08 Cummins very little to no power steering

coorsman2005

i like beer
Been dealing with this for a while. Done some searching ppl say there is a screen. Well I pulled it apart to find no screen. So I pulled my other one off my other motor just to see if it had one and it didn’t either.

If you turn it real slow it will turn pretty easy. The faster you try to turn it gets hard as hell. What’s some ideas to try

Weak pump, garbage balled up in the hydro, or steering box.
It's likely wear related.

Mark.

What sort of front end upgrades does your truck have? OEM gear box, linkage? Tire size? Miles on the power steering pump?

I'm with Mark, you have a flow rate problem.
If you really want to dig in, you could check the system for hot spots (bypassing fluid).

You might have a relief valve stuck open in the pump, but if it is, that debris had to come from somewhere

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Does it 'hiss' at all?
The high pressure lines coming off the pump have a Teflon liner that likes to come off anywhere from 30k-160k. If you pull the line off, you can pull the white Teflon line all the way out and it seems to perform just fine. Mine has been removed for some time with no issues.

Otherwise I'd say your pump is pretty dead.

I have done the 2010 hd up grade or what ever you wanna call it.
Steering box stabilizer 6” lift dual steering stabilizer running 35” tires.

Have about 120k on the pump stock steering box (original)
No hissing or squealing noises.

Where is the valves at can I access them with the pump I place.

Thanks.

Where is the valves at can I access them with the pump I place.

It's on the back of the pump and helps support the reservoir if I remember correctly. I can't say I've ever tried messing with one on the truck though. It might be worth taking it off just to look it over. It's easy to do, just takes ~30min.

Best to pull the pump.
Removing, or attempting to, the reservoir on the truck is a problematic task, at best.

Mark.

That’s fairly low miles on the pump and box. Sounds like more to this equation you’ve yet to find.

I know of a truck running original pump with 360k, turning a red head box.

Back