View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 06:01 PM   #9
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I really appreciate the safety aspect of 1/8 mile as the top speed is slower and safer for these heavy trucks, and Rob is one of the few that seem to appreciate the magnitude of the physics involved that would be devastating if there were a crash at top speed by a 5000-pound truck... Rob is also one of the few that I have seen with a beefy 2-inch diameter .120 wall cage that will be more likely to hold up in a high speed crash than some of these 1.5-inch .065 and .085 wall cages that I have seen. I think it would be great for the sanctioning bodies to address this before someone gets seriously injured or killed in a truck that was "fully caged" but folded up in an impact at well over 100 MPH with a 5-6000-pound truck...

But one thing I don't understand is the assumption that people keep repeating that there will be less breakage and downtime for cleanup with 1/8 mile as apposed to 1/4 mile... How many guys break down between the 1/8 and 1/4??? Seems that most of the breakage and oil downs that I see while shooting diesel events happens between the water box and 330-500 feet. At NHRDA events do a lot of trucks break past the 660???

I think the requirement for an engine and transmission diaper/containment device will be MUCH better at speeding up cleanup than going to 1/8 mile...

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.