have the 155 bowl.

AsTroSS 11-05-2007 01:22 PM

Can somebody poset here 3 pictures (just for comparsion):

1. Mahle marine
2. Mahle 155
3.Cummins Marine

PRattenbury 11-05-2007 02:08 PM

I thought I read or was told Mahle is the OE manufacturer for Cummins pistons.

zstroken 11-05-2007 02:50 PM

Just cause Mahle makes the OE cummins pistons, doesn't mean they sell the same piston. Cummins could have supplier agreements with Mahle that prohibits Mahle from selling the same piston, or perhaps pistons using the same alloy.

AsTroSS 11-05-2007 03:03 PM

In my Cummins marine pistons side skirts are deflon coated.:rockwoot: , but I have not seen coatings in Mahle pistons

dzlfarmboy 11-08-2007 10:20 AM

So whats the deal between those 3 pistons as far as differences in, bowl, ringland, material, size/compresion ratio.

Mahle 155
Mahle Marine
Cummins 370 Marine

Snedge 11-08-2007 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zstroken
Just cause Mahle makes the OE cummins pistons, doesn't mean they sell the same piston. Cummins could have supplier agreements with Mahle that prohibits Mahle from selling the same piston, or perhaps pistons using the same alloy.

You are correct.

AsTroSS 11-09-2007 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsTroSS
Can somebody poset here 3 pictures (just for comparsion):

1. Mahle marine
2. Mahle 155
3.Cummins Marine

Cummins Marine 370
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...-7211_IMG1.JPG
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...2-7210_IMG.JPG

Mahle 155
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...500/abfe_1.jpg
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...500/ac3e_1.jpg

I have no picture of Mahle Marine piston

Voodoo Trucker 11-09-2007 09:55 AM

The 370 marine that Mahle sells looks exactly like the Cummins 370 marine pistons. It has dual steel ring lands teflon skirts. The Mahle come loaded, rings already installed and wrist pins. I will get the part number up. I have compared the Cummins marine to the Mahle marine side-by-side and they look exactly the same. I just overhauled a Cummins N-14 and M-11 and the pistons are two piece articulated design (steel crown aluminum skirts). Inside the skirts it has Mahle cast inside. I called Mahle to see if I could go around Cummins they said there contract would not allow them but, the contract time was almost up and we would see after market kits for the M-11.
Cummins uses two suppliers for there pistons Mahle and a company called something like Kopin Schmidt(?) This is what the tech guy at Mahle has told me.
By the way GM uses the same two company's in there Duramax. Mahle was used in the LB7 and LLY engines and Kopin Schmidt in the LBZ. Guess which one has the cracking problem...

fordsux8269 11-09-2007 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoo Trucker
The 370 marine that Mahle sells looks exactly like the Cummins 370 marine pistons. It has dual steel ring lands teflon skirts. The Mahle come loaded, rings already installed and wrist pins. I will get the part number up. I have compared the Cummins marine to the Mahle marine side-by-side and they look exactly the same. I just overhauled a Cummins N-14 and M-11 and the pistons are two piece articulated design (steel crown aluminum skirts). Inside the skirts it has Mahle cast inside. I called Mahle to see if I could go around Cummins they said there contract would not allow them but, the contract time was almost up and we would see after market kits for the M-11.
Cummins uses two suppliers for there pistons Mahle and a company called something like Kopin Schmidt(?) This is what the tech guy at Mahle has told me.
By the way GM uses the same two company's in there Duramax. Mahle was used in the LB7 and LLY engines and Kopin Schmidt in the LBZ. Guess which one has the cracking problem...

Do you have a part number for the mahle marine piston in .5mm over

Voodoo Trucker 11-10-2007 09:39 AM

The part # for the 1.0mm (.040) over sized pistons that I have is 286140WR-040. I think the part numbers for the .50mm (.20) is 286140WR-020. Standard pistons is 286140WR. The WR in the part number means they come with wrist pins and rings. If you drop the WR then its just the piston part number.

Jim Fulmer 11-10-2007 10:02 AM

My guess is before too long we'll all get to see how durable these really are.

The Mahles' look exactally like the pistons in my motor and I will get to tear it down soon, the compression check I did last night was not to good.

Jim

Voodoo Trucker 11-10-2007 10:32 AM

I have no picture of Mahle Marine piston[/QUOTE]
I took some pictures of the Mahle marines I have and I tried to post them but, can't get it to work. If somebody wants to post them PM me with your email address.

AsTroSS 11-10-2007 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoo Trucker
I took some pictures of the Mahle marines I have and I tried to post them but, can't get it to work. If somebody wants to post them PM me with your email address.

You have at least 3 ways to do it:
1. upload the picture CompD member galleries
2. post the picture like attachment
3. upload the picture somewhere internet (like Youtube or something similar) and link it over here