Open driveline front diff - what to use?

SmokeShow

What do the big driveline guys run up front. Looks like they have to be centered rather than dropping on one side or the other due to the profabs and scs xcases? So exactly what model diff is used up front n where do these come from? Anything special done to them or just stock enough?

Just curious.

I think most are just running fully built D60s... not sure which one though, lol. I know there is a D80 front, but not sure how its strength compares. Might have been a custom axle I saw in a 4wheeler mag too...

no they are F106's with spindles welded on...FDS75's or military fronts....or some with sheetmetal front housings....:)

What are the spindles from that they weld to the f106?

These f106s, are they fine to run as stock or are special things done to them to make them better suited for the job?

SCS axles with a spool is the ultimate setup...but pricey. Spindles off of any of the military fronts would work fine....lots of work

What are the spindles from that they weld to the f106?

These f106s, are they fine to run as stock or are special things done to them to make them better suited for the job?

You could always index the drop box so you can either have passanger or driveside front axle.

How's that gonna work for the rear though??? With the profab n scs the outputs are opposite each other so if you index the case so the front drops on pass side, the rear would also be offset, right? Or do they make offset cases???

I just didn't see em on their sites.

If you are sticking with a dana 60f, say for a superstreet truck, you would position the dropbox halfway between the offset of the front axle and the center of the rear axle.

interesting... and I assume since you (you have great credibility) say that, the funky u-joint angles side-to-side wouldn't be a problem or is there something to do with them to make them happy that way?

you can run a Dana 80 centersection with Dana 70 open knuckle outters (stock open knuckle 70's are extremely hard to find).......your best bet would be a front load rockwell, stay away from toploaders (too tall) and anything that dosent have a BUDD 6 or "semi truck" 10 lug pattern, especially some of the old fords and IH's that had the "knuckleless" front loader axles......they were weak, you cant get wheels made cause they have no lugs, and and the parts are almost non existant......i can get pictures of one if need be......

interesting... and I assume since you (you have great credibility) say that, the funky u-joint angles side-to-side wouldn't be a problem or is there something to do with them to make them happy that way?

The angle of the drive shaft will be fine. The angle of the drive shaft is just sidways rather than up like a stock type t-case.

Back