View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #9
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.lee View Post
You can tighten up the steering gear box?
How? Any info or a link?
There's a lock nut on the top of the box (21mm), and a shaft that you can adjust with a flat head.
This is set in tension from the factory to create an appropriate amount of pre-load. After things wear, it might need to be adjusted to tighten things up, but over-tightening it can cause excessive wear and kill the box pretty quick. The rule of thumb is a 1/4 turn in for every inch of steering slop you have with the truck off. Measure the slop at the end of the steering wheel and you won't ever get less than 2", so let that be your target.

I have never found a service procedure, and I don't think it's recommended to ever adjust it since it can cause damage pretty easily. Just understand that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramthiscummins View Post
I would also get a quality steering stabilizer like a fox or king from carli or thuren.

I have a rancho on mine and it doesn't keep the steering as tight as I would like. It wanders a bit with 33 1/2s in slush and snow. I will probably get the king thuren steering stabilizer soon.
Make sure you are actually getting an IFP shock and not an emulsion or twin tube setup. The IFP works in all orientations, while the other two only work in certain orientations.

I've had poor luck with Fox shocks from a durability standpoint. It might be where I live, and the extreme cold, but they only ever last a year at a time.