Most durable headlamps?

BigPapa

Truckless
What have you found to be the most durable headlamps?

I've been using the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras but I'm really getting tired of replacing them every 3-4 months. I get them from O'Reilly's and they do warranty them with no problem. I think I'm going to try the Philips Crystalvision Ultras. I've also heard the Piaa lamps hold up well. I have four vehicles and I'm only having trouble with my truck, takes a 9004, and my daughter's HHR, takes a 9008. Now that I think about it, those two are the only ones I've put the Sylvanias in. I've never put a headlamp in my son's '03 Avalanche or my wife's '07 ES350.

Thanks.

I ran the Sylvanias in my '02 for years and had the low beams jumped to come on with the high beams. Never had an issue.

I'm gonna need to replace the entire assemblies in my '09 soon. Getting yellowed and cracked.

I've switched 2 vehicles over to the high end Phillips bulbs. Cheaper by a tad, and haven't had to replace any yet. I was going to change over to the LED stuff but I'm limited on space with the buckets in the cars headlamps.

I've had really good luck with these guys. I've upgraded the last three vehicles we've had and never had a failure. Very small ballast too (about the side of a AA battery).

Light output is up significantly as well.

I've had really good luck with these guys. I've upgraded the last three vehicles we've had and never had a failure. Very small ballast too (about the side of a AA battery).

Light output is up significantly as well.

Just saw that I never linked anything. This is what I was talking about:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FRC77GX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And for older 5x7's I run these in my Jeep and they work awesome.
Complex Reflector, 5 LED Rectangular, 2 Diodes Headlight, Polycarbonate Lens, E-Coat Aluminum, 12-24V | Truck-Lite

Need some 9006’s myself. Not sold on LED’s and too cheap to buy a retro projector/HID setup like the Morimoto.

I wonder if my driveway has something to do with me blowing bulbs. It’s rough as sht.

Need some 9006’s myself. Not sold on LED’s and too cheap to buy a retro projector/HID setup like the Morimoto.

I wonder if my driveway has something to do with me blowing bulbs. It’s rough as sht.

i'm right there with you. I see pictures of retro fitted projector setups and i'm super envious of the output. but its hard for me to spend $700 on lights. its not something i'd tackle myself so i'd have to pay someone for it

I purchased the same LEDs off amazon and love them. I got a set for my truck, my car, my dads ram and even a close friend. Everyone loves them.

Just saw that I never linked anything. This is what I was talking about:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FRC77GX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How do these mount/install? Cut the existing harness?

Nope, they plug into the stock harness, and they mount on the stock location. You just need to tuck the ballast into the headlight housing behind the reflective part.

I would highly recommend projector headlights with a cut-off plate or you'll be one of 'those a$$holes' in a truck with bright lights that blind everyone. I did some projectors when I did mine and I have so much light now. I love it.

I ran silverstar zxe in my 99. I put 1 set in and only had to replace the driver's side after a small fender bender. Passenger side has probably been in since 2011-2012. Slightly brighter light. I put them in every stock headlight 2nd gen I buy.

Best bulbs I've ever had were a set that came in the sport lamps from Ebay that I installed in my '96. I put them in it in 2005 and as of 2018, had not lost a bulb. I have no idea what brand they were, but I firmly believe it's because I built the wiring circuits that powered them and tied them directly to the batteries.

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

Nope, they plug into the stock harness, and they mount on the stock location. You just need to tuck the ballast into the headlight housing behind the reflective part.

I would highly recommend projector headlights with a cut-off plate or you'll be one of 'those a$$holes' in a truck with bright lights that blind everyone. I did some projectors when I did mine and I have so much light now. I love it.

Where would you tuck the ballast on something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Pontiac-SedanOE-Replacement-Headlights-Passenger/dp/B00OJEYLJO/ref=asc_df_B00OJEYLJO/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241932433092&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15735991426981403763&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017502&hvtargid=pla-684322046572&psc=1

Best bulbs I've ever had were a set that came in the sport lamps from Ebay that I installed in my '96. I put them in it in 2005 and as of 2018, had not lost a bulb. I have no idea what brand they were, but I firmly believe it's because I built the wiring circuits that powered them and tied them directly to the batteries.

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

I've got this exact same setup on my 99, I built my own harness that goes directly to the batteries also. 5 years on the bulbs that came with the ebay sport housings and counting.

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-9004-100-80W-Wattage/dp/B00IKM3DGI?th=1

Anyone tried these?
Probably best to install a relay to run em, but possibly a cost effective solution.

I bet your headlight housing would get too hot and melt.
On my 12V I did bypass the normal headlight switch circuit and do relays from the battery. It made my lights quite a bit brighter, and I tossed a diode in to keep the lows on when I switched to highs.
I'd recommend a circuit breaker (like a fuse but resets after it cools) if you do this. :Cheer:

Back