View Single Post
Old 11-19-2018, 08:18 PM   #49
Bersaglieri

Name: Bersaglieri
Title: Ron Swanson's Brother
Member`s Gallery
I have read that folks like crabbelle saw 2-3mpg increases from the 178/208 cam which is very good selling point in my eyes. Cleaning up smoke and MPG is why I would consider buying one. Even if it only gave me 1.5mpg I'd be happy. On the other hand I have seen people wipe lobes on aftermarket cams. I'm not saying it's the cam's fault but it makes me wonder if I will regret putting one in. What if I forget zinc one time, is it a good idea on a 250k motor, will I break it in correctly, stuff like that. Again, I'm still reading up on this stuff. Ironically, I am about 4 years behind being "up to date" in the 12v world.

Another thing I have read about lately is electric fans. Here is what I just posted in my rather short conversion thread:

"I'm kicking the electric fan idea around more. Although reliability is paramount, I like what I am reading about the increase in mileage from them. JQmile documented 2-3mpg, as well as Hammer with as high as 3.1mpg. Even if I got 1.5mpg I would consider that a win.

Electric fans would solve a few isses in my situation.

#1 Driveshafts are left alone. One of mine is fresh with new Spicer joints and a balance.
#2 It solves an issue specific to the Excursion, since unlike the Super Duty it does not have a second set of holes to move the transmission crossmember back to. I would need to move and make my own assuming nothing else is in the way.
#3 It would eliminate issues with having to modify or fabricate a fan shroud.
#4 It sounds like it could help with cruising MPG on the highway. Around town I don't expect or need good MPG. However highway MPG is where I like to shine. And we do not tow much of anything with the Excursion so the 18,000lb GVWR limit for the Flex-a-lite fans is not an issue."

Alot of folks have told me 20mpg is out of reach, but it seems with the right parts and driving style it should not be an impossible task. With 30,000 miles of driving a year, 1 or 1.5mpg is a decent return on investment.
1994 - LT1 - 4L80e - Moser

Last edited by Bersaglieri; 11-19-2018 at 08:20 PM.