Wheel hop- driving me nuts

blackcloudCTD95

Its a ext cb lb 4x4 3500 convertered to srw. It's not death wobble this is in the rear you feel it in the seat. It feels like rear of the truck is is hopping around at 38-40mph. You can drive out of it and you can drive 35mph and it won't do it. Its driving me nuts.. Ford(99-04ish) 4dr lb 4x4 srw have the same hop and there iant a fix, nature of the beast due to the length of the wheel base

Ive had 3 sets of tires, u-joints, 2 different sets of rims. Both axle shafts, carrier bearing. Replaced

I had a customer replace his drums and ever since that happened he had a vibration and it ended up being the drums. Balanced tires, rotated etc. ( I was thinking that could be it) ?? Maybe adding Trac bars ? Adding weight to the truck to see if it helps it any

Have any of y'all ever ran into that??

Last edited:
A suggestion is that if you know anyone with a gopro try placing it under the truck and record the rear axle to see if you catch on video what is happening. It may show that the hop is from a single side or not. I know I would get wheel hop when driving in snow due to the axle wrap. I put a set of ladder bars on the truck and the issue went away.

Did you have the driveshaft balanced? Is the driveshaft a 2 piece and out of phase? Like try splitting the shaft apart at the slip yoke, rotating it 180 dg and reinstalling.

Happens when in driving empty. I havent seen what it does with a payload in the bed and I also havent pulled a trailer in a min so i don't know. The truck had toyo at , cooper at3, and now falken wild peak at2.

It is a 2 peice drive shaft and looking down the shaft all the chalk marks are aligned.

It does feel a little like wheel hop when it does it its not a vibration, its a bouncing jaw jaringin the seat. I don't know if vehiclws behind me can see it or not

I'd check out the carrier bearing for the driveshaft, and maybe have the driveshaft balanced.

I'm assuming your wheels were balanced and checked for runout when new tires were put on.

Trans mount is a good call too.

Lastly, check your leaf springs and the u-bolts. Make sure you don't have a crack in one of your shackles.

Also check your angles. Trans to DS, carrier bearing, and pinion angle. Make sure they math out correctly.

One piece driveshaft and aluminum rims fixed my ECLB right up. Fought the wobble shudder unbalance forever and lots of money too. Track bars helped some but leaf spring clamps helped more. Good luck

What are these leaf spring clamps you speak of? I jacked it up last night after work and had someone hold is at 37-40 and it's defiantly comming from the right rear. I just played with a road force balance machine to figure out a high/ low spot I roated the tire on the rim 180*. While the tire was off I checked the brakes. Which I knew needed to be done. The adjuster is about maxed out and the drum has some play when it's slipped on. Brakes are going on next week

I had same issues, tracked it down to the carrier bearing, replaced it 3-4 times before the last time which I eliminated that pesky 2pc driveshaft and weak carrier bearing setup. I replaced each time with bearing assembly from Mopar.

Had a custom 1pc driveshaft made and been fine ever since.

Just throwing out my experience......

On edit* this is on my 98.5 quad cab 3500......

Last edited:
This might sound hillbilly, but on my truck with 37's and three extra inches in the rear, a treated piece of dimensional lumber made an excellent spacer for the carrier bearing to keep it happy. You'd be surprised how well it worked for absorbing just a little bit of shock. Make sure you use thread locker since it's not technically a hard joint. ;-)

I really dont think ots the carrier bearing, 1) the truck isn't lifted and I dont have that studder/ shudder when you dont drop a carrier. 2) it's only the right rear thats effected left rear is fine. Both axle shaft a are new. But I will double check it when i do the brakes

Back