New truck to race in Mexico and the track

Empty_Pockets

Undercover Epa agent
So I'm picking up a new to me truck tomorrow. After i change some things up on it and make it my own I'll be shooting for 10s. I've raced duramaxs, powerstrokes, and a few cummins trucks. The cummins I have raced before were all older. It's a 12 4th gen. Looking at any insight, tips, tricks, etc for suspension mods mainly. It's a built 48re with pcs vb and ratchet or gated shifter. Release the opinion train. Excited to start talking more here, make some friends, enemies, and hopefully bust into the deep 10s.

So I'm picking up a new to me truck tomorrow. After i change some things up on it and make it my own I'll be shooting for 10s. I've raced duramaxs, powerstrokes, and a few cummins trucks. The cummins I have raced before were all older. It's a 12 4th gen. Looking at any insight, tips, tricks, etc for suspension mods mainly. It's a built 48re with pcs vb and ratchet or gated shifter. Release the opinion train. Excited to start talking more here, make some friends, enemies, and hopefully bust into the deep 10s.

So you found the info you were looking for?!

Wasnt built very long ago. Has less than 10k miles on the engine. Honestly with the invoice i got from them I'm not too worried about the engine or transmission at this point. Buuuttttt it could blow up in the parking lot tomorrow or coming across the mountain to my house lol. It is what it is. I'm kind of doing the same thing. Trading in a 800 hp capable duramax. Only thing wrong with it is the rust lol

Wasnt built very long ago. Has less than 10k miles on the engine. Honestly with the invoice i got from them I'm not too worried about the engine or transmission at this point. Buuuttttt it could blow up in the parking lot tomorrow or coming across the mountain to my house lol. It is what it is. I'm kind of doing the same thing. Trading in a 800 hp capable duramax. Only thing wrong with it is the rust lol

So what are the bells and whistles?

Drive home was good. Has a slight vibration at 70 to 82 but I think its tires. Not sure will dig into it soon. Plans are to take the lift off and lower the rear and front. Ditch the 35s for the 420s I have now and save up for some radials. Anyone got recommendations on wheels for some radials? Throw a caliper on the turbo and figure out how much bigger I need to go. Want to get it to the track soonish and on a dyno. Retuning it with mcc from my tuner here soon. Also what's everyone running for oil in their built engines? I've always done rotella t6 but have heard good things about cenpenco especially after tony tore down his ucc truck

Drive home was good. Has a slight vibration at 70 to 82 but I think its tires. Not sure will dig into it soon. Plans are to take the lift off and lower the rear and front. Ditch the 35s for the 420s I have now and save up for some radials. Anyone got recommendations on wheels for some radials? Throw a caliper on the turbo and figure out how much bigger I need to go. Want to get it to the track soonish and on a dyno. Retuning it with mcc from my tuner here soon. Also what's everyone running for oil in their built engines? I've always done rotella t6 but have heard good things about cenpenco especially after tony tore down his ucc truck

I’ve always ran schaeffer's 15-40 racing oil with the added zinc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard some different things. Few guys have said rotella t6 or your whatever your oil of choice is and a zinc package. Few have said to stay clear of that and run amsoil 20w50 dominator or the pennegrade 20w50 oil.

I've been running the bradpenn or penngrade 20w50 so far. Got about 600 miles on it as of today. Definitely stays cleaner than any oil I've used before. Checked it the other day and it still looked somewhat new. I'm used to oil blackening after a few miles on diesels.

I'm just going to use this as build/question/info thread I guess instead of starting another. Got the truck home. Re did quite a bit of stuff already. New ccv filter, oil feed and returns, lift pump pressure was only 3psi. Changed fuel filters no difference. They were about rusted through so it needed it anyways. Seems like someone cut the spring down before cause pressure was too high. Stretched it out made some shims back 25 to 30 psi. Rail doesnt fluctuate so I'm leaving it there. Got a new splitter cause the old one had some rub through. Zip tied and packed with dialectic grease idk how many wires. Had a fluctuating rail issue before I did the lift pump which I think was from the splitter. Threw a powerflow on the belt. Picking up a billet valve cover for it with 3/4 npt fittings and going to some braided hose and a catch can. Any recommendations on a catch can? Did a new manifold gaskets with new studs as the old ones were almost rounded off and some were finger loose when I checked.. Tightened up some suspension stuff. Going to order a new dual stabilizer. Checked valve lash but going to re do it after I do the valve cover. Changed the oil to bradpenn 20w50. Headlights are a cluster phuck. Need to completely re wire them but in no hurry. Drivers side has a flicker. They're morimoto with some diodide dynamics **** flopping around. Idk **** about head lights or hid led yada yada so guess I'll learn now. Re wired the converter lock up switch as it was unhooked. Had the clean up the windshield washer fluid plug as it had got gunked up from rainx. No more low fluid light. Got a nice rainx bath doing that as I thought it was empty. Now rain beads up on my skin and rolls off. Pretty nice actually. Re did the exhaust and stuck 6in tip on it. Over the winter I'm going to hit a couple spots with my grinder and por 15 the entire thing. Plan is to go to 300% over injectors over the winter and a single s476 87 1.10 Or maybe compound off the 72. Not sure yet. Still need to get it retuned. Thinking I'm going to go with firepunk.

Sounds like it needed a bit of RM but got a good owner that'll keep everything in tip top shape. Probably for the best of the truck that you ended up with it. Congrats again.

Thanks man it's been alot. I know the gf isnt too happy about the last few weeks every eve I have off I'm in the shop but she gets it. I know she is tired of washing my diesel soaked clothes as the other night I took a diesel bath and she made me sit them outside :rofl

So what options do I have for lowering this truck? Shackles in the rear and cutting a coil or what's everyone doing?

Back