FASS or Air Dog?????

and just to clear up any further confusion.. i have the FASS 150/180 currently and Dan from Fass has been 100% behind his product from the beginning, and made it possible for me to get to where i am, but enough about that, i can tell you from experience that i DO NOT HAVE TO LOOSEN my fuel filter to prime my pump.... i've changed filters many times and never had to do this, when i turn the key i usually have full fuel pressure in less than 5 seconds, and within about 15-20 seconds it is totally primed and the sound tone settles down to normal

I must agree. I never once had to do anything to prime my pump, just put power to it and it does the rest. I also have been in contact on several occasions with Dan, he's a very knowledgeable guy and help me out with my whole fuel system. I'm very satisfied with the Fass 150/180, it holds 60psi like none other.

sometimes the FASS units will need to be primed but the Airdogs are self-priming. im running my Airdog FP-150 standalone. i will need (2) washers and one will need to be ground down. and as you asked if it will flow enough? well, 150 GPH at 40psi is A LOT more than stock. im assuming the Airdog is something like 120-130 GPH at 60psi. i think the stock HFCM probably does 80-100. you will not need an aeromotive pusher. if you do, something is wrong or you are running some BIG injectors.

Garrett

is anyone running a fass or airdog with 190s or bigger and how do they perform.

I talked with Toby, the tech guy at AirDog, about turning up the pressure using the washers. (Great guy) he said it was easy to do, but also that you loose air separation above 70 PSI. He said you still get some benefit, not just 100% air separation.

EDITED FOR A PREVIOUS ERROR!

Last edited:
I talked with Toby, the tech guy at AirDOg, about turning up the pressure using the washers. (Great guy) he said it was easy to do, but also that you loose air separation above 70 PSI. He said you still get some benefit, not just 100% air separation.

Yeah, Toby told me the same thing. I'm just having a hard time deciding on which one to get FASS or Airdog. Does the FASS 150/180 need to be shimmed to put out 60psi of fuel pressure like to airdog has to. Or does it already come with 60psi pressure when you order it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Toby told me the same thing. I'm just having a hard time deciding on which one to get FASS or Airdog. Does the FASS 150/180 need to be shimmed to put out 60psi of fuel pressure like to airdog has to. Or does it already come with 60psi pressure when you order it?

not shimmed, but if you are running an aftermarket fuel return or cross over regulated kit, make sure you tell dan so that he will send you one w/a stiffer spring in it. if not, you will not be able to even maintain 35psi, w/the new spring they sent me it holds 60psi no problem.

that thing about not having full air separation above 35psi though really pisses me off, because that's the bare minimum pressure ford recomends for injector safety, and if there's no real air separation benefit, then why the hell did i pay 700bucks what's basically a fuel pump ??

i could have bought an aeromotive for half that, and done the same thing it looks like ??

Guys I was incorrect, I talked with Charlie and he said that was bad info. Its good up to 70 PSI with the new pumps, so Shim away. He also apologized for the directions and said they are in the process of making new instructions, complete with color photo's.

Guys I was incorrect, I talked with Charlie and he said that was bad info. Its good up to 70 PSI with the new pumps, so Shim away. He also apologized for the directions and said they are in the process of making new instructions, complete with color photo's.

are we talking about only the airdog ??

do you know if my FASS is actually doing what it is supposed to do at the 60psi i have it set to or not ?

I really do not know you will have to ask Dan. I hope so, because that is what I am going to be running on the Comp D race truck.

Funny to see specs change for marketing reasons....but neither here nor there.

You will be fine as long as our pump is returning fuel back to the tank. Units working with regulated returns need to keep this a constant check to make sure our pump is doing its thing.

So is it best just to run it straight from the FASS to say a Y and then straight to the heads?

So is it best just to run it straight from the FASS to say a Y and then straight to the heads?

WELL i do believe that fuel circulation through the heads will be good for air purging for when changing filters or any fuel system servicing and to keep fuel temps down.

With our system the most ideal way to do this would to feed the engine through the back of the heads (Using the natural lean of the engine to your advantage) and connect the two heads at the fnt of the engine. Then instead of using a regulator, use a flow control valve or use a set orifice that will allow a dead head condition for our pump to build and control pressure but still bleed fuel back to the tank at a set volume. On the low pressure side of the flow control valve or orifice, there will need to be a one way check valve to make sure the heads don’t empty when the unit is shut off.

We have a few dealers that have built and tested a setup like this and it has worked great! PLUS I would think cheaper than the current regulated return kits as it deletes the regulator.

you do need to make sure that the filters are full of diesel when you screw them on though and it will prime right away..
one time i was changing the fuel filters on the side of the road (long story) and had no way to fill the new ones with diesel, so i filled them bad boys up with some 40wt oil i had in my road kit... then i just turned the key and it primed up in just a few seconds.. of course i let the fuel pump run for about 2 minutes to dilute all the oil back into the tank instead of the head (another reason to have a good x-over system on your regulated return kit ) :)
then she fired up, never missed a beat and got me home no issues.

Im glad you brought the story to our attention. With an AirDog you wouldnt have had to worry about messing with all that!

Back