View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
OnVacation

Name: OnVacation
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
'48/'05 Harley Panhead Chopper - lots of pictures

After rebuilding all winter, with less than 250 miles on the chop, I laid her down. Unfortunately the bike took a little damage, but nothing really serious, and nothing that can't be solved with a little bit of work with a hammer and a welder. The engine still runs fine (I rigged the oil feed so it wasn't starving for oil). there is no structural damage to the frame either.

Normally I would repair this and ride, but I'm getting married in October, and deploying in January, and frankly it just wouldn't get done, and I'm out of space for storing projects.

The following is the list of work done (the truth as I know it...), and what needs done to ride happily down the road:

'48 tank and rear fender
Delkron generator case
S&S flywheels and connecting rods
Wiseco forged aluminum Pistons, .040 over
freshly bored cylinders, high temp black paint and 3x coats of clear (pistons, rings, and cylinders have under 250 miles on them)
'55 heads, valves, keepers, retainers, springs, and valve seals have less than 2500 miles on them
S&S oil pump

4-speed kick only transmission
early '80s kicker cover (this has the upgraded kicker shaft support that prevents leaks)
andrews transmission gears
baker +1 clutch plates

1 1/2" belt drive

wide glide front end (no physical damage to the triple trees or legs, but the legs need to be realligned from the accident, this should be nothing more than loosening the triple trees)

unknown choppers frame

21" wide glide wheel

16" rear wheel w/ disc from a late model electraglide, easily available brake pads

Morris magneto (magneto was rebuilt less than 250 miles ago at morris with rare earth magnets, heavy duty shaft, coil, points, and bearing. Essentially a brand new magneto with a vintage cast body)

filter-in-tank oil tank with integrated battery tray (the support has a crack at the bolt mounting hole, but can easily be welded back)

the front brake line and the throttle cable need to be replaced. They were not broken, but the brake lever assembly rotated on the handlebars and put a kink in both.

Needs new exhaust, or exhaust repaired

also included:
S&S backing plate and filter with teardrop cover
spring seat (the formed seat was broke in the accident)
single side saddlebag with some wear and tear

can be negotiated for:
NOS 23" DID 36 hole rim
freshly soda blasted, vintage CCE finned valve covers
goodson finned, cast aluminum magneto cover (brand new, hardware included)

The bike is titled as an '05 custom construction, and has a free and clear title. The bike was titled as an '05 because the cases are aftermarket, as is the frame. I have a copy of the MSO for the cases showing a manufacturing date of 1995, I also have a copy of the application for title from texas. once I have money in my hand, I really don't care how the bike is registered or insured... My copy of the MSO and title application will go with the new owner so that you can do whatever you need to...

I think that covers most of the high points. Hopefully the pictures tell the rest of the story.

Please call or text if you have questions, ask for David at 906-396-2094.

I'd consider possible trades or trade plus cash for the following:
Good running shovelhead or evo bagger (something the fiancee and I can ride together, must have modern amenities like swingarm with shocks)
Work on my diesel (needs new top turbo and piping for twins, if you're serious me, contact me, you could score a great deal for your labor...)
mig or tig welder (can be a 110 or 220)
high performance 12V cummins parts

Someone here has a good turbo and mad skills with a welder and could help me get my turbos finished and my truck on the road. This is a great way to get a good deal on a bike with nothing more than some parts, and your skills and time...

Click the image to open in full size.

this is the crack on the oil tank support. Since the bike is running a magneto, it has no need for a battery. Could probably be ran as is, but I'd weld it for safety's sake