Cummins Stock Water pumps

Sanger

I know the 6.7 and 5.9 have different part numbers but is there a difference?

Can you use a 5.9 water pump in a 6.7 block?

I bought a 2012 over the holidays and the water pump just took a **** Monday. Anyways the water pumps looked the same to me.

I've used and sold quite a few 12V water pumps for 5.9 CR and 6.7 without a problem.

I bought a 2012 over the holidays and the water pump just took a **** Monday. Anyways the water pumps looked the same to me.

I've used and sold quite a few 12V water pumps for 5.9 CR and 6.7 without a problem.

The 5.9 CR and 6.7 looked the same to me too. I guess they are just charging more for the 6.7 pump? So I take it from 12v, 5.9CR and the 6.7 all can use the same water pump?

The 5.9 Common rail water pump has a plastic impeller
The 6.7 has a steel one.
They are only a couple bucks different in price from Cummins, brand new.

For the Dodge applications we use one water pump for all years from '89 through '02

03-07.5

7.5 up

I have a 6.7 pump in my 2000 5.9.
Reason being is that my 53 block has cracked twice, so I'm just trying to keep it cooler with more circulation.
My impeller is plastic with 7 blades, & yes I have a by-pass set up.
So far, no third crack, & it's cold north of the 49th.

The 5.9 Common rail water pump has a plastic impeller
The 6.7 has a steel one.
They are only a couple bucks different in price from Cummins, brand new.

For the Dodge applications we use one water pump for all years from '89 through '02

03-07.5

7.5 up

That's strange I've had four different CR 5.9 engines and they all have had steel impeller.

That's strange I've had four different CR 5.9 engines and they all have had steel impeller.

Sorry, I'm not here to cause confusion.

(Not in this thread anyway. :) )

I am going off of what I currently have on the shelf.

They are interchangeable from one platform to the other. From the factory we have seen the 5.9 water pumps have steel impellers and the 6.7 have plastic impellers, The 6.7 water pump has a higher volume as it needs to support the EGR flow. On High RPM trucks with an OEM water pump we clip to fins off a 5.9 pump. Even with it clipped we have logged over 100psi water pressure in the block at 5500rpm.

Lavon

They are interchangeable from one platform to the other. From the factory we have seen the 5.9 water pumps have steel impellers and the 6.7 have plastic impellers, The 6.7 water pump has a higher volume as it needs to support the EGR flow. On High RPM trucks with an OEM water pump we clip to fins off a 5.9 pump. Even with it clipped we have logged over 100psi water pressure in the block at 5500rpm.

Lavon

Lavon, would you be willing to go into more detail on how much you clip off of the water pumps and where exactly you clip the impeller? Possibly even post some pictures? I've been curious about doing this to my water pump but I'm not sure where to cut and how much should come off. Thanks.

I will see if I can take pics tomorrow for you

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back