Tag trailer big enough for EC LWB?

Got Smoke?

I've been browsing around for about the last year occasionally looking for a tag trailer to have for multipurpose, but I would like to be able to haul my 97 EC LWB 4x4 on it to some drag races once I get the auto swap finished.

Typically I've always used goosenecks for trucks that big, but my megacab came with a cap and has never had a gooseneck in it so that would add $500+ to the cost of buying a gooseneck style trailer.

Are trailers that are built heavy enough to haul my truck common or custom built? Most everything I have been seeing has dual 3500lb axles and that isn't going to cut it.

A 10k trailer should be pretty easy to pickup. I have one, guy used to pull a 1998 long bed crew cab Chevy/Cummings on it

I'd rather have a tandem 6/7k axles vs 5k 20' long minimum
10k Trailer weights ~2-3000lbs add 1000lb pin weight capacity for 11000lb total trailer gross. Gives you a ~8000lb cargo.. pretty much asking for blown 15" tires
Plus you go from 10" brake to 12" brakes

7K axles are only about $20 more than 6K axles. That said I second the recommendation of Tandem 7K axles and 16 inch tires.

That Knk trailers on craigslit sells 20' 14k equipment trailers for around $3,300 mark.. but I priced a Gatorade for $4,200

I have a tandom tag trailer with the six lug axle's, I believe the gvw is 12.5k. I can haul a ec dually on it no problem. Just get good tires.

I personally would not rest easy traveling down the road with that much load bending in the middle.

IMHO, I would spend the $500, get a gooseneck, and not place yourself in harms way.

As long as the trailer is rated for your load, I don't see a problem. When buying one, get one for more than what you need right now. It will save you some wear and tear. I tow a Rogers 50k gross tag which regularly sees 30-44k lbs with no issues.

I can run 80mph no problem, pulls great and other than the cheap tires it came with new no problems. I wish I bought a gooseneck for one big reason is so everyone wouldn't want to borrow it all the time.

Too many people to quote.

Agree on minimum 20Ft trailer... I used to share a 20+4 gooseneck with my cousin and there wasn't enough room to for my 97 to pull up and fold the ramps flat as it hung over teh dovetail.

Agreed would rather have 7K axles... rather have some wiggle room than be right at my limit.

Thanks for the feedback don't have the money to buy new and looks like they just aren't plentiful used in this construction... at least in my area. Oh well thanks for informing me.

Id second the gooseneck, it trailers so much nicer than a tag trailer. You can get a 16k gooseneck and safely put 10-11k on the deck. Id also get a 24' length, I had a 20' and it was a little tight.

Too many people to quote.

Agree on minimum 20Ft trailer... I used to share a 20+4 gooseneck with my cousin and there wasn't enough room to for my 97 to pull up and fold the ramps flat as it hung over teh dovetail.

Agreed would rather have 7K axles... rather have some wiggle room than be right at my limit.

Thanks for the feedback don't have the money to buy new and looks like they just aren't plentiful used in this construction... at least in my area. Oh well thanks for informing me.

Didn't you run hotshot for a while?!? Did it all go out the window when you sold everything?

Compd discounts ? Lol I have towed a truck on a trailer like the op wants and on a GN I prefer the GN all day

Oh I agree on the gooseneck... like I mentioned the cap is kinda nice for dry storage on the truck, its doesn't have a GN hitch currently ($500+), but I was just exploring all options.

Didn't you run hotshot for a while?!? Did it all go out the window when you sold everything?

14 months... nothing went out the window just exploring options. A tag trailer would be more practical for most stuff I haul around all being smaller than my 97, but honestly there's not many races I would compete in so I was just thinking kill two birds with one stone.

You'll be fine with a bumper pull. If you're really worried about swaying put a weight dist hitch with an anti sway bar on. Besides if you travel with your family the topper makes it nice to protect things you don't want to put in the cab

Last edited:
Back