View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Smarty communication error fix.

I have run into a random communication error with the Smarty programmers on 04.5-05 Dodges.
Issues include. The Smarty will not read from the OBDII, or I get almost through the process and receive a time out error. I tried to isolate the issues within the factory wiring, but I gave up.

I have addressed this issue, by wiring an Auxiliary OBDII directly to the ECM. I leave the factory installed OBDII installed an operational. Basically what I did was provide a dedicated path to the ECM for programming only. The Auxiliary OBDII can be mounted anywhere you like. It is also handy for POD users in getting the Smarty and cable out of the way of the clutch pedal. These instruction cover 04.5-05 Dodge only.

You'll need an extra OBDII connector. I go to the local junk yard to collect them. I just snip all the wires from the connector about six inches back and pop it out of it's holder.
Be careful, things like Bees, Wasps, Spiders, Cats, Snakes, and sometime homeless people, live in junk cars. If you are afraid any of these things, you'll want to purchase your OBDII online.

The only connector of the two located on the ECM we are interested in, is the 50 pin connector. The pins on the ECM 50 pin connector we use are pin 16 and pin 19.

The Aux OBDII will only use four wires

OBDII pin 7 to ECM pin 16 SCI Transmit
OBDII pin 12 to ECM pin 19 SCI Receive
OBDII pin 16 to Unswitched +12v power (POWER ALL THE TIME)
OBDII pin 5 to Ground (-)

I wire tap the existing wires on the ECM, and seal the connections with RTV. Don't cut the wires. I just use a needle or jaw type tap, but soldering would be ideal. I use the drivers side battery for power and ground. To do it right a 30 amp fuse should be used on the power connection, but it is not necessary for function.Use as much wire as you need to locate the Aux OBDII in a location most convenient to you.
I have done this several times, and instructed others in this same manner. I'm not going to guarantee results, but this has worked for me. Be careful when tapping to the wires on the 50 pin connector.
I'm not trying to sell you anything. Just sharing a fix that has worked for me.